Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
King

Biggest Arab survey BBC - Are Arabs turning their backs on religion?

Rate this topic

Guest Ali

Sorry a bot off topic, but I think the masses have not understood religion correctly.. just practising religious duties is not religion. Muslims need to ponder where they have gone wrong and why they are the most isolated people. We can’t be blaming others for all our problems. Food for thought !!

The proportion of people who said they were not religious rose from 11% in 2012-14 to 18% in 2019. Trust in religious leaders has also decreased everywhere but Lebanon, where it has doubled since 2016. Morocco, Libyaand Palestine showed the steepest drops in confidence.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/jun/24/Arab-world-turns-its-back-on-religion-and-its-ire-on-the-us

1381525943_Screenshot2019-06-24at10_12_32.thumb.png.59c13736795cb81d95107009ab98453f.png

It is not just the Arabs and Africans. Also it is not an abrupt change In my humble opinion. It is just that the newer generations, the millennials and even the Gen Z must have been included in a big way. It was a slow and long process and now the latest generations are.... assimilated. Having surrendered to globalization and consented to the package deal through puppets like Qaddafi and Saddam, using western education standards, adopting their culture, their tv, their currency, capitalist economic system, and everything else and wooing for them and then trying to be Muslim, no wonder. Go back in history and you will see the birth of the Wahhabi sects, before that they were Sunni under monarchy which enforced stuff with the stick. Then before that they were mu'tazilli, before that Jabriy or Qadriy, anything but Adherents of Ahl al Bayt (عليه السلام) teachings. So nothing which wasn't foretold, basically.

I beg to state that the Shia communities are either undergoing this now or not far behind.

The positive aspects are two. The hypocriticism will disappear, as foretold. The Mahdi will finally reappear.

5 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Woah that means iraqis don’t trust their own Ayatollah according to this survey. Just woah.

For Iraq, it is not clear whether e.g. Sunni respondents are talking about Sunni religious leaders or Shia ones. Depending on how ambiguous the question wording was you could easily have Sunnis assuming that they were being asked about the Shia religious leadership and downvoting them accordingly.

This is the end of times and it will get worse MUCH worse.

As the world becomes more globalized the cultures of the different societies are moving and molding into one "modern" culture. This new culture does not put any emphasis on spirituality whatsoever and it promotes one to keep the mind busy with entertainment at all times and leaves no space for reflection. A very shallow and materialistic culture with huge emphasis on the individual, forget about family and society, it's all about you and what you have.

My personal advise is to guard yourself even more, always look at life from a third view perspective, otherwise its easy to forget the bigger picture.

This video is pretty nice, it's from a Christian man but the metaphor is true:

2 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

These Arabs look pretty religious to me...

Lets just hope its not just a matter of identity, which it sometimes becomes for minorities. 

Such as assyrian Christians who love to wear the cross, tattoo it to their skin as well, even if they are in crime gangs.

The Holy Prophet (S) said: "There will come a time for people that: they will not respect their scholars except for their good clothing; they will not hearken to the Qur'an except for the pleasant voice; and they will not worship Allah except for during the fasting month; there will be no shyness in their women, no patience in their poor ones; and no prosperity for their rich ones, they will not be contented with a small (portion), and they will not be satiated with abundance. They will strive (only) for their stomach; their religion is their money (wealth); their women are their Qiblah (direction of worship); and their homes are their mosques; they run away from their scholars just as lambs run away from wolves.

Then, when they become like that, the Lord will afflict them with three conditions. At first, He takes the prosperity from their properties. The second is that a cruel ruler will dominate them. The third is that they will pass away from this world without having (true) Faith."

Waqayi'-ul-'Ayyam, p. 439

The Holy Prophet (S) said: "There will come a time for my Ummah when their rulers will be cruel, their scholars will be greedy and have little piety, their worshippers (will act) hypocritically, their merchants will commit usury and conceal the defects of their buyings and sellings and their women will be busy with the ornaments of the world. Hence, at this time, the most vicious of them will dominate over them, and their good doers will invocate but they will not be answered."

Bihar-ul-Anwar, vol. 23, p. 22

The Holy Prophet (S) said: "There will come a time for my Ummah when they will love five things while neglecting five others:

They will love this world and neglect the next world.

They will love wealth and forget (the Day of) Reckoning.

They (their men) will love (corruptive) women and forget the houries.

They will love buildings and forget the graves.

And, they will love (their) selves and forget the Lord. Those (such people) dislike me and I, too, dislike them."

Al-Ithna 'Ashariyyah, p. 202

25 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Lets just hope its not just a matter of identity, which it sometimes becomes for minorities. 

Such as assyrian Christians who love to wear the cross, tattoo it to their skin as well, even if they are in crime gangs.

I hope not, too. But my " opposite number" ( the other grandma)  in this family reminded me that Arabs come in more than one faith. I'm assuming they were included in the survey,

2 hours ago, IbnSina said:

In my experience ME Christians are more religious than the Muslims especially Copts and Assyrians, Lebanese Christians are less but are more religious than Lebanese Muslims who are mostly secularized.

57 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Lebanon has become more secular than turkey now, and will soon surpass Israel making it the most secular country in the Middle East.

https://www.aljumhuriya.net/en/al-jumhuriya-fellowship/on-rising-apostasy

Shaami Arabs openly drink wine and say Kasak or cheers. At this point Iraq and maybe South Asia are the only hope for Shias.

You can see the questionnaire that they used here (I think it is the right one):

https://www.arabbarometer.org/waves/Arab-barometer-wave-v/#questionnaires

This is the question about Hezbollah, it's lumped together with a number of other organisations/groups, so I don't know how meaningful the results will be for any one of them:

33080320_Screenshot2019-06-25at08_04_14.thumb.png.cae79730a1fb7f87b0c8198d48bf0a37.png

6 hours ago, Enlightened Follower said:

In my experience ME Christians are more religious than the Muslims especially Copts and Assyrians, Lebanese Christians are less but are more religious than Lebanese Muslims who are mostly secularized.

I had never been to Egypt so I will not deny what you said about this country because I simply don’t know. However I lived in Lebanon and I just totally disagree with what you just said. There are hypocrit people among Christian or Muslim lebanese this is true but in general I didnt see at all lebanese Muslims being less religious than lebanese Christians. I would even said the opposite for be more clear.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, King said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48703377

Arabs are increasingly saying they are no longer religious, according to the largest and most in-depth survey undertaken of the Middle East and North Africa.

im not surprised, its not only arabs tho its the whole population of Muslims

7 hours ago, Enlightened Follower said:

At this point Iraq and maybe South Asia are the only hope for Shias.

What do you mean maybe? There's literally more Shia in Pakistan alone than Iraq, let alone the combined population of the Subcontinent.

Generally South Asians are a lot more emotionally attached to religion than Arabs, especially in light of this report.

46 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

What do you mean maybe? There's literally more Shia in Pakistan alone than Iraq, let alone the combined population of the Subcontinent.

Generally South Asians are a lot more emotionally attached to religion than Arabs, especially in light of this report.

I wrote a post for this but I deleted it as I realized something and now I can summarize and make a one word post in response to above:

Trololo.

21 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

I wrote a post for this but I deleted it as I realized something and now I can summarize and make a one word post in response to above:

Trololo.

That's a cool story brethren.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

4 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Generally South Asians are a lot more emotionally attached to religion than Arabs

Reminds me of this

http://english.Khamenei.ir/news/4062/Pakistanis-faith-is-deeper-than-that-of-many-other-Muslim-countries

I believe that the faith of the Pakistani people is deeper than that of many other Muslim countries, or perhaps better say almost all other Muslim countries; I can argue on that.

15 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

Is it really the case ? Because I most elections pakistanis voted in majority for liberal political parties instead of religious political parties.

2 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Is it really the case ? Because I most elections pakistanis voted in majority for liberal political parties instead of religious political parties.

Actually, free and fair elections have been rare in Pakistan. Almost every leader has to fit through a sieve and only when it is their time are they eased into power. That said, there is little life in a faith stemming from the seed of zealotry potted inside ignorance. But I hope for the best.

16 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Salam , it talks about their strength of faith that is true about them & also Shia people of Afghanistan  not their political experience among Shias Iran has longer history & experience  in political issues but still people make great errors about electing authorities after all of these years of experiencing different political issues & parties ,after Iran ,Iraq & Syria are making first steps in politics but Shia community of Pakistan & Afghanistan still needs  more years of education & experience in politics  .

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam , it talks about their strength of faith that is true about them & also Shia people of Afghanistan  not their political experience among Shias Iran has longer history & experience  in political issues but still people make great errors about electing authorities after all of these years of experiencing different political issues & parties ,after Iran ,Iraq & Syria are making first steps in politics but Shia community of Pakistan & Afghanistan still needs  more years of education & experience in politics  .

Well even in Iraq they elected a person who was anti Iran recently you remember ^^ ?