Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest guest123

I don't want to label myself as Shia or Sunni

Rate this topic

Guest guest123

Salam aleikom. 

I don't like to label myself as Shia or Sunni. I'm born Shia and I still believe in Imamat and I pray the 'Shia' way. But to be honest I'm just lowkey, I follow the Qur'an and ahlalbait, but I'm not hardcore Shia. Also I disagree or don't understand some 'Shia' things like hitting yourself during Muharram or the concept of Mutah. I don't know what to think, do you guys think it's okay to not label yourself as Shia while others would label you as that? 

Guest frr
4 hours ago, Guest guest123 said:

Salam aleikom. 

I don't like to label myself as Shia or Sunni. I'm born Shia and I still believe in Imamat and I pray the 'Shia' way. But to be honest I'm just lowkey, I follow the Qur'an and ahlalbait, but I'm not hardcore Shia. Also I disagree or don't understand some 'Shia' things like hitting yourself during Muharram or the concept of Mutah. I don't know what to think, do you guys think it's okay to not label yourself as Shia while others would label you as that? 

I personally am proud to call myself Shia, but I don't think that that is the first thing you need to tell everyone, after all at the end of the day we're Muslim. But regarding hitting yourself during Muharram, that's a personal choice, everyone mourns differently, and as long as it isn't self destructive there is nothing wrong with it. First of all no where in Islam is it said that it's a mandatory thing to do, so no one forces you to do it. Second of all the concept of Mutah is something that the Prophet and the Imams said is allowed, so whether you agree with it or not, it is islamically allowed in the eyes of God. And also Mutah was allowed under the Prophet, it was Abu Bakr who prohibited it. You are allowed to label yourself as whatever you want, but if you feel like you don't want to bother calling yourself Shia, it might have to do with the fact that you're not that knowledgable when it comes to your faith, I recommend reading upon our religion and learning about the Ahlul Bayt, bc after that you'll most likely call yourself Shia.

4 hours ago, Guest guest123 said:

Salam aleikom. 

I agree with you fully :grin:

How about becoming Christian or Jewish and not label ourself as Christian or Jewish? How about disregarding whole concept of religion and just being a human being? It's just a label.

Do you think how absurd it is? Brother you need to do research on religion. When I was 17 years old, I had so many questions regarding religion. I researched and alhamdulillah everything in Shiite makes sense to me.

4 hours ago, Quran313 said:

How about becoming Christian or Jewish and not label ourself as Christian or Jewish? How about disregarding whole concept of religion and just being a human being? It's just a label.

Do you think how absurd it is? Brother you need to do research on religion. When I was 17 years old, I had so many questions regarding religion. I researched and alhamdulillah everything in Shiite makes sense to me.

The guest takes issue with concepts of sects, not of religion. They have not said 'I don't want to label myself as a Muslim or a non-Muslim', they have said 'I don't want to label myself as a Shi'a or a Sunni'.

So your comparison really isn't helpful, but it is actually quite condescending to suggest the guest hasn't researched their religion and that somehow young age is the problem here.

I wrote a response which would have helped but an Error 500 came up when I got 'submit reply' and I lost the whole message.

I'll just keep this second attempt quick and easy...

I don't label myself as a Sunni or Shi'a either, I was by default a Sunni. Being a Muslim is an underrated label which I think we should strive to be and be proud of when we are. 

If you don't like mutah, don't do it, just get married by the form of nikah. It is a universal sunnah, you don't need to agree with mutah, it's a practice that some people do and others don't. Leave them to do what they feel is right and you should be content in doing what you feel is right. Acts of mourning, again, unless they were the sunnah of the Prophet or mentioned in the Qur'an, you know what should be done.

You should strive to please Allah and to be happy, comfortable and at inner peace with your identity as a Muslim. It is better you are happy as just as Muslim than to be at constant conflict with Allah and with yourself as a Muslim with a label. Honestly, I speak from experience as someone who questioned my own identity for probably two years. I am now at peace and feel as good and as focused as when I first converted to Islam.

God willing this response reaches you and helps you this time!

12 hours ago, Guest guest123 said:

Salam aleikom. 

The religion  is Islam and all Muslim are known as by this name. Shia or Sunni represent a particular subset based on the thought and practice the Muslim adopts. Its not necessary to use a particular name.

You are follower of the Qur'an and Ahl alabayt in the line of sayings of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and true Muslim.

The things you have mentioned like Matam ie hitting own body or Mutaa etc are not part of basic belief for being Shia. I hope this information helps you for better understanding.

wasalam

Guest guest123
5 hours ago, Quran313 said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I never said ALL labels were a bad thing. Yes, we should label ourselves as a Muslim or atheist or whatever you want. That has nothing to do with sects. 

Ps: I'm a girl. 

13 hours ago, Guest guest123 said:

Salam aleikom. 

The concept of hitting oneself during Muharram is more of a cultural thing than a religious thing. My family is not so keen with it either, apart from tatbir. Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) didn’t tell people to practice it nor did the Holy Prophet (sawas) or any of the Imams(عليه السلام).

even if we label ourselves Muslim, Shia, or Shia of Ali, we are still followers of the Ahlul Bayt(عليه السلام) and the ma3someen, that’s what makes us real Muslims 

13 hours ago, Guest guest123 said:

Salam aleikom. 

Brother, about mutah we Shia’s are just saying it’s halal to do it. There is no need for you to practice it if you don’t want. 

17 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

So, tell me what is better for a widow who has no man to secure her. Prostitution where she gets money and child born out of it has no legal status, or a temporary marriage where she puts her demands for nikah, and the man she is having temporary marriage has to take her as his wife and the child born out of this is legitimate as inherit both father and mother

What happened to widows getting married permanently? The Prophet married a few widows and did not see the need for mutah. 

The guest doesn't agree with mutah as a personal choice and the Prophet never married a widow temporarily out of personal choice, so what's the big deal?

Shia is related to Imam Ali (عليه السلام)

Sunni is related to Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)

Salafi is related to the first 3 generations

Muslim is linked directly to Allah and given to us as a name by Allah Himself

Edited by Faruk

13 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

What happened to widows getting married permanently? The Prophet married a few widows and did not see the need for mutah. 

The guest doesn't agree with mutah as a personal choice and the Prophet never married a widow temporarily out of personal choice, so what's the big deal?

Prophet did not do mutah, because he is allowed to have as many wives as he wants. And, there are many things which Prophet (PBUHHP) allowed to Ummah but it was not binding upon him such as Sadqah which Ummah can take but Prophet and his family cannot.

Qur'an mentions it and does not annuls it by any verse, so law is law brother. I, personally, do not like that mutah should be the only choice for widow women but every man is not a bill gates and does not have a heart of "Hatim Tai", that he may take care of all women with his wealth and nor is he allowed to have countless wives like kings because it will then be injustice to other men for if he marries all widows, where the rest of men go to ? 

There are many reasons for which Allah (عزّ وجلّ) makes such laws. 

Edited by Flying_Eagle

Sometimes I feel the same I haven't been able to attend mosque since reverting due to there not being one in the area so I feel isolated from both communities either way you're still a Muslim. That's what's important.