Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Leading Sunnis in prayer

Rate this topic

So I was leading Isha prayer in front of some relatives and a couple of their friends, (all Sunnis). I did my best to make things simple to follow without confusing them, I omitted qunut in the 2nd rakah, which is mustahab, as well as the "bi hawlillahi" whilst standing back up, also mustahab.

I still recited bismillah before both sets surahs.

When it came to the salaams, I started by looking ahead then turned to the right saying Asalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah (I omittee wa barakatahu), and said the same for the left.

I have been told it is mustahab to turn ones head, even both ways.

Is my prayer still in order as I did not say the full sentence of Salaam?

Walaikum as salam brother

I cannot comment on the completeness of the prayer. However for your information the bare minimum requirements of prayer (I.e the obligatory parts) are summarized here:

Link

As a side note kindly note that one or the requirements to lead congregational prayers according to our fiqh is 'adalah.

Our narrations describe the 'aadil person as one who refrains from greater sins and does not persist in lesser sins. 

Wallahu a'lam

Edited by Mahdavist

7 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

So I was leading Isha prayer in front of some relatives and a couple of their friends, (all Sunnis). I did my best to make things simple to follow without confusing them, I omitted qunut in the 2nd rakah, which is mustahab, as well as the "bi hawlillahi" whilst standing back up, also mustahab.

I still recited bismillah before both sets surahs.

When it came to the salaams, I started by looking ahead then turned to the right saying Asalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah (I omittee wa barakatahu), and said the same for the left.

Is my prayer still in order as I did not say the full sentence of Salaam?

Did they all knew you are a Shia Muslim?

For doing that, your prayer is invalidated. Do it again.

It’s not. It invalidates your prayer. Because, you move your head away from the q’ibla and the place of prostration.

Edited by Simon the Canaanite

7 minutes ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

It’s not. It invalidates your prayer. Because, you move your head away from the q’ibla and the place of prostration.

From where did you read it’s not allowed? I heard we can after you said “Allahu Akbar” 3 times, then you can say salamu Alaykum wa rahmatullah in your right and left. 

7 minutes ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

This is what I initially understood however a shaikh I know personally recently did a lecture in which he said it is mustahab.

If you were to turn your head and then say salaam, this is turning your head from the qiblah.

I started saying it looking ahead then turned. He told me the prayer ends as you are saying the salam, not once it is said.

7 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Only one and he's cool with it, but he insisted I lead even though I reminded him that I was, he didn't care.

I have no problem with praying behind or next to a Twelver.

4 minutes ago, Diaz said:

From where did you read it’s not allowed?

My mother read it in a book decades ago.

5 minutes ago, Diaz said:

I heard we can after you said “Allahu Akbar” 3 times, then you can say salamu Alaykum wa rahmatullah in your right and left. 

It’s detested for us, and for them too.

iIli5Vb.png

8 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

This is what I initially understood however a shaikh I know personally recently did a lecture in which he said it is mustahab.

If you were to turn your head and then say salaam, this is turning your head from the qiblah.

I started saying it looking ahead then turned. He told me the prayer ends as you are saying the salam, not once it is said.

Salam if you finished your Namaz in this way so your Namaz is valid but if you was turning your head to right & left before  start of saying Salam your Namaz would be void.

3 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam if you finished your Namaz in this way so your Namaz is valid but if you was turning your head to right & left before  start of saying Salam your Namaz would be void.

This^

4 minutes ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

My mother read it in a book decades ago.

Can you ask her which book she read?

14 hours ago, Diaz said:

Can you ask her which book she read?

Doesn’t remember.

In ʿāl-Māwsū’a ʿāl-Fiqhīyyāh, by the Ministry of Āwqāf (endowments) in Kuwait, volume 27, page 109.

99 - There’s no dispute between fūqah’ā on the kārahah (mākrūh) of iltifat in sālah, for the ḥādith of Aisha, she said: I asked the Prophet about moving the head in salah, he said: “It is something which Satan snatches from the slave’s prayer,” and the kārahah is bound (restricted/limited) to not having a need or an excuse, as for if there was a need: such as fearing for oneself, or money, it wouldn’t be detested.

gJNILMe.jpg

In Fātawa ʿāl-Lājnah Ad-Dā’īmah, volume 7, page 26-27, by ʿāl-Shāyḵḫ Ahmad bin Abdul Rāzzaq ʿāl-Dūwāīsh, print of Riyadh, ʿāl-Ḥījāz.

Prohibition/nāhī was mentioned for moving the head in prayers, and that it’s a snatch that Satan snatches from the slave’s prayer. In Ṣāḥīh ʿāl-Būḵḫāri, with his chain from Aisha, that she said: I asked the Prophet about moving the head in salah, he said: “It is something which Satan snatches from the slave’s prayer,” - so it was understood from it, that moving the head is mākrūh in salah, and decreases its reward/thāwab - but, redoing [it] is not wājib upon the one that moved his head in his sālah, because it was proven in other āḥādith [what] indicates to the jāwaz/permissiveness of moving the head, if there was a need to it, so it was understood [from that] that it doesn’t invalidate the prayer.

Z8my90I.jpg

Edited by Simon the Canaanite