Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
arch1027116

How long does it take for one to get out of depression?

I know someone who is going through depression since a long time due to a relationship that her parents didn’t approve of. She was a bubbly and happy girl and now she is depressed. I tried to help her out but she doesnt want to talk or seek therapy. She is still unmarried and doesnt even work. I am really worried for her. 

Will she ever get out of it?  Do you know someone who was going through long term depression and got out of it? How can I help her?

1 hour ago, arch1027116 said:

I know someone who is going through depression since a long time due to a relationship that her parents didn’t approve of. She was a bubbly and happy girl and now she is depressed. I tried to help her out but she doesnt want to talk or seek therapy. She is still unmarried and doesnt even work. I am really worried for her. 

Will she ever get out of it?  Do you know someone who was going through long term depression and got out of it? How can I help her?

I went through long time depression as well 

I just want to say give her space and time to heal if she resorts to dangerous behaviors like suicide attempts or thinking about doing such then stop her and give her advice 

but even though your giving her space it’s appreciated if you try to help her get out of it as well because leaving some one completely alone is dangerous. 

Try to make her talk to people and share her pain it might make her feel better.

1 hour ago, arch1027116 said:

Depression and feelings the pangs of heartbreak are not necessarily the same thing. If it is heartbreak she's experiencing, encourage her to cry unabashedly somewhere privately where she won't feel judged. Holding it all in won't help. It's horses for courses. Let her dance to the beat of her own drum for some time. After a while, try to keep her occupied so she doesn't have too much time to dwell on it. Some people never truly get over heart break but the pain does lessen with the passing of time. 

4 hours ago, arch1027116 said:

yes one of my friend has swum  in the sea of depression and he survived. Tell her that if something does not go your way, it does not mean that life is finished. If your parents did not approve of someone, you must think as to what were the reasons. It may have happened that they thought about differences in your lives and reached to a conclusion that it will bring difficulties. So, you have to be mature and thoughtful and do not think of your parents as they are your enemies, they love you the most in the world.

Edited by Flying_Eagle

3 hours ago, Noor Taleb said:

I went through long time depression as well 

I just want to say give her space and time to heal if she resorts to dangerous behaviors like suicide attempts or thinking about doing such then stop her and give her advice 

but even though your giving her space it’s appreciated if you try to help her get out of it as well because leaving some one completely alone is dangerous. 

Try to make her talk to people and share her pain it might make her feel better.

you must be a psychologist :worried:

5 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

you must be a psychologist :worried:

Nah lol biologist here 

this is just some helpful things anyone can recommend 

Heartbreak may lead to depression. I’ve been there. It’s the worst feeling in the world. 

For me, it didn’t get better until I got treatment, but I would say it will take a few months to half a year for the feeling to subside without it, depending on the severity. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

On 7/15/2019 at 1:15 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Heartbreak may lead to depression. I’ve been there. It’s the worst feeling in the world. 

For me, it didn’t get better until I got treatment, but I would say it will take a few months to half a year for the feeling to subside without it, depending on the severity. 

How did you get ready to be treated? She isn’t agreeing to seek help? If you don’t mind asking, what kind of treatment did you go through? therapy? medicines?

On 7/14/2019 at 12:09 PM, arch1027116 said:

No, you don't get out of depression, you manage it. That being said, sounds like she has a broken heart. While depression isn't something one can "get", it's inherited and people can be susceptible to it, especially with a broken heart. 

As for a broken heart, it been said that time heals all wounds but I don't personally believe that. There's really not much you can do.

According to my psychologist for my own case, it should take around half a year. Most psychological issues are either casual and require two weeks, or more serious and require at least half a year of treatment. From there, it can get as long as it may get depending on life circumstances, living space, diet, pills/drugs use, problems that may appear while recovering, the quality of your talks with your psychologist, etc.

Problem is that it's very hard to take the first steps towards recovery, as if having depression and/or anxiety was a nice way to torture yourself because you feel you deserve it.

Edited by Bakir

After my daughter's birth, I had severe depression (mainly due to reading some sad news about children and women on the internet). I went to a psychiatrist and started taking medicine and my depression was treated very quickly.

don’t be disappointed. There is always a solution for every problem. Try to add saffron to your foods; it is effective.

“Your cure is within you, yet you do not sense it! Your sickness is from you, yet you do not see it! You consider yourself a small body; Yet encapsulated within you is the entire universe!”

~Imam Ali Ibn Abi Taleb ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))~