Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Thoughts on muta

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I just want to put my thoughts out here about muta and hopefully hear your thoughts about my thoughts lol. I know there's been a lot of questions on muta before on shiachat and obviously, the topic is very controversial, so yh I'm sorry for starting another post on the subject. I feel like Islamic teachings itslef is divided on the issue, I can't really reference any hadiths or sayings, but from previous reading, it feels like some teachings are advocating celibacy until marriage while at the same time others are permitting (at the extreme end) prostitution. No other religion in the world, as far as I know, has such a concept of specifying a time period to be together (even United Kingdom A-Level psychology books mention muta as something odd/interesting). I've heard so many messed up stories of ways people are using this. I think there's so many ways it could be interpreted e.g: as a religious way of having progressive relationships (girlfriend boyfriend scenario), as religiously sanctioned prostitution, as a way of casually getting along with females to escape very conservative religious laws. I think many Shias are confused about which way they should interpret it with different people choosing to interpret it in different ways. But the reality is that Shia Islamic laws at the extreme end allow for some serious debaucherous behavior, the fact that you don't have to tell your wife when contracting muta, saying women shouldn't be jealous of their husband wanting multiple wives, allowing polygamy, limitless muta. I'm actually surprised at how prudish our culture is given how lax our religious laws are. I've heard so many Shias complain about the west being too lax about sex and relationships, but our laws literally allow cheating, polygamy and prostitution. Interested to hear your thoughts.           

8 hours ago, Guest guest said:

I just want to put my thoughts out here about muta and hopefully hear your thoughts about my thoughts lol. I know there's been a lot of questions on muta before on shiachat and obviously, the topic is very controversial, so yh I'm sorry for starting another post on the subject. I feel like Islamic teachings itslef is divided on the issue, I can't really reference any hadiths or sayings, but from previous reading, it feels like some teachings are advocating celibacy until marriage while at the same time others are permitting (at the extreme end) prostitution. No other religion in the world, as far as I know, has such a concept of specifying a time period to be together (even United Kingdom A-Level psychology books mention muta as something odd/interesting). I've heard so many messed up stories of ways people are using this. I think there's so many ways it could be interpreted e.g: as a religious way of having progressive relationships (girlfriend boyfriend scenario), as religiously sanctioned prostitution, as a way of casually getting along with females to escape very conservative religious laws. I think many Shias are confused about which way they should interpret it with different people choosing to interpret it in different ways. But the reality is that Shia Islamic laws at the extreme end allow for some serious debaucherous behavior, the fact that you don't have to tell your wife when contracting muta, saying women shouldn't be jealous of their husband wanting multiple wives, allowing polygamy, limitless muta. I'm actually surprised at how prudish our culture is given how lax our religious laws are. I've heard so many Shias complain about the west being too lax about sex and relationships, but our laws literally allow cheating, polygamy and prostitution. Interested to hear your thoughts.       

What cheating and prostitution? :hahaha:

Our laws are against it completely. Mutah has nothing to do with them. We already have permission from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that we can marry up to 4 women. If a man marries another women secretly without his first wife knowing about it, does that means it’s cheating? Nope. If it’s marriage contract then that’s different. But of course he should treat them all equally or else Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will punish him.

Prostitution is a sin and our laws is against it. Read about mutah and how should we practice it. I’ve never found in any of our books that accept a women having multiple costumers in a day. When a man and a women practice mutah, after the contact is over and they don’t want to remarry again, the woman should wait for her iddah and then she can practice it again. Or else a lot of evil things will happen like she will get STD/AIDS or getting pregnant without knowing who is the father of her child. 

I’m just trying to say mutah is not prostitution and cheating. 

29 minutes ago, Diaz said:

I’ve never found in any of our books that accept a women having multiple costumers in a day.

That is what maraji refer to as a known fornicatress, and some do permit it, while others say it is reprehensible and rule as obligatory precaution that it is not permissable. Anyway, There are enough threads on this specific topic alone, I'm not saying anything groundbreaking here.

5 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

That is what maraji refer to as a known fornicatress, and some do permit it

Astaghfirullah, I’m speechless. I don’t know what to say. :( 

4 minutes ago, Diaz said:

Astaghfirullah, I’m speechless. I don’t know what to say. :( 

Just to make things clear, they allow temporary marriage with such women under certain conditions, a marriage that comes with all the laws, Mahr, Iddah, remaining chaste while being married to one man, not leaving the house without his permission etc etc. 

Guest guest
56 minutes ago, Diaz said:

If a man marries another women secretly without his first wife knowing about it, does that means it’s cheating? Nope.

That's literally the definition of cheating on your wife lol. But yh I'm talking about muta, you can basically sleep with as many women as you want while being married and not need to inform your wife according to our laws. Serial cheating. And the wife is considered more religious if she puts up with it. Feel it for Shia women to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

literally the definition of cheating on your wife

According to western secular laws. Depends what you choose to follow.

15 minutes ago, starlight said:

Just to make things clear, they allow temporary marriage with such women under certain conditions, a marriage that comes with all the laws, Mahr, Iddah, remaining chaste while being married to one man, not leaving the house without his permission etc etc. 

So I can marry a women temporary who is a adulteress?

6 minutes ago, Diaz said:

So I can marry a women temporary who is a adulteress?

If the marja you follow allows it, yes. There might be conditions associated with this which I am not aware of but I would suggest people to go through them if they are thinking of doing this. 

1 minute ago, starlight said:

If the marja you follow allows it, yes. 

Did the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) allowed it?

1 minute ago, Diaz said:

Did the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) allowed it?

I am merely telling you the Marjas rulings. If you want to know how the rulings were derived there are books on it which you can read. 

This isn't just a Shi'a thing, I was just reading about 'pleasure marriages' that Daesh did. Sadly it was a 'premium' article so a pay wall stopped me reading the rest, but basically young girls would queue up for an hour long marriage to these so called 'fighters'. I don't agree with either types of marriage, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

4 minutes ago, starlight said:

I am merely telling you the Marjas rulings. If you want to know how the rulings were derived there are books on it which you can read. 

Ok sister, thanks. 

36 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

That's literally the definition of cheating on your wife lol. But yh I'm talking about muta, you can basically sleep with as many women as you want while being married and not need to inform your wife according to our laws. Serial cheating. And the wife is considered more religious if she puts up with it. Feel it for Shia women to be honest. 

Due to modern understandings, most of us would see this as abhorrent.

But if you looked at the companions of the Prophet (s), there are narrations which mention how they were permitted to do mut'a when they were on expeditions. Did they inform their wives? Wallahu A'lam, but probably not. 

I think in order to fix this problem and for the wife to be assured that the husband doesn't do a secret mut'a, then I believe that she can put a condition in the marriage contract that the husband can't have more wives. 

In any case, even if it is legally permissible, the husband has to have a bit of sense in him. In our times, your wife is probably not going to enjoy you secretly sleeping with other women.  

Edited by Follower of Ahlulbayt

7 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

Everytime a mutah thread is created you have flocks of SCers trying to make some women feel as though their feelings are not valid concerning polygamy and mutah. 

It's a matter of personal preference. Some women want their husbands to remain monogamous and faithful to them. Some women don’t mind. Some men want blonde wives with blue eyes. Some men want darker skinned women. It is a matter of preference. Let's all be grown up about it and respect people's preferences. 

You couldn’t have framed it better 

on point !  :respect:

On 7/15/2019 at 4:38 AM, Guest guest said:

It is very unfortunate that you are interpreting Shia laws by biased approach and it shows you have not thought on other serious situations existing within the society. Psychologically speaking, do you think that only men are the one who really want to have a wife due to fear of sin or women also have some desire ? If you think that men are the only one, I would think that you take women as lifeless entity having no desire in that case mutah would be not appropriate as women does not need it. However, psychologically speaking, I would say that women are not robots, they have desires and needs, and one man cannot take care of all woman neither government can take care of them in Toto. It is their choice. Islam allows them this opportunity of temporary marriage, so that if they want to get married, to a person if for not always, then for sometime, in a nikah where the person has to take care of her as wife and children born out of that wedlock would be a legal heir to both of them. It would be great shame that instead of temporary marriage, a man takes advantage of woman by the promises that he will marry her, so Islam exhaust that plea by allowing for a temporary marriage so that her social position shall remain intact. It is the people who have make Mutah to be a bad name, while there is nothing illegal in it, marriage is done with nikah and observed with limitations. I have seen permanent marriages ending on the second day or in a week, how such permanent marriages are better than Mutah ? 

I ain't a Twelver but I if I was I would make use of Mutah marriage.