Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Kaya

Emigrating to Iran

Would you recommend a Shia brother to immigrate to a Muslim country (let's say Iran) from a western country? Would it be hard if you do not speak the language? Does anyone have experience with something like this, and what are some of the challenges you faced? Of course such a migration would be for the sake of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and not material gains. Wasallam

Edited by Haji 2003
You immigrate into a country and to emigrate to a country

Good luck, it is for sure possible. Would be good if you made sure you have some sort of high demand degree before you move. Perhaps within IT.

Try renting a place for a couple of months and see how its like or maybe even enroll in the shorter hawza programs that last 6 months or 1 year while you see what its like there.

Salaam Alaykum Brother,

I grew up in my lovely country, Iran. Good things are better access to religious sources, building deeper understanding of Wilayat, etc. You can work as an English Teacher in an institute, but I'm not sure how salary goes. You have problems first days for not being Farsi speaker, but it's not a big deal. My recommendation is travel to Iran for 1 or 2 months. Live there and see how you like it in terms of Job, religion, cost (pay attention that you get paid in Rial) etc. Also pay attention to visa status etc.

Edited by Quran313

5 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam , it won't be so hard but will annoy you in first days 

some matters like as behavior of some people that you will see that all Iranians are not so religious as you think but if you want to experience more religious atmosphere it's better at first you travel to Qom or Mashhad 

you can find some stories in this site

https://rahyafteha.ir/en/10139/my-journey-started-when-I-started-to-read-the-Qur'an/

I recognised the significance of a socio-political role and not merely a religious one.

When I lived in Iran for nearly 2 years under the leadership of Syed Ali Khamenie my appreciation of wilayat-I faqih grew even deeper.

In the absence of our present Imam, I feel that it is my responsibility as a Muslim to stand loyal to the present wali faqih. One must think about the big picture, and put aside their own personal desires and differences of opinions or criticisms of the current system for the sake of unity, solidarity, and empowerment of the Shia nation, keeping in mind that we are waiting and preparing for Al-Hujjah’s (a.t.f.s) reappearance.

https://rahyafteha.ir/en/4738/embraced-Ahlul Bayt-spiritual-guides-spiritual-wings-began-fly/

https://rahyafteha.ir/en

Yes, if I spoke Farsi and could find a stable job I would go to Iran instantly. Especially for the reasons you mentioned with Wilayat-l Faqih.

Are there any Iranian immigration programs that specifically aim towards Shia Muslims who wish to live in Iran? Can they obtain citizenship after a certain period of time?

4 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

But what kind of jobs could we have when we don't speak Farsi or when don't even have iranian nationality? 

Yes this is what I am worried about too. I might have to dedicate my next 5-6 years to learning Farsi and then going to Iran maybe...

Btw, I am also still not married. Would you brothers advise me to start a family now or after moving to Iran? I follow Sistani for taqlid and he says that a person should start a family as soon as he can. But I feel like in Iran I could start a more religious-oriented family, and perhaps get married to a more religious lady. What do you think? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Good luck, it is for sure possible. Would be good if you made sure you have some sort of high demand degree before you move. Perhaps within IT.

Try renting a place for a couple of months and see how its like or maybe even enroll in the shorter hawza programs that last 6 months or 1 year while you see what its like there.

Thanks, I will graduate with a computer science degree in 1 year. Maybe it might help me find a job in the capital Tehran.

As for hawza, I do not have too good of a financial situation right now, and no one would support me while taking the hawza program. I think it would be best for me to work and aim to start a family.

4 hours ago, Quran313 said:

Salaam Alaykum Brother,

I grew up in my lovely country, Iran. Good things are better access to religious sources, building deeper understanding of Wilayat, etc. You can work as an English Teacher in an institute, but I'm not sure how salary goes. You have problems first days for not being Farsi speaker, but it's not a big deal. My recommendation is travel to Iran for 1 or 2 months. Live there and see how you like it in terms of Job, religion, cost (pay attention that you get paid in Rial) etc. Also pay attention to visa status etc.

Thank you, an English Teacher job would be great, but again I would probably have to know Farsi to be able to teach Farsi-speaking students. And I agree, I will probably go there for travel first 1-2 months and then decide how I can move there permanently. 

Can I ask you why you moved to the US from Iran? I currently live in Canada an would like nothing more than living in a Muslim country. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Canada, but I feel like being in a Muslim country would be better for me 

12 minutes ago, starlight said:

Are you iranian? Do you have family in Iran? If the objective is to move to a Muslim country then I would suggest you move to your native country. 

I am Turkish but the Jafari Shia population in Turkey is very low. That is a reason why I would prefer Iran. 

But after Iran, my second option is Turkey. 

30 minutes ago, Kaya said:

I am Turkish but the Jafari Shia population in Turkey is very low. That is a reason why I would prefer Iran. 

But after Iran, my second option is Turkey. 

Do you know Turkish? If yes, then you can immigrate to Tabriz or other Azari towns and live there.

Do you know cooking? If yes, then you can work in a Turkish restaurant. Iranians love Turkish foods. 

9 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

Do you know Turkish? If yes, then you can immigrate to Tabriz or other Azari towns and live there.

Do you know cooking? If yes, then you can work in a Turkish restaurant. Iranians love Turkish foods. 

Yes I know Turkish, I will definitely consider the Azari towns in Iran!

5 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

Shia Muslims in Turkey are a minority perhaps because many of them immigrated to Iran some centuries ago.

Interesting... I never knew that there were any Turkish people in Iran or that they immigrated there couple centuries ago. My ancestors apparently immigrated to Turkey from the Khorasan area, so I guess people immigrated both ways. 

30 minutes ago, Diaz said:

So the reason you want to go to Iran is because you want to practice your religion freely?

No it's because I want to practice my religion fully, in a country which is religious. Thank God, the country I currently live in (Canada), has many laws to protect religious freedom.

3 hours ago, Kaya said:

Thanks, I will graduate with a computer science degree in 1 year. Maybe it might help me find a job in the capital Tehran.

As for hawza, I do not have too good of a financial situation right now, and no one would support me while taking the hawza program. I think it would be best for me to work and aim to start a family.

If I were you I would get an IT job that does not require me to be physically present at work, then I would move to Iran and live wherever because I could work as long as I have my computer and a internet connection. This way you would get salary in your foreign currency that you could use for your iranian expenses, you would be in a nice situation financially.

By the way the hawzas give out financial aid also sometimes the educational institutions of the country you live in today will also recognize the hawza studies as formal education and as such offer your financial aid.

43 minutes ago, Diaz said:

So the reason you want to go to Iran is because you want to practice your religion freely?

Iran is a Muslim country and Canada is a secular country. It is easier to remain faithful to your religion if you live in a country like Iran.

4 hours ago, Kaya said:

Thank you, an English Teacher job would be great, but again I would probably have to know Farsi to be able to teach Farsi-speaking students. And I agree, I will probably go there for travel first 1-2 months and then decide how I can move there permanently. 

Can I ask you why you moved to the US from Iran? I currently live in Canada an would like nothing more than living in a Muslim country. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Canada, but I feel like being in a Muslim country would be better for me 

I got scholarship to study in US, so it was a good opportunity to move to US. After coming here, I liked the technology and engineering environment, so I decided to be here as of now. I really like my country and I still thinking of going back there. There's nothing wrong with moving to a Muslim country. Actually I recommend it to Shia Muslims born and raised in west to go to Iran and live there for few months. It's a good experience and would be beneficial not only in terms of religiosity, but also social maturity and life experience. BTW @Ashvazdanghe is Iranian too

1 hour ago, Kaya said:

No it's because I want to practice my religion fully, in a country which is religious. Thank God, the country I currently live in (Canada), has many laws to protect religious freedom.

But brother living in Canada is better. There are a lot of Shia in Canada right?  

1 hour ago, Kaya said:

Iran is a Muslim country and Canada is a secular country. It is easier to remain faithful to your religion if you live in a country like Iran.

But why do you think it’s easier?

1 hour ago, Soldiers and Saffron said:

If I were you I would get an IT job that does not require me to be physically present at work, then I would move to Iran and live wherever because I could work as long as I have my computer and a internet connection. This way you would get salary in your foreign currency that you could use for your iranian expenses, you would be in a nice situation financially.

By the way the hawzas give out financial aid also sometimes the educational institutions of the country you live in today will also recognize the hawza studies as formal education and as such offer your financial aid.

Thank you for the advice! I think you are right about the fact that most IT/Programming jobs can be done remotely. Usually you have to have several years work experience before, but if you have the experience then they trust you to work remotely. If I were to secure a job like this, then it would be really easy to move to Iran. I will definitely be thinking about this.

As for the hawzah, I really do want to learn more about Islam than just the basics, but I don't know if my current situation in life would make it easy for me to spend a considerable amount of time in hawzah studies... Maybe sometime in the future hopefully

1 hour ago, Quran313 said:

I got scholarship to study in US, so it was a good opportunity to move to US. After coming here, I liked the technology and engineering environment, so I decided to be here as of now. I really like my country and I still thinking of going back there. There's nothing wrong with moving to a Muslim country. Actually I recommend it to Shia Muslims born and raised in west to go to Iran and live there for few months. It's a good experience and would be beneficial not only in terms of religiosity, but also social maturity and life experience. BTW @Ashvazdanghe is Iranian too

Yes I completely understand that. That is also a concern that I have, since Canada is also pretty advanced in terms of technology & engineering environment, so that might be a disadvantage of moving. Especially if you are someone who is pursuing a job in the technology field, since pretty much all the major companies are located in the west. 

From my understanding you can’t live there without Iranian heritage. Only if you married an Iranian woman but you’ll just get residence not be a citizen. If your a woman and you marry an Iranian guy it’s different.

Edited by TryHard

11 hours ago, starlight said:

@Ashvazdanghe How important is it for one to known Farsi to live in Iran? Like you can get by with very basic Urdu in major cities of Pakistan.

Salam , knowing Farsi will be lifesaving but isn't compulsory for living in Iran & you can use English or other  language for making contact with young generations but people that can speak other languages other than English are very rare

13 hours ago, Kaya said:

in advanced levels teachers talk in English with students & Institutes are seeking for Native speakers like you for their classes that you can learn Farsi from students in process ,for example you can contact with this site that also has Farsi classes for students that come from Nigeria for studying medicine in Iran

http://gsia.tums.ac.ir/intlcollege

13 hours ago, Kaya said:

you also can find jobs based on computer science after receiving you degree but it needs that you start sending papers & making preparation before coming to Iran because official Bureaucracy is very slow & very annoying 

13 hours ago, Kaya said:

Yes this is what I am worried about too. I might have to dedicate my next 5-6 years to learning Farsi and then going to Iran maybe...

Btw, I am also still not married. Would you brothers advise me to start a family now or after moving to Iran? I follow Sistani for taqlid and he says that a person should start a family as soon as he can. But I feel like in Iran I could start a more religious-oriented family, and perhaps get married to a more religious lady. What do you think? Thanks.

don't worry ,you must do it with patience that inshaAllah you will find  a good spouse 

1 hour ago, TryHard said:

From my understanding you can’t live there without Iranian heritage. Only if you married an Iranian woman but you’ll just get residence not be a citizen. If your a woman and you marry an Iranian guy it’s different.

recently Iran parliament law passes a law that allows that Iranian women that are marrying with foreigners can ask residency for their children but it needs confirmation of Guardian council  

9 hours ago, Kaya said:

you can  be faithful in any situation but Iran has more religious Atmosphere  

10 hours ago, Kaya said:

Salam

960_7871.jpg

According to Article 979 of the Civil Code of the Islamic Republic of Iran:
"Individuals can obtain Iranian nationality if they:

1 - Have reached the full age of 18.
2- Have resided five years, whether continuously 0r intermittently, in Iran.
3 - Are not Draft Dodgers (Deserters of military service)
4 - Have not in any country been convicted of non - political major misdemeanours 0r felonies.

In the case of Clause 2 of this Article, the period of residence in foreign countries in the
Service of the Iranian Government will be considered as residence in Iran. "

Required documents

An application form for obtaining an Iranian Nationality filled out and undersigned by the applicant.
Original copy and photocopy of the applicants most recent academic diploma(s)/documents.
Original copy and 2 photocopies of Identification and Citizenship papers and documents of applicant and his/her spouses.
3 6x4cm ID photos of the applicant (along with negatives) taken within the past six month, (Including a full face, front view, white background, open eyes, without a hat, glasses 0r neck scarves, with the exception of headscarves(hijab for women)). [The individuals personal details must be inscribed on the back of every piece of photo]
6 6x9cm group photos of spouse and /0r children(under 18, given that they are of foreign nationality)
Original copy and 2 photocopies of marriage documents.

http://www.mfa.ir/index.aspx?siteid=3&pageid=24717

9 hours ago, Kaya said:

Yes there are quite a lot of Shia centers in Canada. So even if I stay I will be surrounded by a good community thankfully.

I think it would be easier because of the small things. Like for example, praying would not be seen as something weird in workplace/school, children would not be taught LGBTQ type ideas which are against Islam, women would wear hijab and act modestly and there wouldn't be indecent/revealing images everywhere (ads, movies, etc).

And I really really miss hearing the Azan throughout the city when is praying time :grin:

I see brother. All the best then and inshallah you succeed.

edit:- Did you plan to move to GCC?

Edited by Diaz

2 hours ago, Diaz said:

Did you plan to move to GCC?

I did think about Qatar actually, because it seems the only nation that is not openly hostile to the Shi'a community in the Middle East... Otherwise the other countries in the Persian Gulf seem to be puppets of Saudi Arabia more or less 

20 hours ago, Kaya said:

Yes I know Turkish, I will definitely consider the Azari towns in Iran!

Interesting... I never knew that there were any Turkish people in Iran or that they immigrated there couple centuries ago. My ancestors apparently immigrated to Turkey from the Khorasan area, so I guess people immigrated both ways. 

They are called Romelu Turks (because they emigrated from Eastern Rome (now called Turkey) during Safavide era).

There are also Shamlu Turks whose ancestors were from Shaam(Syria).

20 hours ago, Kaya said:

I did think about Qatar actually, because it seems the only nation that is not openly hostile to the Shi'a community in the Middle East... Otherwise the other countries in the Persian Gulf seem to be puppets of Saudi Arabia more or less 

I’m not sure about Qatar, but I’m sure 100% that kuwait and Oman are friendly to Shia’s. 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:53 PM, Kaya said:

Would you recommend a Shia brother to immigrate to a Muslim country (let's say Iran) from a western country? Would it be hard if you do not speak the language? Does anyone have experience with something like this, and what are some of the challenges you faced? Of course such a migration would be for the sake of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and not material gains. Wasallam

No. I wouldnt recommend it. A man needs to be where he can work and support his family. If u don’t speak the language and have connections it will be extremely difficult to support yourself and your family. Most likely you will be living in poverty which will distract you from religion.