Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Noor Taleb

Aladdin

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Noor Taleb said:

Did anyone watch Aladdin and see how the Arab culture is portrayed it’s not so well done 

Yeah I saw it. I thought it was an inaccurate portrayal. They should have chosen an Arab or a Persian actress, since Jasmine was not Indian. Not even the clothes looked Arab enough.

I think the original version is much better.

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Yeah I saw it. I thought it was an inaccurate portrayal. They should have chosen an Arab or a Persian actress, since Jasmine was not Indian. Not even the clothes looked Arab enough.

I think the original version is much better.

No offense you got it all wrong 

the original version is worse !!! See the comparison videos ob YouTube 

and this latest one is soooo way better but still wrong lol

54 minutes ago, Noor Taleb said:

No offense you got it all wrong 

the original version is worse !!! See the comparison videos ob YouTube 

and this latest one is soooo way better but still wrong lol

Nah the original has such a magical element to it, that the new one doesn't have. It just felt so much more fairytale-like. The new one didnt really focus on individual character development and the Arabic setting was almost like an accessory and wasnt really explored properly. 

I think with the new one they could have presented a mode neutral image of the Arab world and developed both characters on a deeper level.

Edited by 2Timeless

I honestly haven't seen it. Disney isn't known for its accuracy in portraying cultures or history. My daughter saw it. I started a tongue-in-cheek topic about it a couple of days ago ...dealing with another issue she reported. Supposedly , they made an effort to include people from the " correct" cultures in the film. But even if the source material isn't from a " western" source, unlike a lot of the European fairy tales that were Disney's bread and butter for a long time, Disney somehow usually manages to twist it into western stereotypes somehow, even in what I guess is a half-hearted attempt at " diversity". Rumor was that the Arab community in the US at the time the animated version came out objected to the lyrics of some of the songs and they had to be changed. We've come a ways since 1992, so I was hoping the new version would be better.

on another note: what the heck is going on with that parrot " Iago" anyway?!

He is a macaw.

Macaws are found only in the Western Hemisphere.

I'm totally impressed that our cousins to the south could trade that far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There’s multiple Arab and Iranian actors in the film. Aladdin, Jafar, Dalia, and the Sultan are all played by Arab or Iranian actors. Only Jasmine isn’t. An all Latino or Caucasian cast would have happened years ago, but wouldn’t fly today.

Also, I’m sure the film would likely describe itself as “Arab inspired” rather than being an direct portrayal. It is a fantasy movie after all. Although I could understand the real world impact on how it shows things.

Edited by Chef

33 minutes ago, Chef said:

There’s multiple Arab and Iranian actors in the film. Aladdin, Jafar, Dalia, and the Sultan are all played by Arab or Iranian actors. Only Jasmine isn’t. An all Latino or Caucasian cast would have happened years ago, but wouldn’t fly today.

Also, I’m sure the film would likely describe itself as “Arab inspired” rather than being an direct portrayal. It is a fantasy movie after all. Although I could understand the real world impact on how it shows things.

Are you Gordon Ramsay :hahaha:

3 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

Nah the original has such a magical element to it, that the new one doesn't have. It just felt so much more fairytale-like. The new one didnt really focus on individual character development and the Arabic setting was almost like an accessory and wasnt really explored properly. 

I think with the new one they could have presented a mode neutral image of the Arab world and developed both characters on a deeper level.

New one  is appropriate regards to Arab culture  unlike the original 

Eg In the song Arabian nights original 

it’s barbaric but hey it’s home 

And inappropriate dressing and scenes in original 

that’s my point lol

2 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I honestly haven't seen it. Disney isn't known for its accuracy in portraying cultures or history. My daughter saw it. I started a tongue-in-cheek topic about it a couple of days ago ...dealing with another issue she reported. Supposedly , they made an effort to include people from the " correct" cultures in the film. But even if the source material isn't from a " western" source, unlike a lot of the European fairy tales that were Disney's bread and butter for a long time, Disney somehow usually manages to twist it into western stereotypes somehow, even in what I guess is a half-hearted attempt at " diversity". Rumor was that the Arab community in the US at the time the animated version came out objected to the lyrics of some of the songs and they had to be changed. We've come a ways since 1992, so I was hoping the new version would be better.

on another note: what the heck is going on with that parrot " Iago" anyway?!

He is a macaw.

Macaws are found only in the Western Hemisphere.

I'm totally impressed that our cousins to the south could trade that far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I agree

their Disney 

why would they bother to portray the truth of Muslims like what upset me off in the new movie is that the sultan is like to his daughter you can’t be sultan like I get it we have rules regarding females in Islam BUT YOU DISNEY GAVE A FREAKING LAME REASON FOR THE FATHER NOT ALLOWING THE DAUGHTER AND THAT IS ITS NEVER DONE BEFORE

* FACEPALM*

oof how ignorant of you I believe if they told the Islamic reasoning people will be like oh that makes perfect sense how beautiful is Islam and that would be not what the media wants 

it comes as a no surprise 

Sorry, sitting here with a sore leg that I'm supposed to stay off of and a long evening ahead. Tired of paperwork. I was wondering if anyone is sure where " Aladdin " is even supposed to be from, though. Some seem think he's Arab, others Persian, and some even Chinese. As I recall, the stories within the frame story take place in various places. Maybe that's why Disney still does a mish-mash of cultural things. 

I think Disney is allergic to dealing with religious concepts. Probably think it would turn the audience off. 

I wonder if 30% of Republicans and 13% of Democrats still want to bomb Agrabah.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

1 hour ago, Chef said:

You can have "ethnically appropriate" actors in a film and still have it not be representational of a culture.

14 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ I guess that is the question and one I'm not qualified to answer because I haven't seen the new one... Is it supposed to represent specifically Arab culture?

Does anyone ask this about Cinderella? Does a French or English bloke inquire if his culture is being properly represented? But for the Arabic or Chinese setting the debate is endless.

Crazy, yeah?

Edited by Chef

Yes,  many of the European fairy tales can be traced to specific ethnicities. Most  movies in Hollywood,in Disney studios, etc.  have been made with white people in charge of the process in the past. (Even so...Sure, I've heard Europeans of various nations complain about their portrayals in film. )Since people of non-white ethnicities are now being portrayed more often, but are often NOT in charge of the film-making process in the big western markets, I think they have a legitimate concern.

The fantasy genre is not exempt from this.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

I think Disney is allergic to dealing with religious concepts. Probably think it would turn the audience off. 

I watched a lot of Disney shows when I was younger, but imagine the families celebrating Eid instead of Christmas.

I can’t even imagine what would go on in America, the racists would be so mad. (I can tell as an American myself lol)

^ well, they ARE trying to create a product that will have the greatest appeal and bring them the most money. But I think we are getting to the place where portraying an EId  celebration might be just fine, just like Christmas is. Christmas, in these films, is usually depicted in a pretty generic and mild fashion.

This sounds like a complaint.

Yeah, it looks more Bollywood than anything. =/ Even the dancing. Too much color too. Aladdin was too well dressed to be a poor street rat as well. 

Will Smith was awesome as the Genie though. =) I was actually worried about it because of how weird it looked and all the hate made it worse for me, but if you watch it while seeing Will Smith play the Genie and not Robin Williams play the Genie, you'll appreciate it.