Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

can I have a savings account

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

I live in the us all the banks in the are pay interest on a savings account. I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I already have a free checking account with no fees or interest. But I want to separate my money a little. any other options

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, notme said:

You can receive interest from banks. You just can't pay it or charge it of people.

So no problem with an interest bearing savings account.

whats the difference between receiving interest from a bank and a person? I mean the bank is owned by people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Salam

According to my marja (Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Khamenei (رضي الله عنه).) -

"It is permissible to receive the interest from the banks of non-Islamic states, irrespective of whether the owners were among the People of the Book or polytheist, regardless of whether or not the depositor made it conditional that he be paid the interest."

As a precaution, firstly search for an Islamic bank, if not available then go for banks that have Islamic subdivision. If still not available then go for any bank.

Edited by Stitcher
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
25 minutes ago, Stitcher said:

Salam

According to my marja (Ayatullah Sayyid Ali Khamenei (رضي الله عنه).) -

"It is permissible to receive the interest from the banks of non-Islamic states, irrespective of whether the owners were among the People of the Book or polytheist, regardless of whether or not the depositor made it conditional that he be paid the interest."

As a precaution, firstly search for an Islamic bank, if not available then go for banks that have Islamic subdivision. If still not available then go for any bank.

It is not allowed to recieve interest from Muslims (so Islamic banks included) - so he is meant to look for non-Islamic banks.

That's whom he can recieve the interest from. Read your fatwa brother.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

It is not allowed to recieve interest from Muslims (so Islamic banks included)

Definitely. But if a bank charges interests from Muslim or anyone then that bank no longer remains an Islamic bank. Islamic banks are those that are based on shariah law and free from recieving interest from anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Stitcher said:

Definitely. But if a bank charges interests from Muslim or anyone then that bank no longer remains an Islamic bank. Islamic banks are those that are based on shariah law and free from recieving interest from anyone.

"Islamic bank" in and of itself is a new term. It never existed in Fiqh. This is the rule: transactions involving interest between Muslims are haram on a surface level.

But a transaction in which a Muslim charges a kafir interest, or recieves interest money from a kafir is halal. On the otherhand, it is haram for a Muslim to pay interest to a kafir.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Its a new term, true. But in todays world you can't do anything without banks. Hence the Islamic banking system introduced. Those banks are not involved in taking interest from borrower. Rather they participate in business directly with the borrower and share the risk of profit or loss both. If the bank can make profits in business then they share that with their account holders.

You can check this link.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/I/islamicbanking.asp

Edited by Stitcher
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...