Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

I am reasonably familiar with Shia majalis orators drawing the parallels between Imam Ali ((عليه السلام).) and Haroun ((عليه السلام).).

However, how deep are the links supposed to go? Apologies if I should have been paying more attention in majalis.

For example, Haroun ((عليه السلام).) left with the Israelites sees the majority of them going back to their old ways, but a (smaller?) group remains with him. Are there parallels between the two Muslim sects here? 

Then there's Haroun's ((عليه السلام).) protagonist Samiri who brings back calf worship, do we claim a Muslim equivalent for him? I could think of a couple of names for starters.

Edited by Haji 2003

2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

I am reasonably familiar with Shia majalis orators drawing the parallels between Imam Ali ((عليه السلام).) and Haroun ((عليه السلام).).

However, how deep are the links supposed to go? Apologies if I should have been paying more attention in majalis.

For example, Haroun ((عليه السلام).) left with the Israelites sees the majority of them going back to their old ways, but a (smaller?) group remains with him. Are there parallels between the two Muslim sects here? 

Then there's Haroun's ((عليه السلام).) protagonist Samiri who brings back calf worship, do we claim a Muslim equivalent for him? I could think of a couple of names for starters.

There is similarity. For example we read from our narration the following:

أبي جعفر عليه السلام قال: إن الناس لما صنعوا ما صنعوا إذ بايعوا أبا بكر لم يمنع أمير المؤمنين عليه السلام من أن يدعو إلى نفسه إلا نظرا للناس و تخوفا عليهم أن يرتدوا عن الاسلام فيعبدوا الاوثان ولا يشهدوا أن لا إله إلا الله وأن محمدا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله وكان الاحب إليه أن يقرهم على ما صنعوا من أن يرتدوا عن جميع الاسلام وإنما هلك الذين ركبوا ما ركبوا فأما من لم يصنع ذلك ودخل فيما دخل فيه الناس على غير علم ولا عداوة لامير المؤمنين عليه السلام فإن ذلك لا يكفره ولا يخرجه من الاسلام ولذلك كتم علي عليه السلام أمره وبايع مكرها حيث لم يجد أعوانا

(iii) [al-Kafi] Abu Ja'farعليه السلام  said: When the people did what they did - when they gave allegiance to Abu Bakr, nothing prevented the commander of the faithful عليه السلام from calling to himself (I.e. gather support to rival them publicly) except his fear for the people - that they would apostate from Islam, and begin worshiping the idols anew, and reject witnessing that there is no God but Allah, and that Muhammad is his messenger; and it was more beloved to him to acquiesce to what they had done rather than them apostatizing from the whole of Islam. Verily, those who clambered upon this (opposing Ali for rulership) have been destroyed. As for the one who did not contribute anything to that (opposing Ali for rulership) and entered into what the people entered into without knowledge (about his status) nor enmity towards him then this act of his does not make him a disbeliever, and it does not remove him from Islam, and this is why Ali kept quiet about his matter (status), and gave allegiance while displeased, when he could not find any supporters.

-- 

In the Qur'an about similiar event happened:

[20:90] And certainly Haroun had said to them before: O my people! You are only tried by it, and surely your Lord is the Beneficent Allah, therefore follow me and obey my order.
[20:91] They said: We will by no means cease to keep to its worship until Musa returns to us.
[20:92] (Musa) said: O Haroun! What prevented you, when you saw them going astray,
[20:93] So that you did not follow me? Did you then disobey my order?
[20:94] He (Haroun) said: O son of my mother! Seize me not by my beard nor by my head; surely I was afraid lest you should say: You have caused a division among the children of Israel and not waited for my word.

Both of them had same position and same fear that if they would act, the people will be divide and go out of Islam.

6 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

There is similarity. For example we read from our narration the following:

Thanks. The parallels are fascinating.

I find the repeated references to Samiri interesting. I'll need to check up whether there are any other references to a Prophet's antagonist being named/shamed/remembered in such a manner and the significance of this.

Pharaoh gets away lightly, being named by title only.

2 hours ago, Follower of Ahlul Bayt said:

This one is honestly unbelievable

Thanks, very useful thread. As well as addressing questions I have on this thread, it also helps address questions I have raised in another thread about the significance of a Jewish audience for the Prophet's ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) revelation.