Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest food_adventurer

In need of ideas for my culinary adventure

Rate this topic

Guest food_adventurer

One of my hobbies is eating strange and exotic things, problem is, what is permissible for me to eat is limited as a Muslim. Can you help me come up with ideas? Having Fadlallah as my marji3, my restrictions aren't as strict (I believe I can eat most seafoods). 

I've had sheep head, frogs (didn't know it's haram at time), octopus, balut (also didn't know),  aaaand that's pretty much it. All I've come up with is locusts, chicken feet, ostrich eggs, vegan meat substitutes, pineapple pizza. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as I know, no parts of halal animals are haram to eat, though some parts are makrooh. 

Do you hunt or forage? I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but there are hundreds of edible varieties in the wild. Have you tried pokeweed? Pickled bamboo? Sassafras? Or do you only seek exotic meats? 

Goat and chicken liver. It's quite tasty actually. 

[EDIT] and fried brain :P

Casa Marzu (cheese with live insects)

See if you can get a Durian from somewhere

Edited by starlight

33 minutes ago, starlight said:

Goat liver.....and fried brain

My favourites. Beef liver/brain too.

OP you can try beef tripe/intestine. Unique in taste. Well you need to know how to process & cook properly.

I heard fried fish scales is tasty too. Never tried though.

Guest food_adventurer
13 hours ago, notme said:

As far as I know, no parts of halal animals are haram to eat, though some parts are makrooh. 

You may have opened a floodgate. Are they really only mahrooh? I thought eating things like testicles, spine marrow, glands are haram. If they're only makrooh then I'll have a field day.

13 hours ago, notme said:

Do you hunt or forage? I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but there are hundreds of edible varieties in the wild. Have you tried pokeweed? Pickled bamboo? Sassafras? Or do you only seek exotic meats? 

I do not.

Yes, mushrooms are an angle I didn't consider, thanks for the suggestion. 

I seek foods that have a freak-out factor, something bizarre. Like pickled chicken feet or a carrot that weighs 20 lbs.

10 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Did you ever buy a sack of gizzards or chicken/turkey hearts? Halal of course.

Yes, I love giblets. Thanks for the suggestion.

10 hours ago, starlight said:

Goat and chicken liver. It's quite tasty actually. 

[EDIT] and fried brain :P

Casa Marzu (cheese with live insects)

See if you can get a Durian from somewhere

Hmmm, I've never had liver from a mammal.

I bough a sheep head the other day with my friend and almost had fried sheep brain. I say almost because try as we might, we couldn't get through the skull despite smashing it with a metal bludgeon. Gives me relief knowing that skulls are that hard to crack.

I could be mistaken, but I believe locusts are the only halal bug.

I've heard of the infamous durian and think they sell it in my area. Thanks for the suggestions.

9 hours ago, Stitcher said:

OP you can try beef tripe/intestine. Unique in taste. Well you need to know how to process & cook properly.

That should be interesting, thanks for the suggestion.

I have had them. Some fish scales taste better than others, seems like smaller fish are better.

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

here is so much different kinds of stuff in the sea, just google and bon appetite I would say.

I hope mermaids are halal

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

10 hours ago, Stitcher said:

My favourites. Beef liver/brain too.

How is beef liver and brain even halal  and how can anyone willingly consume that stuff 

1 hour ago, Guest food_adventurer said:

but I believe locusts are the only halal bug.

Also crickets. For inspiration 

1 hour ago, Guest food_adventurer said:

I hope mermaids are halal

Are they Halal? What do you mean, you've never eaten mermaids?? :shock:

38 minutes ago, 2Timeless said:

How is beef liver and brain even halal

According to which marja they are haram, may I know?

Click here & see issue 2635 :)

2 hours ago, Guest food_adventurer said:

I bought a sheep head the other day

Which reminds me of this culinary story. My ex had to go somewhere and she wanted me to prep a sheep's head.

So l get the fire all ready, put the head on the grill like she told me and checked it every few minutes. After an hour or more she calls back and asks how it went. I told her that I haven't been able to get the skin off. She freaks. I was only supposed to get the hair/wool off, not cook it.

She gets home, inspects the disaster. Her delayed reaction was :dwarf:"Aahhhhhh, l ought to chop your head." Which is what she said.

That thing stunk to lower heaven. The smell was in my clothes. And a week later my neighbor asked what I had been doing because they could smell it inside their house.

Moral of the story? Men, stay with the microwave.

53 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

My grandfather liked scrabbled brains very much.

My great great aunt reportedly loved squirrel brains. I don't know whether squirrels are halal though. They eat nuts, seeds, and bugs.

4 hours ago, Guest food_adventurer said:

Are they really only mahrooh? I thought eating things like testicles, spine marrow, glands are haram. If they're only makrooh then I'll have a field day.

You should consult your marja's risala. I'm not certain, and also rulings may vary.

Guest food_adventurer

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I also thought of something, century eggs

century-egg.jpg

11 hours ago, Guest food_adventurer said:

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I also thought of something, century eggs

century-egg.jpg

I've never seen that, but my oldest kid loves pickled eggs. The pink color is nicer than the black and brown of yours.

10 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

how many ex's do you have?

One ____ dang too many.  

:ranting:"And you just ruined my snack which l am trying to now digest."

There is one man, now deceased about twelve-thirteen years, l knew who was marred eight times. :fever:"Sickening, ain't it?"

He died after re-marring his third wife. He had one or more brats with every one of them l believe.

He actually died a slow, agonizing death. One thing he had, whatever it was, whenever he moved he broke a bone. Last l heard back then was he had 141 confirmed broken/cracked bones and lived another week or so. He'd move in bed and he break one. I cannot feel sorry for him as he chose the life of a masochist.