Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
yh5RiSbMoPc5kL

Not observing hijab during weddings (rant)

Rate this topic

People tend to mix their religion with culture. Most of the people do not abide by religious rulings with complete understanding. Rather they follow religion as a cultural practice I.e. they wear hijab just because they grew up in a Muslim society. And when there is a conflict between culture & religion they will prioritize 'culture'.
As for wedding or any celebration it is a common trend to beautify thyselves as much as possible and woman who consider religion as a culture, do not find it hard to remove hijab during these occasions.

2 hours ago, yh5RiSbMoPc5kL said:

Is there a Hadith somewhere that says we can commit haram on the day of our weddings?

Obviosuly Not!!
Marriage itself is one of the highest form of worship. A worship full of sinful acts, what can be the possible outcome of that worship? I don't know. But this can be one of the many reasons that marriages are not very successful these days.

Anyway.....your username!! :shock:
I can't imagine if this is your username what your password looks like?
How come you log in your account without getting your device bricked! :ko:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

There's often lots of problems in weddings by both the people hosting and people attending, whether it's a mixed or not. Ive been to nonmixed weddings of some "religious" people and suddenly  out of nowhere you see a videographer recording the room full of women without hijab, because these poor women thought that since no men were there they could take their hijab off. Conversely, my religious parent's mixed wedding was in her family's living room and my wore full hijab and no makeup, and there wasn't music or dancing, just dinner. 

Edited by Lilly14

9 hours ago, starlight said:

Women have an innate desire to beautify themselves. This increases greatly when there are gatherings. Expecting women to attend weddings barefaced and wearing chador and abayas would be expecting them to go against their nature. We need to develop a culture where gatherings are segregated and men,because they are generally the ones overseeing the arrangements, need to provide an environment both inside the home and out where women can get dressed up,wear makeup etc without namehram interference.

I agree 100% with this (the part about segregated gatherings. It just frustrates me when normally people who are extremely religious throw a mixed wedding for their children, like where's the Islam? Especially frustrating when it's people who are close to you and you know that they know the rulings 

7 hours ago, Stitcher said:

Anyway.....your username!! :shock:
I can't imagine if this is your username what your password looks like?
How come you log in your account without getting your device bricked! :ko:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Lol I use a password manager that saves usernames and passwords for me. It's randomly generated 

There are people suffering in the world. No food, no clean water. People dying of malnutrition. Husbands leaving their wife and children. People breaking apart families. People being raped on college campuses all over the country. People being denied access to the right to get an education, basic healthcare. Single moms and dads struggling to put food on the table.

And you are regurgitating the same stuff like why women wear makeup in weddings and questioning why weddings in general are mixed? We wear makeup because we want to.

Get away from your computer screens and think about how to solve real world issues instead of worrying about how people have fun and celebrate weddings.

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

There are people suffering in the world. No food, no clean water. People dying of malnutrition. Husbands leaving their wife and children. People breaking apart families. People being raped on college campuses all over the country. People being denied access to the right to get an education, basic healthcare. Single moms and dads struggling to put food on the table.

And you are regurgitating the same stuff like why women wear makeup in weddings and questioning why weddings in general are mixed? We wear makeup because we want to.

Get away from your computer screens and think about how to solve real world issues instead of worrying about how people have fun and celebrate weddings.

Self growth begins by avoiding the haram and committing to the wajib, and I am asking why we do such a large haram by violating the rules of hijab. Also, shouldn't you be off your computer too, solving all those problems?

3 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

There are people suffering in the world. No food, no clean water. People dying of malnutrition. Husbands leaving their wife and children. People breaking apart families. People being raped on college campuses all over the country. People being denied access to the right to get an education, basic healthcare. Single moms and dads struggling to put food on the table.

And you are regurgitating the same stuff like why women wear makeup in weddings and questioning why weddings in general are mixed? We wear makeup because we want to.

Topics about external appearances are the low hanging fruit for Muslim discourse.

Other topics are too deep and complicated. 

14 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I don’t see the relation of the issues you’ve mentioned with the topic here. Yes, those are real problems but the one OP stated is too. Mixed weddings and women wearing makeup in front of na mehram promotes a culture of immodesty in our community where they have crossed the boundary of Islam. Why do women get so offended when anybody talks about their mistakes especially when it comes to hijab/ make up?

Also, if it wasn’t that significant then there wouldn’t have been a whole letter Imam Ali wrote to one of his companions advising him against attending these kind of events.

Discussing topics like these might be a wake up call for some who never realised they’ve been doing this wrong. 

Edited by arch1027116

10 hours ago, arch1027116 said:

xed weddings and women wearing makeup in front of na mehram promotes a culture of immodesty in our community where they have crossed the boundary of Islam. Why do women get so offended when anybody talks about their mistakes especially when it comes to hijab/ make up?

Because makeup is not haram nor in of itself immodest. So people putting their own ideas of what is haram/halal is what makes this statement so offensive. 

Men and women co-exist in society. They need to learn to live together peacefully. Weddings are a time for family and friends to celebrate a union. Not a time to be critical of one another. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

34 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

So people putting their own ideas of what is haram/halal is what makes this statement so offensive. 

But displaying one's adornment in front of namehram men is, which is the topic of this thread. 

Just now, starlight said:

But displaying one's adornment in front of namehram men is, which is the topic of this thread. 

Makeup is not necessarily “adornment” since many women have bad skin and try to make themselves look a bit better. What matters is the intention. Even marjas have said that makeup is allowed under the condition that a woman’s intention is not to stir up lust in men. 

18 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Makeup is not necessarily “adornment” since many women have bad skin and try to make themselves look a bit better. 

Smokey eyes, glittery eye shades, MAC Ruby woo, Russian red, contouring, Kylie Jenner lip kits  and Huda eyelashes?:shifty:

Okay, so what about Hijab? 

16 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Makeup is not necessarily “adornment” since many women have bad skin and try to make themselves look a bit better. What matters is the intention. Even marjas have said that makeup is allowed under the condition that a woman’s intention is not to stir up lust in men. 

Only the makeup that is used to hide ones scars/ flaws is allowed and that would essentially be just foundation and concealer, Not wearing mascara, eyeliner, kohl pencil, highlighter, blush, bronzer, false lashes. All these things actually beauty you and makes you look attractive in front of na mehram which would nullify the entire purpose of hijab (to hide ones beauty). Half knowledge is dangerous and please don’t state things that are false. I don’t think so any marja says that you can beautify yourself if your intention isn’t to lure men. If thats the case I would go out without hijab in public because I never really want to attract men but just look good on the roads for myself. 

On 8/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, yh5RiSbMoPc5kL said:

Why do people think it’s okay to 

1- have a mixed wedding

2- have women wearing makeup in front of non mahrams

1. Its their choice. If you are not comfortable with attending a mixed wedding then you can respectfully decline the invitation.

2. Same as above. A person has the freedom do whatever they wish to do. Now, whether it is halal or haram is between them and Allah. However, nowhere does Islam mandate forced compliance with Islamic laws.

Again, if you are uncomfortable attending then you have the choice to not attend. 

BTW...Is this your own wedding that you are speaking of, or are you speaking of weddings that you are invited to?

Is there a Hadith somewhere that says we can commit haram on the day of our weddings?

Haram is haram & halal is halal. You don't need a hadith to explain that. What you choose to do, or not to do, is between you and Allah. Your merits for your actions are accounted to you accordingly, as are the demerits. The same happens towards everyone else.

I’m not sure how people can call themselves Muslims and still blatantly violate Allah’s command

Are we all so infallible that we can speak that way about others, when we ourselves are guilty of missteps? I know I am not one to point the finger at anyone regarding piety, modesty or anything else for that matter when I've got enough on my plate regarding those issues myself. No one is perfect, some people are closer to it than others, but no one is there other than the 12th Imam (عليه السلام) right now. 

16 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Camel hump

I've never been able to understand what the reason is for that type of hijab? It makes their head look deformed and extended in the back. Isn't it basically a foam pad that they attach to the back of the hijab? 

Why is there a fashion craze for that these days? Is it a cultural thing for a specific group of Muslims?

23 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

I've never been able to understand what the reason is for that type of hijab? It makes their head look deformed and extended in the back. Isn't it basically a foam pad that they attach to the back of the hijab? 

Why is there a fashion craze for that these days? Is it a cultural thing for a specific group of Muslims?

Thank you for your earlier reply, it was very refreshing. 

As for the camel hump, it's not a foam pad. It's usually just hair put in a higher bun. Some women have thick hair so having the shape of the bun show roughly is inevitable. Some women do use a clip to add more volume, but bear in mind that some women just have longer, thicker hair. 

49 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

Also known as the the big bun, the khaleeji hijab is characterized by a rounded bulge emerging from the back of the head, which is supposed to give the impression of a cascading mane of hair that's been neatly coiled up into a bun.

After settling on a shop next to the East London Mosque—a shop whose website proudly displays a model wearing her hijab in the bulbous Khaleeji style—we asked the sales girl for some general headscarf advice. She walked to the back of the store and opened a box full of flower-clips—puffy, flower-shaped pom-poms designed to add volume to the back of your hijab.    

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/nnqwwd/khaleeji-hijab