In the Name of God بسم الله

What constitues a lie?

Rate this topic

Pingu

• Advanced Member

If someone says they will do something (or even stop doing something) but ends up not fulfilling or doing/ not doing what they said they won't/will do (I.e not keeping your word), is it considered lying?

Just from my observation I don't think so, otherwise when we set out to do something bad but don't fulfill it that would be considered a lie too, which it isn't. It's good if we don't fulfill something bad we said we would do. If we set out to do something good but don't do it, depending on the reason why, it is still not a bad thing. People don't tend to view it as lying unless they don't understand the situation or already have a negative opinion of the person in question.

Lying is calculated, one could argue that angry people that say daft things to their mums aren't being calculated at all in the heat of the moment. By saying what you said were you wanting to gain anything from it, or were you just in a bad mood? Lies have well planned out purposes, to hide true emotion about something, to hide faults, to avoid hurting someone etc.

If you made a promise, you broke your word, but breaking your word by doing something positive may be better than breaking a positive word by doing something negative. Maybe. Again, just my two pence on the matter.

• Veteran Member

Lying is when you are trying to pass something as truth when you know it's not. Breaking your word or oath is something else, and like aaaz said, it is good to break a bad oath, Allah will reward you for choosing to do good when you originally wanted to do something bad. Like Hurr inshaAllah. 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Lying is when you are trying to pass something as truth when you know it's not. Breaking your word or oath is something else, and like aaaz said, it is good to break a bad oath, Allah will reward you for choosing to do good when you originally wanted to do something bad. Like Hurr inshaAllah. 

No. Allah dislikes that I say something and don't do it. Even if it is a negative/real thing. Even if it is a good thing. If I swear or intend to do something negative, and don't Allah will be displeased but expect you like Prophet Muhammed to be moral or intelligent. Nothing is true and nothing is false, except Allahs word.

يا ايها الذين امنوا لم تقولوان ما لا تفعلوان؟ كبر مقتا عند الله ان تقولوا ما لا تفعلوان

Edited by Lunarious

4 hours ago, Pingu said:

If someone says they will do something (or even stop doing something) but ends up not fulfilling or doing/ not doing what they said they won't/will do (I.e not keeping your word), is it considered lying?

you are getting confused between intention and action. you may intend to do one thing and it may never reach completion even if you say it out loud. e.g. I will become a doctor one day. 

this is an intention and it may or may not happen.

if you make a promise to do something, depends on the promise etc. 

also you really can't promise to to perform a sin (like not talking to your parents :) the promise itself invalid.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Pingu said:

Lying is intentional deception. If you make an oath that you have no intention of keeping, that may also be a lie, but if you intend to keep it and then don't, it's not a lie, it's a broken promise.