Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

ICYMI Part 3: Hamza Yusuf in the Trump Administration

Rate this topic

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf will be part of a panel of experts who will advice Trump on human rights. What are your thoughts on what Dr.. Usaama Al-Azami said of the appointment?: 

"For one of the West's most recognisable and once almost universally esteemed Islamic scholars to throw in his lot with the most venal and Islamophobic administration in American history will be viewed by many Muslims as an unforgivable lapse in judgement which will not easily be forgotten,"

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
9 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf will be part of a panel of experts who will advice Trump on human rights

Salam ,it's really a joke :D because Trump doesn't belive to human rights but Hamza Yusuf alwas was be a pacifist symbole but has same belief of other anti Shias with Sfavid fear syndrome that "Iran was a Sunni country that turned by forcing of Safavids to Shia & must backs to Sunnism again"  but based on his Sufi belief he works with any tyrant like as Trump to fulfill his agenda with political means.

Do you think a Muslim, if offered the opportunity, should take up a position in the administration as Hamza Yusuf will be? Or do you believe that they should keep out of this sort of politics due to, what is, a political minefield regarding the US and countries like Saudi Arabia?

Is being connected with an administration that supports countries that bomb Muslims just a step too far? Or can someone redeem the whole thing by trying to give advice. From a sort of public image perspective.

I believe it to be problematic from a religious aspect, what consequence does a person have if they are an advisor but do not manage to convince Trump not to do a certain thing? Does the welfare of those humans fall upon the advisor's shoulders, the death, the suffering etc? Will Allah hold them accountable for such failure, if they knew the US was responsible for or could intervene with human rights abuses, but didn't.

I would have left it to other experts if I was him, I can see why having a contemporary and popular scholar on board might be seen to be good, but still. 

Salaam alaykum,

I think reading this article on the Alleged role of Nasir ad-Din Toosi during the Mongol era can bring some perspective on Hamza Yusuf taking up/not taking up such a position. 

https://www.al-Islam.org/al-tawhid/vol8-n2/alleged-role-khawajah-nasir-al-din-al-tusi-fall-baghdad/alleged-role-khawajah

ws

What did he say about Iran exactly? I just remember he said that Shia Islam doesn't make sense for him because he can't believe companions could betrayed the Prophet (saws). 

On 7/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, Mohammadi_follower said:

What did he say about Iran exactly? I just remember he said that Shia Islam doesn't make sense for him because he can't believe companions could betrayed the Prophet (saws). 

Salam , he believes like other that Safavids force Iran to shiism & Iran Revolution intensifies it as a politicla problem too & he doesn't agree with current Shiism in Iran & says Iran must back to Sunnism on his behalf.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe