Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

As a kid, what were your career aspirations?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Not even Sesemeseed Street ?

Ugh, not since they got that annoying Elmo character!

There's this one show with talking trucks that teaches kids physics and engineering that I occasionally watch. Don't know what it's called. That and Paw Patrol, which is ridiculous but my son likes it. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A physicist, model(lol, yes very briefly) fashion designer, advertising business journalist, stay at home pampered wife. :P Ironically, the only two things I abolutely didn't want to be were doct

When I was six years old my baby brother was born. From that time on, I wanted to get married and become a mother. Wherever I went, if I saw a baby I asked to hold it. I was obsessed with babies. 

When my oldest son was little, maybe 4 or 5, I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. He looked at me like I was crazy, and replied "a man".

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I wanted to be an astronaut, but when I realized that this wasn't going to happen & after my parents got divorced, I gave up on having career aspirations.

Most of my jobs have been foodservice, retail, or construction but I have never kept a job for over three years because I have some MH issues.

I realized recently that I don't want to work for someone else, and I'm trying to figure out a way to start my own business although I'm not sure what it's going to be yet because I have no credit, don't really have any marketable skills, and have no resources to start anything up.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Did you ever consider working for the ClA ?

:rolleyes: "Just a passing suggestion."

Honestly, I was going to join the Army at one point in time. Had DEP'd in and everything, and then realized that I didn't believe in the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, so I just never shipped out.

Sometimes I think that this was a bad decision, but then I realize that I would have just snapped from the pressure of military life and I realize that I made the best possible decision not to go.

Nice joke though

Edited by Abdul-Hadi
3 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Everybody has a couple of persistent hassles in Life. Just keep chuggin', inshallah.

I feel like mine never end.

I realize that they aren't as awful as a lot of people's-- I have a mother & sister who love me, enough food, shelter, I don't have bombs raining down on me (yet)-- but the problems I do have, namely the illness, seem like they're really strenuous and awful. I guess that's because suffering is relative to one's situation.

Of course, it could also be that my illness makes me perceive the challenges I have as being worse than they are. That's entirely possible

• Veteran Member
6 minutes ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I feel like mine never end.

I realize that they aren't as awful as a lot of people's-- I have a mother & sister who love me, enough food, shelter, I don't have bombs raining down on me (yet)-- but the problems I do have, namely the illness, seem like they're really strenuous and awful. I guess that's because suffering is relative to one's situation.

Of course, it could also be that my illness makes me perceive the challenges I have as being worse than they are. That's entirely possible

Keep your sense of frustration under control and this will help, too.

18 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Keep your sense of frustration under control and this will help, too.

That's a hard one because a lot of the time I feel trapped with my back against the wall; especially now that I am 34 and have no real career prospects.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

That's a hard one because a lot of the time I feel trapped with my back against the wall; especially now that I am 34 and have no real career prospects.

l can relate to that!

lnshallah, you'll get something and start there.

l was 37 when l got a good job.

At this point, all I really want is a stable job in construction that's not ridiculously difficult and is something I can pick up & get skilled at relatively quickly.

I had taken a class for HVAC, but that didn't turn into a job because the tools you need are incredibly expensive ($800 worth of sensors and probes alone) and all the teacher did for the first two hours of each day was talk about Jesus (عليه السلام) and try to get the class to drive forty miles to go to his evangelical church.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I also was close to that age when I got my first good, professional job. I was 32. I had always worked, but nothing that earns much money or warrants a line on my résumé. 

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

At this point, all I really want is a stable job in construction that's not ridiculously difficult and is something I can pick up & get skilled at relatively quickly.

Most construction jobs are like this. What the employers want more than "experience" is no mistakes and no unsafe actions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

When i was 6, I saw the movie Matilda, and wanted to be a Miss Honey, A teacher.

Later when i was in grade 11/12 i wanted to be a doctor.

5 years later I ended up in hospital, suffered with my health, almost in coma. Had a second chance in life.

And today I am a medical student, graduating next year. AlhamduliAllah.  God takes and gives as he pleases.

• 1 month later...
  • Basic Members

From the ages of 5-8, a vet. I was raised with animals so this seemed a good idea. 

From 8-12, a marine biologist. It was my dream to study penguins in the Antarctic. 

13-16, an engineer. Particularly mechanical engineering, but I also liked robotics and cybernetics. Used to binge watch a whole bunch of technology shows. 

17-20: History teacher. I took classical history as a high school subject and it was my major in university too. I did some lectures in university teaching though and realised that I didn't like it enough to make it a career. 

I'm now a ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) teacher. I plan to make a career out of this so I'm not complaining. 

• 1 month later...

I recently was looking through a book that I put together as part of a school assignment when I was very little and when it came to "what do I want to be when I grow up", i had put down "plumber". Now I think that at the time, this had something to do with my fascination with Super Mario Bros, but I gradually forgot about that as I got older and my father pressured me to "go to college" and do something that made him look good.

My father then left us, and my life lost a lot of direction. It is not good for a boy to be without his father or a father figure, but I had my grandpa at least and he taught me a lot of "shop skills" to the best of his ability.

I went through a lot of phases because I'll be perfectly honest with everyone here: I am a very indecisive person. For a while I did go to college and got an AA (general studies/education no major) and I thought I wanted to go on to get a Master's in Social Work... until I realized I'd be buried in student loan debt and that there really was no money in social work and not only that, but it's not exactly a field for men to be in most of the time (mostly women). I had wanted to be in college career paths because of the fact that you don't generally have to work that hard in them compared to something like retail, construction, or foodservice. The problem was that I simply don't possess the personality or drive to be successful in those fields because I'm a very no-nonsense guy... I don't like "playing the game" or jumping through the hoops necessary for office jobs or the college track, so eventually I decided not to go back to school anymore. I kind of regret that, but life isn't over yet and I could always go back and study something that I value if I really wanted to and didn't need to go for a career.

I tried my hand at a few different jobs, but never had a real career. I worked in restaurants, retail (and hated them both). I also detail cleaned cars, did lawn service, and tried a variety of different construction jobs that never really panned out for me due to the spotty economy in my area (work would dry up or the business would have a bad couple of months and I'd be out on my rear-end due to downsizing... most senior guys keep their jobs, new hires get bounced). I never really found anything I was particularly good at because I have a few personal issues that aren't exactly a fault of my own (medical things). I'm also not the biggest or strongest guy on the block, and a lot of these jobs require endurance and brute strength. Right now, I am doing window and sliding glass door installation on new construction with my best friend (yes he actually did start his own company this time) so I'm in the beginning processes of learning that trade and I feel like I'm making progress slowly but surely. Is this what I wanted to do with my life? Not exactly, I never even thought about it but the work is at least engaging, physical, and in a "manly" sort of field so I'm not going to complain. I'm just fortunate that I have a job while all of this COVID19 stuff is still going on... oh yeah and it pays really well once you begin working for yourself and know what you're doing, which is my eventual goal after working/studying under my buddy for a few years: get my glazing license so I can contract my own jobs and then start my own business installing windows and sliding glass doors for people, making their homes more beautiful in the process.

• Veteran Member
30 minutes ago, Hani B. said:

My career aspiration as a 3 year old was to become Spider-Man

It is needless to say I did not become Spider-Man

This took a while, but l can now remember when l was three --by knowing what l liked to do and why. My father farmed, yet l was not old enough to understand what 'farming' meant. Yet, l wanted to drive tractors and other machinery. l had a toy tractor l use to pedal around the yard.

Edited by hasanhh
grammar