Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
~RuQaYaH~

Male circumcision requirements (and other birth rituals)

Rate this topic

Salam all,

Am due to have a baby boy very very soon and just had some questions regarding the religious requirements for male circumcision (have found it a bit difficult to find this info online):

1.       Does the circumcision need to be performed at a particular time (ie. is it obligatory that it be performed within a specific time) or is there any recommended time in which it should be performed?

2.       Does the circumcision need to be performed by a Muslim or can anyone perform it?

3.       There are a few different methods of circumcision (eg: plastibell method, surgical, laser etc) – is there any particular religiously stipulated method or is any method ok?

4.       Do we need to recite any particular dua or verse or anything like that before, during or after it is performed?

5.       Any other Islamic requirements or anything else relevant with respect to circumcision that I should be aware of?

Separately, I read somewhere that if you have a baby boy you are supposed to shave his head on the seventh day after he is born – is this a requirement or just a recommendation? Can anyone shed more light please?

Finally, are there any other obligatory birth rituals I should be aware of?

If you could please post the fatwas with your answers that would be amazing. Thanks so much!

On 6/24/2019 at 4:38 PM, ~RuQaYaH~ said:

Salam all,

Am due to have a baby boy very very soon and just had some questions regarding the religious requirements for male circumcision (have found it a bit difficult to find this info online):

1.       Does the circumcision need to be performed at a particular time (ie. is it obligatory that it be performed within a specific time) or is there any recommended time in which it should be performed?

It is mustahab to do it on the 7th day, and to slaughter an animal for the child (separate from the one you will be slaughtering for Aqeeqah)

2.       Does the circumcision need to be performed by a Muslim or can anyone perform it?

It does not have to be performed by a Muslim, but it should be done in the Islamically accepted methods.

3.       There are a few different methods of circumcision (eg: plastibell method, surgical, laser etc) – is there any particular religiously stipulated method or is any method ok?

4.       Do we need to recite any particular dua or verse or anything like that before, during or after it is performed?

From duas.org:

Circumcision should preferably be performed when the baby is only a few days old, or otherwise at any time before his puberty. In many countries it is normally carried out between the ages of three and seven, but it is recommended to perform this rite on the seventh day after the birth of the child. Facilities for circumcision are normally provided at hospitals.

In this rite also it is recommended to invite guests and family friends and arrange food for the poor. It is also recommended to recite the following prayer at the time of the circumcision:

Allahumma hadhihi sunnatu-ka wa-sunatu nabiy-ka salawatu-ka ‘alay-hi wa-Ali-hi- wa- ’ttaba‘u mithali-ka wa-kutubi-ka li-mashi’ ati-ka wa-iradati-ka wa-qada’I-kal-amrin aradta-hu wa-qada’in hatamta-huwa-hukmin anfadhta-hu fa-’rja‘‘ an-hu hurra l-hadidi fi khitani-hi wa-hajamati-hi l-amrin, anta a‘rafu bi-hi min-ni. Allahumma fa-tahhir -hu mina dh-dhunubi wa-zid-ni‘umri-hi wa-’dfi ‘l-afat ‘an badani-hi wa-l-aqja‘a ‘an jisim-hi wa-zid-hu fi l-ghina wa-’dfa‘‘ an-hu l-faqra fa-inna-ka ta‘lamu wa-la na ‘lam.

O God, this is Your practice and the practice of Your Prophet, Your blessings be upon him and his family; obeying Your ideal and Your Books is the result of Your volition, and Your will and judgement you decreed, a rule You executed. So take away from him the pain of the knife in his circumcision and his scarification through a command – You are more knowing of it than I, O God. And cleanse him of sins, prolong his life for me, drive away injury and pain from his body, increase him in wealth, and fend off poverty from him; for You know and we do not.

5.       Any other Islamic requirements or anything else relevant with respect to circumcision that I should be aware of?

Separately, I read somewhere that if you have a baby boy you are supposed to shave his head on the seventh day after he is born – is this a requirement or just a recommendation? Can anyone shed more light please?

This is for all babies, male or female, on the 7th day along with the aqeeqah. If not possible, on the 14th.

Finally, are there any other obligatory birth rituals I should be aware of?

If you could please post the fatwas with your answers that would be amazing. Thanks so much!

On 6/24/2019 at 2:38 PM, ~RuQaYaH~ said:

Does the circumcision need to be performed at a particular time (ie. is it obligatory that it be performed within a specific time) or is there any recommended time in which it should be performed?

7th day see Ayatollah Khamenei'S reference below... 

Does the circumcision need to be performed by a Muslim or can anyone perform it?

Anyone, I had it done at a small white surgery around the corner nearly 17 years ago. 

There are a few different methods of circumcision (eg: plastibell method, surgical, laser etc) – is there any particular religiously stipulated method or is any method ok?

As long as it's safe there is no issue in it. I would've definitely had a "western method" performed for my one... 

Do we need to recite any particular dua or verse or anything like that before, during or after it is performed?

Not that I know of, but you can just pray it all goes well I guess... As with any surgery... 

Any other Islamic requirements or anything else relevant with respect to circumcision that I should be aware of?

Have a read of this:

Ayatollah Khamenei:

Q: When a baby is born to us, what are the mustaḥabb and obligatory acts to do? I heard that one would say adhān in his / her right ear, etc. Would you explain that in detail?

A: There are certain manners and etiquettes to be adopted at the birth some of which are obligatory and others are mustaḥabb. The obligatory one is circumcision for a male baby which is recommended to be done on the 7th day. There are many mustaḥabb and here are some of them:

1- Bathing the baby at birth provided it is not harmful.

2- Saying adhān in his / her right ear and iqamāh in the left one.

3- Smearing the baby’s palate with water from the Euphrates river and soil from the shrine of Imam Ḥusayn (a.).

4- Naming the baby a good name and it is preferable to give him the names of the Prophets (s.), their executors 

and those names that indicate servitude to Allah. 

5- Arranging for a banquet (walīmah) upon birth.

6- Slaughtering an ‘aqīqah animal which is recommended to be on the seventh day.

7- It is mustaḥabb to shave baby’s head from the seventh day on and giving gold or silver, that equals the shaved hair in weight, in charity.

Edited by Ali~J