Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam Alaykum!

Just wondering, is Somalia 100% Sunni? Like are there no Shia at all? I’ve recently gotten an “apprentice” at my work place who is a Sunni.

So we discuss from time to time and he even admitted that he doesn’t know that much about Shia since they weren’t taught anything about them in Somalia

How should one go about debating with such people who are biased, but are willing to debate? They bring facts from Al Bukhari and rarely from the Qur'an.

On paper it is 100% (Sunni) Muslim. Percentage wise, more Muslims than Saudi (given the foreigners working there).

According to the book Culture and Customs of Somalia by Mohammed Diriye Abdullahi, there are only a few Shia.

Of course, in the West we have Somali individuals who have become Shia though.

20190812_123537.jpg

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

On 8/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, MohannadAlHamdani said:

Salam Alaykum!

Just wondering, is Somalia 100% Sunni? Like are there no Shia at all? I’ve recently gotten an “apprentice” at my work place who is a Sunni.

So we discuss from time to time and he even admitted that he doesn’t know that much about Shia since they weren’t taught anything about them in Somalia

How should one go about debating with such people who are biased, but are willing to debate? They bring facts from Al Bukhari and rarely from the Qur'an.

You can give Istadlal from Qur'an. Qur'an itself confirms our belief.

3 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

You can give Istadlal from Qur'an. Qur'an itself confirms our belief.

And that’s what I’ve been doing brother, he keeps saying “ehhh its a Shia site, ehhh its not real” and just keeps quiet.:hahaha:

On 8/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, MohannadAlHamdani said:

Salam Alaykum!

There are very few Shia somalis, ethiopians and sudanese. There used to be a few on the site some years back (10-15 years ago).

What is more worrying is the disappearance or rapid reduction of shafi3i somalis. Tariqa ones. These are/were very close to shi'ism and with a little effort on our part could come in on droves. But wahhabis have had a strong encroachment and take over of the region. 

21 minutes ago, MohannadAlHamdani said:

And that’s what I’ve been doing brother, he keeps saying “ehhh its a Shia site, ehhh its not real” and just keeps quiet.:hahaha:

Hmmm then leave him unless he questions you and then even by contrasting Qur'an and their hadith books, you can answer him.

3 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

Hmmm then leave him unless he questions you and then even by contrasting Qur'an and their hadith books, you can answer him.

Brother he works under me at my workplace as an apprentice so we often have discussions haha. I’ve shown him Sahih Al Bukhari ahadith which contradicts Islam, gives points to Shia and other things. He keeps saying it’s just Shia sources

52 minutes ago, MohannadAlHamdani said:

Brother he works under me at my workplace as an apprentice so we often have discussions haha. I’ve shown him Sahih Al Bukhari ahadith which contradicts Islam, gives points to Shia and other things. He keeps saying it’s just Shia sources

So, brother there is no need to argue with him. If he wants it, he will achieve it even if people prevent him and if he doesn't want, even miracles can't convince him. 

@MohannadAlHamdani and if you question him often, he will think that you are forcing him because you are his boss which is not ideal as I believe and he will go away rather than near. If you want him that he does not think like that than keep him comfortable.so that he may at least become a source to spread respect among two sects because of your good conduct.

Edited by Flying_Eagle

9 hours ago, Flying_Eagle said:

@MohannadAlHamdani and if you question him often, he will think that you are forcing him because you are his boss which is not ideal as I believe and he will go away rather than near. If you want him that he does not think like that than keep him comfortable.so that he may at least become a source to spread respect among two sects because of your good conduct.

Yes brother I completely agree! We always respect each other in arguments and we don’t push each other.

He claims to dislike salafi/wahabism and Saudia in general but shows traits of wahabism like for example: his father is dead (May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) have mercy on him) and he says that he won’t weep or cry for him because it’s haram??

Another example is he detests people who cry, especially men. This was hinted towards Ashura.

So I try to talk to him comfortably and explain to him, never once in anger. I can see his perception of Shia change and in the one month we have worked together he has learned more about Ahlul Sunna, Ahlul Bayt, Shia misconceptions etc...

But Inshallah one day he will atleast drop the wahabi thinking.

3 hours ago, MohannadAlHamdani said:

Yes brother I completely agree! We always respect each other in arguments and we don’t push each other.

He claims to dislike salafi/wahabism and Saudia in general but shows traits of wahabism like for example: his father is dead (May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) have mercy on him) and he says that he won’t weep or cry for him because it’s haram??

Another example is he detests people who cry, especially men. This was hinted towards Ashura.

So I try to talk to him comfortably and explain to him, never once in anger. I can see his perception of Shia change and in the one month we have worked together he has learned more about Ahlul Sunna, Ahlul Bayt, Shia misconceptions etc...

But Inshallah one day he will atleast drop the wahabi thinking.

Jazak-Allah brother. That is what Imams taught us to do in discussions.

Al-Shabab attacks US airbase, EU convoy in Somalia

https://en.abna24.com/news//al-shabab-attacks-us-airbase-eu-convoy-in-somalia_979376.html

September 30, 2019 - 4:36 PM News Code : 979376 Source : AFPLink: 

A US military base used to launch drones and a European military convoy have been hit in separate attacks in Somalia.

A Reuters journalist saw a seriously damaged armoured vehicle bearing a small Italian flag sticker in the capital, Mogadishu, on Monday. It was unclear if there were any casualties.

Italy’s defence ministry said in a statement that an Italian military convoy had been hit by an explosion. No injuries had been reported so far, the ministry said.

Also on Monday, a base operated by US special forces in the town of Baledogle was hit by a bomb attack followed by small arms fire, a security source told Reuters.

The terrorist group al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack. “In the early hours of Monday morning, an elite unit of soldiers from al-Shabaab Brigade launched a daring raid on the US military base,” the group’s press release said. “After breaching the perimeters of the heavily fortified base, the militants stormed the military complex, engaging the crusaders in an intense firefight.”

The base is in the Lower Shabelle region, about 60 miles (100km) west of Mogadishu. It is a launching site for US drone operations against al-Shaabab, an al-Qaida-linked group that controls large parts of Somalia, as well as ISIS in Somalia.

Mohammed Adan, a Somali elder who was close to the scene of the attack, told Agence France-Presse by phone: “Two heavy explosions occurred, the first one bigger than the other. There was also a heavy exchange of gunfire after the blasts but we don’t know about the details.”

In the other incident, a security official said EU advisers training the Somali national army were attacked by a car bomb in Mogadishu.

“There was a car bomb targeting the EU military advisers along the industrial road. A vehicle loaded with explosive was rammed on to one of the convoy vehicles and there are casualties,” said Omar Abikar, a Somali security officer.

Italy’s vice-minister of foreign affairs, Emanuela Del Re, said on Twitter that Italian soldiers had been targeted in the attack. “Very worried for the explosion at the passage of Italian soldiers EUTM in Somalia,” she said, referring to the EU training mission in Somalia.

Site Intelligence, which monitors terrorists activities worldwide, said al-Shabaab had claimed responsibility for both attacks. They are the latest in a long line of bombings and assaults claimed by the group.

The terrorists were driven out of Mogadishu in 2011 by government forces backed by 20,000 African Union peacekeepers. But they still carry out attacks including suicide bombings against government targets.

17 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

https://en.abna24.com/news//al-shabab-attacks-us-airbase-eu-convoy-in-somalia_979376.html

September 30, 2019 - 4:36 PM News Code : 979376 Source : AFPLink: 

A US military base used to launch drones and a European military convoy have been hit in separate attacks in Somalia.

A Reuters journalist saw a seriously damaged armoured vehicle bearing a small Italian flag sticker in the capital, Mogadishu, on Monday. It was unclear if there were any casualties.

Italy’s defence ministry said in a statement that an Italian military convoy had been hit by an explosion. No injuries had been reported so far, the ministry said.

Also on Monday, a base operated by US special forces in the town of Baledogle was hit by a bomb attack followed by small arms fire, a security source told Reuters.

The terrorist group al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack. “In the early hours of Monday morning, an elite unit of soldiers from al-Shabaab Brigade launched a daring raid on the US military base,” the group’s press release said. “After breaching the perimeters of the heavily fortified base, the militants stormed the military complex, engaging the crusaders in an intense firefight.”

The base is in the Lower Shabelle region, about 60 miles (100km) west of Mogadishu. It is a launching site for US drone operations against al-Shaabab, an al-Qaida-linked group that controls large parts of Somalia, as well as ISIS in Somalia.

Mohammed Adan, a Somali elder who was close to the scene of the attack, told Agence France-Presse by phone: “Two heavy explosions occurred, the first one bigger than the other. There was also a heavy exchange of gunfire after the blasts but we don’t know about the details.”

In the other incident, a security official said EU advisers training the Somali national army were attacked by a car bomb in Mogadishu.

“There was a car bomb targeting the EU military advisers along the industrial road. A vehicle loaded with explosive was rammed on to one of the convoy vehicles and there are casualties,” said Omar Abikar, a Somali security officer.

Italy’s vice-minister of foreign affairs, Emanuela Del Re, said on Twitter that Italian soldiers had been targeted in the attack. “Very worried for the explosion at the passage of Italian soldiers EUTM in Somalia,” she said, referring to the EU training mission in Somalia.

Site Intelligence, which monitors terrorists activities worldwide, said al-Shabaab had claimed responsibility for both attacks. They are the latest in a long line of bombings and assaults claimed by the group.

The terrorists were driven out of Mogadishu in 2011 by government forces backed by 20,000 African Union peacekeepers. But they still carry out attacks including suicide bombings against government targets.

What does this have to do with my question?