Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

I have been using the Azan app and sincerely have been praying on the times it gives me. However, out of curiosity I went on google and saw some of the times did not match up with the timing on Azan. I’m stressed because I read that Azan was Shi’a timings and I’m fearful my prayers are now not valid. For example Fajr according to the app was 2:44 but on google it is 3:04.

Im fearful I must make up some Namaz but my  intention was always that I’m praying at the right time; sincerely and I had no doubt until now knowing of this.

Id like some guidance please.

However, if during the prayer he was certain that the time had set in and doubts after completing the prayer whether the prayer he performed was within the time or not, his prayer is valid. 

From Ayatullah Sistani

Does this mean I would not need to make up prayers? From now on I will use a better calendar or should I continue with Azan app?

Fajr prayer timings are a problem & praying before time is not allowed.

I do not fully understand your situation... but I have a few suggestions:

1. Check your local Shia mosque or centre's website for prayer timings.

2. Download the app: al Qibla

This app gives Shia timings and in the settings of this app it allows you to change your Calculation Method, and various other Shia, as well as Sunni calculations are listed as well.

Sidenote:

I would also recommend the apps 'Shia Hub' and 'Divine Pearls' for Midnight Calculation (which this app lacks).

Shia Hub is the best for this because it shows Marja (Ayatollah) specific midnight timings, though Divine Pearls also includes the option to change to Sunni calculation methods. (Useful for comparison purposes I guess). For ShiaHub you may need change your phone's navigation bar so you can see the prayer settings icon and access it (it may be hidden depending on your phone). You can also manually calculate midnight, here: https://www.wjporter.com/misc/MidPoint.htm

Compared to my local Shia mosque's prayer timings, all of the different Shia calculation methods used in the 3 apps are very accurate, except for Fajr time, which is at the moment ~25 minutes later at my mosque compared to what the apps say.

As a rule of thumb, follow your local mosque, as this should be more accurate. Local is always better.

I found a possible explanation for this discrepancy here:

https://www.al-Islam.org/articles/al-fajr-Sadiq-new-perspective-Sayyid-Muhammad-Rizvi

Basically, from what I understand, the "true dawn" of Islam is hard to define scientifically and is more visual, thus making the local timings better.

Though for everything else, the default (Leva Research Institute, Qom [Shia Ja'fari Ithna Asheri]) on these 3 apps works perfectly.

Fajr timing is confusing... for my location, these are tommorow's Fajr timings (approx), listed from earliest to latest. Thus, I do not think you can be blamed for your mistake at all:

[Sunni] Egyptian General Authority of Survey: 3:53 AM

[Sunni] Umm al-Qura, Makkah: 4:04 AM

[Sunni] University of Islamic Sciences, Karachi: 4:09 AM

[Sunni] Muslim World League (MWL): 4:09 AM

[Shia] Bayynat, Lebanon (Sayyed Fadlallah): 4:10 AM

[Shia] Institute of Geophysics, University of Tehran: 4:12 AM

[Shia] Ithna-Ashari, Leva Institute, Qom: 4:29 AM

[Sunni] Islamic Society of North America (ISNA): 4:39 AM

[Shia] Local (Edmonton, AB, Canada) Mosque (Masjid) & Centres (Hussainiya): 4:53 AM