Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ejaz

Why do we invite people to Islam, given the threat of hellfire?

Rate this topic

:salam:

The question may be answered simply by saying “to reach the perfection of the human being” or “to attain the purpose of existence”. 

But the atheist may say, “well if I will be damned to hellfire for rejecting your message after hearing it, then you may as well not invite me to your religion”. 

How do we respond to such a statement?

JazakAllah Khayr

Punishment in the afterlife was not "invented" by Islam. Even a Shirk religion like Greek mythology has punishment in the afterlife, as do Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Buddhism and many others. Original Judaism however did not have that. They only adopted the concept of Gehenna by influence from the Greeks. Even to day Rabbinic Judaism only has a limited hell fire like the Catholic purgatory. So you almost couldn't choose any religion that doesn't punish sins in the after life.

That being said I think you should distinguish between the religion and the message. You can follow the message of God without being a part of the religion called Islam and you can have heard the message without without understanding it. Even if you call your self a Muslim. So I think it comes down to whether you seek God or you seek the world, whether you do good or you do evil.
The Qur'an says that the message has all ready been send to all people in their own languages. So even if somebody has not ever heard of the Qur'an they may still have heard the message.

4 hours ago, Ejaz said:

:salam:

The question may be answered simply by saying “to reach the perfection of the human being” or “to attain the purpose of existence”. 

But the atheist may say, “well if I will be damned to hellfire for rejecting your message after hearing it, then you may as well not invite me to your religion”. 

How do we respond to such a statement?

JazakAllah Khayr

Your assuming they would not enter hell fire if we didn't invite them 

On 7/28/2019 at 3:39 AM, Quran313 said:

If someone tell you: "Hey if you park your car here, police gives you ticket". Do you think that he invites you to respect rules by giving you threat of a ticket? Or you appreciate that he told you that?

Some people just don't like parking attendants and will some times even be violent towards them.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:57 PM, Warilla said:

Your assuming they would not enter hell fire if we didn't invite them 

Yes but doesn’t the Qur’an say “we do not punish until we send a messenger”?