Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

As a kid, what were your career aspirations?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A physicist, model(lol, yes very briefly) fashion designer, advertising business journalist, stay at home pampered wife. :P Ironically, the only two things I abolutely didn't want to be were doct

When I was six years old my baby brother was born. From that time on, I wanted to get married and become a mother. Wherever I went, if I saw a baby I asked to hold it. I was obsessed with babies. 

When my oldest son was little, maybe 4 or 5, I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. He looked at me like I was crazy, and replied "a man".

• Veteran Member

When l was a pre-schooler, l wanted to be President, but by grade school l realized what a messed-up job that is.

Then l got interested in construction, but that didn't pan-out because of the bad economy -construction was in the down trend in the 17-year business cycle and then the stagflation of the 70s and early 80s.

So l got work wherever l could find it.

• Forum Administrators

@Ruqaya101 - That sounds really cool, especially Ghostwriter. I hope you’re enjoying medical science.

@Ibn Al-Ja'abi - Why did your cousin talk you out of studying Zoology? Do you regret listening to him? 

@hasanhh - Would have made a funny president. I can imagine you trying to ban most women from the country! :grin:

Edited by Heavenly_Silk
Fixed typo.
  • Forum Administrators
32 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

did a performance where I lived and slept in a barrel for a few days around the city (I do not recommend. Very dangerous) and another one where I had a box full of bird feed over my head and just standing there, waiting for birds to come eat. 

:shock:

@King - Professional athlete in which sport?

Edited by Heavenly_Silk
  • Advanced Member

Since I was about 6 I wanted to be a pilot but as I grew up I realised that physics wasn't my thing, I was OK at maths but I couldn't do physics. And secondly I'd never be able to have a married life and I would have problems with praying and I wasn't sure that I'd be able to cope with the travelling...

So at about 15/16 this dream has died. And now I have no idea at all what I want to do, but I was thinking of something biology related as I really like that subject.... 

• Moderators

Until about 8 years old, palaeontologist, then I finished all the dinosaur books that my public library had, so I moved down the shelf and decided I wanted to be an archaeologist. When I found out that in real life they don't find treasures all the time, and they almost never have adventures, I decided I wanted to be a mad scientist and save humanity from itself.

Later, I studied civil engineering because people told me it was a good stable respectable profession. :(

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Why did your cousin talk you out of studying Zoology? Do you regret listening to him? 

He pointed out to me a friend of his who also studied it and didn't really do anything with it — which I feel will ironically be me with my degree in health sciences. To be honest I don't regret not doing it, it hasn't really been a major passion of mine in years. At this point photography of fauna is just a hobby that remains of an old interest. I do regret not having discovered near Eastern studies in high school, partially because it was something that was never really shown to us to be something you could study by the community, family, or even the school and partially because of my own regrettable act of putting this aside in unfortunate zealotry. I try to rectify it by mentioning to students, half jokingly and half seriously, that they can study philosophy, religious studies, philology, history, archaeology, codicology etc. All of that fun stuff.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

During our childhoods, we often have an idea or vision about what we’d like to be when older. So as the title says, as a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? 

I changed my mind many times (as we do) from wanting to be the pink Power Ranger :rolleyes: to a flight attendant at one time. The idea of travelling to different countries seemed quite appealing then. I ended up ‘taking off” in a completely different direction but that’s another story. 

What about you? :) 

lol, since childhood my parents would drill into my head the thought of becoming a doctor. recently for some wierd reason I had a desire to become a forensic investigator, but sadly theres limited jobs for it. so yeah I just got into  biomedical science and inshallah I'll see where that takes me

• Veteran Member
34 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

He pointed out to me a friend of his who also studied it and didn't really do anything with it 

It's a weird thing to be honest. Any Istikhara I did for anything other than Fine Arts was horrible. So one thing may be bad for him but good for you

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid
  • Veteran Member
5 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Wanted to be a graphic designer. Went to school for two years as an illustrator but realised that it was a soul sucking job, not for me. So I dropped out and pursued Fine Arts. I thought I would be a painter. Nah. I currently try any medium I can. I did a performance where I lived and slept in a barrel for a few days around the city (I do not recommend. Very dangerous) and another one where I had a box full of bird feed over my head and just standing there, waiting for birds to come eat. I’m graduating in December, then I’m looking to finish my Masters and teach at a University level. I’ve always been interested in teaching and being a professor.

How interesting. Wish I could see some of your work. Didn't know there were other artists on Shiachat. I'm doing freelance children's book illustration right now, I'm enjoying it a lot. 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

When I was 5 or 6 years old I wanted to become a taxi driver because I loved cars, but when My father asked me what I want to become, I told him taxi driver and then he got angry. 

• Forum Administrators
3 minutes ago, Diaz said:

When I was 5 or 6 years old I wanted to become a taxi driver because I loved cars, but when My father asked me what I want to become, I told him taxi driver and then he got angry. 

Well I hope you got into whichever career you wanted and are successful in it. :) 

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
10 minutes ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

Well I hope you got into whichever career you wanted and are successful in it. :) 

Thanks, I still don’t know what I want to become. 

• Forum Administrators
27 minutes ago, notme said:

When my oldest son was little, maybe 4 or 5, I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. He looked at me like I was crazy, and replied "a man".

That’s really sweet. :) 

It’s reminded me of a cousin’s son who used to say he wanted to be a daddy when he grew up. 

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, Stitcher said:

medical science. So I ended up being a doctor. I love what I do & I couldn't be any happier than I am now.

Oooh nice! 

Medical science is killing me right now LOL, so hard and so stressful but I’m so passionate about and I love it’s content. How’d you find it? 

And you’re a doctor NOW? Mashallah, you got there. How long since you graduated?