Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Pingu

cutting off blood relatives

Rate this topic

This is haram but does it still apply if you just don't speak to them because of an altercation which had taken place previously. It becomes very awkward and you're kinda forced to not talk. what is the ruling and is it true this shortens your life?

1 hour ago, Pingu said:

This is haram but does it still apply if you just don't speak to them because of an altercation which had taken place previously. It becomes very awkward and you're kinda forced to not talk. what is the ruling and is it true this shortens your life?

This is the first time I'm hearing that, it's probably some sort of myth. I wouldn't say "cut it off", but just remain distant with them and talk every once in a while, if the situation is that bad.

3 hours ago, Pingu said:

Yes, I've heard this hadeeth narrated many times too. The dilemma is that some relatives are so toxic that they quite literally suck the life out of you. I too  would be curious to know how one should deal with such relatives. 

Edit: Obviously from a common sense perspective one should distance them self from such people and limit communication to cordial greetings only. I am enquiring from an Islamic perspective.

Edited by Aflower

It could possibly shorten your life, provided that the family member you cut off specifically told you they'd hunt you down and force feed you food that you had allergies to if you cut them off.

It's normal for a while, but at some point someone has to break the silence. People can't be angry at each other for too long. =/ But if they are, it's probably one of the people is a bad person which would make sense why there is distance. So it's not even anger being the motivation behind the action, it's logic. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere, either Qur'an or hadeeth that Allah loves those who builds relationships. Which makes sense because Allah hates divorce even though it's allowed.

I've posted this before:

Ayatollah Khamenei told me:

"Bismihi Ta`ala

Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Cutting ties with one's blood relatives is haraam. However, maintaining ties with relatives is not confined to visiting them, but it also could be done through other means like phoning, messaging, etc.

With prayers for your success."

So you can message or phone them, obviously that would be awkward in your situation but I think you have to at least try. If you message "Hi, how are you?" Once in a while and you get no responses, that's OK at least you were trying to maintain the sliver of relation which is left at a distance.....

Otherwise what can you say on judgement day if you don't at least try? I know it sounds harsh. But being good is never easy.... 

And using logic, you can determine that you're lifespan will not shorten if you have pure intentions and you weren't the one cutting the relationships and you are trying.