Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
shia_100

Is it better to recite a dua in Arabic or translation

Rate this topic

Guest Bakery

Try both.

First recite it in Arabic because these are the exact words of the Prophet and Imams, what’s more beautiful than the words uttered by their holy lips coming from their chosen intellect.

Immediately after, recite it in your language so you understand what they / you are asking Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

Time consuming yes, but overtime, in not more than a few iterations, you would start understanding the meanings while you would only be reading in Arabic, leaving you without the dependency of your own language.

This is what I do, gaining a lots of side benefits besides the Dua’ recitation and InshAllah it’s acceptance by the Almighty. 

18 minutes ago, shia_100 said:

Whats better reciting a dua in Arabic without being able to understand what you’re reciting or recite it translated to english so you can understand what you say?

I think the best is to make sure the dua comes from your heart, whatever language it may be.

If that means you do it in your native language then do it, if it means in Arabic, then do that.

I have never understood the point in joining congregational du'a, in the mosques I go to you will see the whole congregation say ameen over and over, they don't even know what they are saying ameen to because they don't speak Arabic as their mother tongue and they will only pick up on common words, not the subject matter in between. In theory they could be praying for something they don't agree with.

Make an effort to learn some surahs and also learn their meaning, so when you are praying salah you know what you are reciting. Other than that I definitely believe you should be sincere in your du'a and you can only do that if you truly understand the words you are saying. 

Edited by aaaz1618

If it's a dua'a the Prophet himself said and you're repeating it, then in Arabic to imitate him as accurately as possible. But know it's translation so you know word for word what you're saying. If it's a dua'a someone else said, then in a language you find most comfortable.

Definitely translation. If your Arabic good, recite Arabic. Try to recite Dua everyday. If you're not in mood of doing it, recite part of the dua or 3-4 sentences, but make it daily program.