Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Do you guys think unity between our these two religions would be good? (Unity as in support each other and focus on common grounds) I think so personally. And the comment I took a screenshot of, I agree with, because both religions are trying to serve God. 

6FAEF901-2AC1-4C5F-85CA-F7F8BFA18266.jpeg

Edited by Isaam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this sort of mutual support and cooperation eventually happens organically in most multi-religious communities. Muslims are certainly at the table now in discussing societal issues and problems with other people of faith. As well, in a truly "organic" turn of events, the rate of intermarriage is rising. This means a lot of western Muslims now being born are going to grow up with half of their family being Christian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I think this sort of mutual support and cooperation eventually happens organically in most multi-religious communities. Muslims are certainly at the table now in discussing societal issues and problems with other people of faith. As well, in a truly "organic" turn of events, the rate of intermarriage is rising. This means a lot of western Muslims now being born are going to grow up with half of their family being Christian.

Yea. Unfortunately there is still a lot of racism and hate though. Like even when I watch like an Islamic lecture online, you will always see someone comment “All Muslims to hell” or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Racism and religious hate is going to be with us. In my case, I wish it would stay confined to comments. But there has been solidarity, too, like when non-Muslims formed a " love circle" around a mosque those white supremecists were going to do who-knows-what to in Arizona. This week, a community pushed back against folks making rude and racist online comments against Muslim students in their schools. It's a transformation period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, it’s simple. We need to differentiate between dialogue and everyday life. Most people who are not scholars should keep their mouth shut and not discuss religion because they attempt to convert everyone or show the flaws in each other’s religion. Uniting as human beings is really simple. you’re a human, I’m a human. All we need to do is squash problems that have nothing to do with religion; we have tons of them: homelessness, global warming, opioids, etc.

we complicate a very simple notion. religion is personal belief, keep it personal and let the experts talk to each other. they’re usually better at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

we complicate a very simple notion. religion is personal belief, keep it personal and let the experts talk to each other. they’re usually better at it.

The experts do talk to each other, but are they reaching everybody? Should the gaps then be filled by the common man if required?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ Racism and religious hate is going to be with us. In my case, I wish it would stay confined to comments. But there has been solidarity, too, like when non-Muslims formed a " love circle" around a mosque those white supremecists were going to do who-knows-what to in Arizona. This week, a community pushed back against folks making rude and racist online comments against Muslim students in their schools. It's a transformation period.

I’m glad stuff is happening. We should peacefully co-exists and we can talk about our similarities in our religions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an outsider, the communions most in common with Islam are also the least likely to engage in dialogue. 

Liberals will be the most likely to engage with Muslims but, doctrinally, have the least in common. 

I'd love to see a Pan-Orthodox-Islamic conference, but good luck getting Greeks and Turks to sit down together, practically speaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordinary people reasonably informed regarding their own faith can have fruitful conversations if the conversations are entered into respectfully. That's what a lot of folks in this forum do every day.

We all have "experts "we can consult if something comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reza said:

The experts do talk to each other, but are they reaching everybody? Should the gaps then be filled by the common man if required?

They’re not reaching everybody because it’s a failure within the system that we accept. Look at the Zizek vs Peterson debate. That reached a lot of people because the people pushed it to be heard. We are not pushing these dialogues between the experts hard enough.

The common man should never fill anything. the common man should pressure outlets and event holders to host dialogues between experts. the common man has a hero complex, we do not need that in such situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most common folks are going to ask common questions that other common folks can answer. For instance, if I ask my Jewish college buddy a question, she's competent enough at her faith to answer me nine times out of ten. She only has to ask the rabbi occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Ordinary people reasonably informed regarding their own faith can have fruitful conversations if the conversations are entered into respectfully. That's what a lot of folks in this forum do every day.

We all have "experts "we can consult if something comes up.

If more people in the world we’re like the people on Shiachat, than the world would be a much more friendlier place. You guys are the true Christians, because it seems like a lot don’t follow the Ten Commandments anymore, and it even seems like the youth (of any religion) don’t really care about their religious practices, and I can tell that by school

 

And if there were less people like the people who put comments like this (in the picture), (who apparently they believe themeselves as God and can decided who enters heaven or hell) Than I think everyone can co-exist peacefully 

CF8AB1F6-737A-4195-8FC0-D0EF025AA55B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what proportion of the , say, US population is actually afraid of and negative towards Islam. But there are certainly vocal folks in that population.  Makes it hard to judge. But I do know a lot of the mainstream churches are encouraging religious tolerance these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I'm not sure what proportion of the , say, US population is actually afraid of and negative towards Islam. But there are certainly vocal folks in that population.  Makes it hard to judge. But I do know a lot of the mainstream churches are encouraging religious tolerance these days.

Yea, but the people in the comment are the same people who probably think Muslims worship the moon. There was a video showing the word Allah in the Arabic Bible to show that it means ‘The God’ because ilah mean God and Al means The. So it meant the God of the Jews, Christians & Muslims

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...