Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
SoRoUsH

Allah has put a seal upon their hearts

Rate this topic

Salam, 

Allah has used two different terms to indicate sealing the heart,  

كَذَٰلِكَ يَطْبَعُ اللَّهُ عَلَىٰ قُلُوبِ الْكَافِرِينَ

and 

خَتَمَ اللَّهُ عَلَىٰ قُلُوبِهِمْ وَعَلَىٰ سَمْعِهِمْ وَعَلَىٰ أَبْصَارِهِمْ غِشَاوَةٌ

What is the difference between these two words? By placing them in other contexts what can we learn about the differences in their meaning?

Thank you!

I found the following statement in شرح أصول الكافي‏ by صدر الدين شيرازى‏.

و الطبع بالسكون الختم و بالتحريك الدنس و اصله من الوسخ و الدنس يغشيان السيف يقال طبع السيف يطبع طبعا

Does this statement add anything to the context?

I found the following in شرح الكافي‏ by مازندرانى‏

و طبع هو بالسكون‏ الختم فى الطين و نحوه و ليس هنا ختم‏ فى الحقيقة و انما المقصود بيان أنه حدثت فى قلوبهم هيئة تمنعها من دخول الحق فيها و قبولها اياه كالختم المانع من دخول الشي‏ء فى المختوم و بالتحريك الوسخ الشديد من الصداء و الدنس و الشين و العيب و دناءة الخلق و قلة الحياء ثم استعمل فيما يشبه ذلك من الآثام و الاوزار و غيرها من- القبائح، و فى النهاية «أعوذ باللّه من طمع يهدى الى طبع‏» أى الى شين و عيب‏ (فلا يزال يسمع صوت ابليس على ألسنتهم بباطل كثير) جعل صوتهم صوت ابليس كانه نشا من نفثه فى صدورهم و الهامة فى قلوبهم حتى صار صوتهم بغير الحق و افتاؤهم بالباطل صوته لكماله فى السببية و فى على دون من تنبيه على استيلائه عليهم و كونهم مقهورين لحكمه ثم أشار الى ذمهم بوجه آخر غير خروجهم من الدين و تخريبه بآرائهم الفاسدة و هو ايذاؤهم اهل العلم و تشديد هم عليهم‏

Does this text help to make a distinction between الطبع and الختم?

If so, can you please make it clear for me? 

Thank you!

The more I read, the more I get the idea that there is a distinction, though subtle. 

The difference between these two terms indicates a process, such as rusting versus rusted. 

الختم implies rusting, the step before being rusted. الطبع implies the end of the process, rusted.

Sealing (الختم) versus sealed (الطبع).

Is my reading accurate? 

We can't replace الطابع with الخاتم‏. Right? For example, when we discuss The Prophet being the final Prophet, we can't say طابع النبيين. Right? Why not?‎

Edited by SoRoUsH

48 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

The more I read, the more I get the idea that there is a distinction, though subtle. 

The difference between these two terms indicates a process, such as rusting versus rusted. 

الختم implies rusting, the step before being rusted. الطبع implies the end of the process, rusted.

Sealing/stamping (الختم) versus sealed/stamped (الطبع).

Is my reading accurate? 

We can't replace الطابع with الخاتم‏. Right? For example, when we discuss The Prophet being the final Prophet, we can't say طابع النبيين. Right? Why not?‎

A different reading could be that الختم implies reaching the end of something. In the context of the heart, the end of heart's proper and true functioning. 

And الطبع would imply a closed heart, in which nothing, including nur or ilm, can enter. 

In other words, الختم can refer to the function of the heart, whereas, الطبع can refer to the state of the heart.

Allah changes the nature/state of the heart of the disbelievers, and a changed nature, can't function properly. A non-functioning heart is a sealed heart, a heart whose nature/state has changed. 

I think this reading may be more accurate. 

What do you think?

Edited by SoRoUsH