Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mujahida roshni

Religion based career

Aslamalekum.. I am a student of dental science  but sometimes There is a strong feeling in my heart to being Zakira or something which benefits my religion I truly want to do something for my religion ..and want to know experiences about what should I do? 

should I be a dentist and being a dentist I should try to do something for my religion but I am not perfecty sure what I can do in that case or I should be Islamic scholar ?

Ws. Why can't you be both?

One of the greatest calamities our hawzas have had is having scholars who only and only specialize in religious sciences. For a vast majority, this has also meant that they rely on the religion to feed, clothe and house them : a recipe for disaster and potential compromise of the independence of the scholars.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, mujahida roshni said:

Aslamalekum.. I am a student of dental science  but sometimes There is a strong feeling in my heart to being Zakira or something which benefits my religion I truly want to do something for my religion ..and want to know experiences about what should I do? 

should I be a dentist and being a dentist I should try to do something for my religion but I am not perfecty sure what I can do in that case or I should be Islamic scholar ?

Salam brother :bye:

There is a verse in the Qu'ran about this. It talks about a group of people who remain behind to study the religion, instead of struggling on the battlefield as the majority of Muslims where doing at the time. 

"And it is not for the believers to go forth [to battle] all at once. For there should separate from every division of them a group [remaining] to obtain understanding in the religion and warn their people when they return to them that they might be cautious." (9:122)

Majority of the Muslims are working today, and have careers and conventional jobs. And this is great! But this does not mean that a separate segment of people should not exist, who are solely concerned with religious studies.

If you feel called being an Islamic Scholar, and you feel like you can achieve the necessary education (hawza etc.), then go for it! Guiding others by sound knowledge is a great blessing, both in the dunya and ahirah.

And if you wish to pursue being a dentist, you can still dedicate some free time during your weekends to improve your knowledge base.

Guest Monad

That feeling that most youth had. It is a feeling of delusion. What has religion served?. Can it build a home? water system? bridges? farming?. No, but it can educate a small minority towards virtue, while the rest will be as ignorant to it, including the learned.

Finish your degree, have earning power, learn the deeper religion on the side and when you get that calling to do good, go and give the poor free dentistry. Let us know how much your ego is hurt when you have to give something for free when its value is X figures and expect nothing in return. Somewhere in the middle of no where.