Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Heavenly_Silk

As a kid, what were your career aspirations?

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Not even Sesemeseed Street ?

Ugh, not since they got that annoying Elmo character!

There's this one show with talking trucks that teaches kids physics and engineering that I occasionally watch. Don't know what it's called. That and Paw Patrol, which is ridiculous but my son likes it. 

I wanted to be an astronaut, but when I realized that this wasn't going to happen & after my parents got divorced, I gave up on having career aspirations.

Most of my jobs have been foodservice, retail, or construction but I have never kept a job for over three years because I have some MH issues.

I realized recently that I don't want to work for someone else, and I'm trying to figure out a way to start my own business although I'm not sure what it's going to be yet because I have no credit, don't really have any marketable skills, and have no resources to start anything up.

3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Did you ever consider working for the ClA ?

:rolleyes: "Just a passing suggestion."

Honestly, I was going to join the Army at one point in time. Had DEP'd in and everything, and then realized that I didn't believe in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, so I just never shipped out.

Sometimes I think that this was a bad decision, but then I realize that I would have just snapped from the pressure of military life and I realize that I made the best possible decision not to go.

Nice joke though

Edited by Abdul-Hadi

3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Everybody has a couple of persistent hassles in Life. Just keep chuggin', inshallah.

I feel like mine never end.

I realize that they aren't as awful as a lot of people's-- I have a mother & sister who love me, enough food, shelter, I don't have bombs raining down on me (yet)-- but the problems I do have, namely the illness, seem like they're really strenuous and awful. I guess that's because suffering is relative to one's situation.

Of course, it could also be that my illness makes me perceive the challenges I have as being worse than they are. That's entirely possible

6 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I feel like mine never end.

I realize that they aren't as awful as a lot of people's-- I have a mother & sister who love me, enough food, shelter, I don't have bombs raining down on me (yet)-- but the problems I do have, namely the illness, seem like they're really strenuous and awful. I guess that's because suffering is relative to one's situation.

Of course, it could also be that my illness makes me perceive the challenges I have as being worse than they are. That's entirely possible

Keep your sense of frustration under control and this will help, too.

18 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Keep your sense of frustration under control and this will help, too.

That's a hard one because a lot of the time I feel trapped with my back against the wall; especially now that I am 34 and have no real career prospects.

1 hour ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

That's a hard one because a lot of the time I feel trapped with my back against the wall; especially now that I am 34 and have no real career prospects.

l can relate to that!

lnshallah, you'll get something and start there.

l was 37 when l got a good job.

At this point, all I really want is a stable job in construction that's not ridiculously difficult and is something I can pick up & get skilled at relatively quickly.

I had taken a class for HVAC, but that didn't turn into a job because the tools you need are incredibly expensive ($800 worth of sensors and probes alone) and all the teacher did for the first two hours of each day was talk about Jesus (عليه السلام) and try to get the class to drive forty miles to go to his evangelical church.

2 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I also was close to that age when I got my first good, professional job. I was 32. I had always worked, but nothing that earns much money or warrants a line on my résumé. 

1 hour ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

At this point, all I really want is a stable job in construction that's not ridiculously difficult and is something I can pick up & get skilled at relatively quickly.

Most construction jobs are like this. What the employers want more than "experience" is no mistakes and no unsafe actions.

When i was 6, I saw the movie Matilda, and wanted to be a Miss Honey, A teacher.

Later when i was in grade 11/12 i wanted to be a doctor.

5 years later I ended up in hospital, suffered with my health, almost in coma. Had a second chance in life.

And today I am a medical student, graduating next year. AlhamduliAllah.  God takes and gives as he pleases.