Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest WonderingSad

Animal euthanasia (assisted suicide)

Rate this topic

Guest WonderingSad

assalalamun alaikum 

Can we euthanise animals if they’re in pain? I have a rabbit who I didn’t neuter now he has a tumor. Should I do (expensive) surgery or should I euthanise? Both is halal right?

Thank you.

It's not suicide. The animal doesn't get to choose. Euthanasia is defined as "mercy killing", not as assisted suicide.

I haven't seen any rulings, but it seems logical that either would be halal, as long as the animal is not tortured. Which is right depends on individual circumstances.

2 hours ago, Guest WonderingSad said:

assalalamun alaikum 

Can we euthanise animals if they’re in pain? I have a rabbit who I didn’t neuter now he has a tumor. Should I do (expensive) surgery or should I euthanise? Both is halal right?

Thank you.

My cat had to be euthanized a few years ago, they didn't know what was wrong with him but be was suffering and in pain so he had to go, they couldn't save him at all. They suggested brain scans which would've been thousands. I wish we had pet insurance for him then they may been able to diagnose him. I don't mean to be insensitive but you should always neuter/spay and have pet insurance. 

I remember that they asked some sheikh and he said it's OK... 

At least according to the Sunni schools it is encouraged to euthanise if it is likely to cost a lot of money and the animal is in pain, but you must have it killed in a way which will cause no suffering to the rabbit, making the whole process as fair to the animal as possible.

Edited by aaaz1618