Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
M. O.

Music - According to Seyed Sistani

Rate this topic

Asalamualaykum,

I have always (or at least in the past 5 years), refrained from music like rap, sensual songs, and just things with too much beat in them. For the past month or so, I have put haram music aside completely but ever since, I've been in this kind of paranoia and anxiety of what is haram and what is halal. I've read my marja's ruling on music over and over again this past month but I just don't seem to get it completely. My marja' is Seyed Sistani and if someone (familiar with fatwas and/or following Ayatullah Sistani) would please help clarify some questions for me I will really appreciate it and may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you inshaAllah.

The following 2 links are what I am going based off of. One is all the basic rulings on music and the other contains more info from the Q&A. (please take note of what is noted as "compulsory/ obligatory precaution and what is noted as haram/forbidden)

https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/46/2071/

https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/46/2072/

Meanwhile I've pretty much stopped listening to all music due to a post on shiachat with a whole long list of supposed hadiths from Imam Sadiq AS about music and they were so so strict and harsh that I've just been terrified of all types of music and I just feel very confused inside. It just doesn't make much sense that music is as great as a sin as murder, or any other of the greatest sins. I'd like to know whether these hadiths are even authentic? Is it just an exaggeration caused by translation errors? The hadiths are also found here:

https://www.al-Islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-Sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fifteenth-greater-sin-music

I'm asking because some of these hadiths are not compatible with what Seyed Sistani is saying. The hadiths seem to say music, in totality, and anything close to it is completely haram and punishable,but Sistani seems to distinguish between haram and permissible music. and even says that haram music " does not mean that the music or the song’s tune amuses the heart or changes the mental state because there is nothing wrong in it. " I don't think I should doubt that my marja' has already read an is knowledgable of the hadiths of the Imams (pbu them).

However, I'm still struggling with trying to understand what he means when saying  " the music or the song that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings". Does that mean dance party music? could someone please give examples of halal music or answer my questions below based on Seyed Sistani's rulings? To further clarify what the said phrase means: does "entertainment and amusement gatherings" mean two criteria? Number 1: entertainment and Number 2: amusement gatherings? or is "entertainment and amusement" used as a single description of that gathering? If someone knew the Farsi version maybe that would help because translations sometimes make it harder to understand.

My more specfic questions are:

1. Is ney (reed flute) music halal? The ney I was told was halal before but I don't know now because of this:  "The Messenger of Allãh ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) said, “And the person with the [sin of] singing (al-ghinã’) will be raised [on the day of resurrection] blind, deaf and dumb. The person with [the sin of] adultery, of wood-wind, and of drum will also be raised in the same way.” Is ney a woodwind instrument? It is rarely used in any type of " entertainment and amusement gatherings" but rather gatherings of religious poets and such. The ney has such a beautiful and simple sound that is just something I always listened to that made me remember and become presently conscious Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and the purpose of our existence on Earth. Either way, In short, I just find it hard to think that it is haram. Is it? I feel like based of Sistani's description it is allowed but those hadiths supposedly from Imam Sadiq AS is what throws me off.

2. Is traditional (sonnati) persian music halal? (For example Shahram nazeri or shajarian?) Based on Seyed Sistani's description of what is and isn't ghina. Can you give me examples of other singing which would not be ghina?

3. I am a writer and I write fantasy and fiction. I have always enjoyed listening to what is called "epic music" while I write or even just for workout. Epic music is not commonly listened to by a large audience because it's basically the dramatic music used in movie backgrounds. Is that music considered as music used in " entertainment and amusement gatherings"?

4. Finally, would classical music be allowed?

I know this post is quite lengthy but I believe it could help clarify things for many people inshaAllah.

If I do not receive logical and descent answers here I will ask on Ayatullah Sistani's website and post the answer here inshaAllah in case it might be helpful for anyone else.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us towards the right path and make it easy for us to obey and satisfy Him. Ameen.

Guest Valor

You don't need Hadith to tell you music is haram, it's in the Qur'an.

12 hours ago, M. O. said:

Asalamualaykum,

I have always (or at least in the past 5 years), refrained from music like rap, sensual songs, and just things with too much beat in them. For the past month or so, I have put haram music aside completely but ever since, I've been in this kind of paranoia and anxiety of what is haram and what is halal. I've read my marja's ruling on music over and over again this past month but I just don't seem to get it completely. My marja' is Seyed Sistani and if someone (familiar with fatwas and/or following Ayatullah Sistani) would please help clarify some questions for me I will really appreciate it and may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you inshaAllah.

The following 2 links are what I am going based off of. One is all the basic rulings on music and the other contains more info from the Q&A. (please take note of what is noted as "compulsory/ obligatory precaution and what is noted as haram/forbidden)

https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/46/2071/

https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/46/2072/

Meanwhile I've pretty much stopped listening to all music due to a post on shiachat with a whole long list of supposed hadiths from Imam Sadiq AS about music and they were so so strict and harsh that I've just been terrified of all types of music and I just feel very confused inside. It just doesn't make much sense that music is as great as a sin as murder, or any other of the greatest sins. I'd like to know whether these hadiths are even authentic? Is it just an exaggeration caused by translation errors? The hadiths are also found here:

https://www.al-Islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-Sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fifteenth-greater-sin-music

I'm asking because some of these hadiths are not compatible with what Seyed Sistani is saying. The hadiths seem to say music, in totality, and anything close to it is completely haram and punishable,but Sistani seems to distinguish between haram and permissible music. and even says that haram music " does not mean that the music or the song’s tune amuses the heart or changes the mental state because there is nothing wrong in it. " I don't think I should doubt that my marja' has already read an is knowledgable of the hadiths of the Imams (pbu them).

However, I'm still struggling with trying to understand what he means when saying  " the music or the song that is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings". Does that mean dance party music? could someone please give examples of halal music or answer my questions below based on Seyed Sistani's rulings? To further clarify what the said phrase means: does "entertainment and amusement gatherings" mean two criteria? Number 1: entertainment and Number 2: amusement gatherings? or is "entertainment and amusement" used as a single description of that gathering? If someone knew the Farsi version maybe that would help because translations sometimes make it harder to understand.

My more specfic questions are:

1. Is ney (reed flute) music halal? The ney I was told was halal before but I don't know now because of this:  "The Messenger of Allãh ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) said, “And the person with the [sin of] singing (al-ghinã’) will be raised [on the day of resurrection] blind, deaf and dumb. The person with [the sin of] adultery, of wood-wind, and of drum will also be raised in the same way.” Is ney a woodwind instrument? It is rarely used in any type of " entertainment and amusement gatherings" but rather gatherings of religious poets and such. The ney has such a beautiful and simple sound that is just something I always listened to that made me remember and become presently conscious Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and the purpose of our existence on Earth. Either way, In short, I just find it hard to think that it is haram. Is it? I feel like based of Sistani's description it is allowed but those hadiths supposedly from Imam Sadiq AS is what throws me off.

2. Is traditional (sonnati) persian music halal? (For example Shahram nazeri or shajarian?) Based on Seyed Sistani's description of what is and isn't ghina. Can you give me examples of other singing which would not be ghina?

3. I am a writer and I write fantasy and fiction. I have always enjoyed listening to what is called "epic music" while I write or even just for workout. Epic music is not commonly listened to by a large audience because it's basically the dramatic music used in movie backgrounds. Is that music considered as music used in " entertainment and amusement gatherings"?

4. Finally, would classical music be allowed?

I know this post is quite lengthy but I believe it could help clarify things for many people inshaAllah.

If I do not receive logical and descent answers here I will ask on Ayatullah Sistani's website and post the answer here inshaAllah in case it might be helpful for anyone else.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide us towards the right path and make it easy for us to obey and satisfy Him. Ameen.

salam

I have read his fatwas ages ago, and I was also quite confused. Then that must mean that music used for gatherings such as weddings is not permissible. 

But then I just thought about that nasheed they sang when Prophet Muhammad (sawas) returned to Mecca or Madina I think. Didn't the Muslims use some kind of instrument like the drum or the tangerine? 

Although some scholars have differences about halal and haram music, some of them probably allowed it back then because if you compare the music to this generation and how it used to be before, the music wasn't as filthy, so I'm assuming that Sayid Sistani's definition of halal music is the type that doesn't have alot of beats or filth, but then again Allahu  3alam.

11 hours ago, Guest Valor said:

You don't need Hadith to tell you music is haram, it's in the Qur'an.

Where exactly in the Qur'an does it say that all music is haram?

1 hour ago, Celtic Twilight said:

Where exactly in the Qur'an does it say that all music is haram?

In the bits added in brackets and in the little writing underneath the verses... Obviously... :rolleyes:

I really like the following. After many years of thinking about it, I recorded it on my iPhone. But I guess more professional (clearer, better, longer) recordings should be available.

I think it meets the criteria for halal music:

https://vocaroo.com/I/s1bJLfgxBeCF

Edited by Haji 2003

:salam:

While at it, how do we consider what is Ghina and what is not when it comes to Nasheeds with vocals only? Sayyed Sistani says that even if a Nasheed is sung (without instruments) in a 'Ghina' form then it would be haram to listen to:

Question: Just as many questions are asked about halãl and harãm music, many questions are asked about halãl and harãm songs. Is it correct to say that harãm songs are those that arouse sexual, lustful urges and promote unstable and degrading behaviour? Is it correct to say that songs that do not arouse lustful desires, but elevate the souls and thoughts to lofty levels like religious songs of praise dedicated to the Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).) and the Imams ((عليه السلام).), or the songs that lift the spirits and morale [of the fighters] and the like are halãl songs?

Answer: All songs (al-ghinã’) are harãm. Based on the definition that we accept, al-ghinã’ is the entertaining expression by way of tunes that are common to those who provide entertainment and amusement. In this prohibition, we should include the recitation of the Holy Qur’ãn, supplications (du‘ãs), and songs of praise of Ahlul Bayt ((عليه السلام).) uttered to the accompaniment of those tunes [that are used by the entertainers]. The prohibition of reciting other non-entertaining expressions —like songs intended to lift the morale [of fighters]— is based on compulsory precaution. However, the tune that cannot be described as such is not harãm by itself.

Anyone who knows if for example Maher Zain's nasheeds without instruments would be permissible to listen to such as this one? Or would this be considered as ghina?

Edited by The Straight Path