Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
starlight

Do not feel like doing taqleed anymore

Rate this topic

Salam everyone,

I am a muqallid of Ayatullah Sistani. I had been thinking of changing marjas for some time now. The are a few reasons behind it the most important one being difficult access to him for an answer or fiqhi problem. This is something I have experienced for years. 

I have been looking at other marjas to follow but suddenly I do not feel like following anyone. 

Can I not follow anyone? 

WaSalam 

Yes,

if he is neither a Mujtahid nor a follower (Muqallid), he should act on such precaution which should assure him that he has fulfilled his religious obligation. For example, if some Mujtahids consider an act to be haraam, while others say that it is not, he should not perform that act. Similarly, if some Mujtahid consider an act to be obligatory (Wajib) while others consider it to be recommended (Mustahab), he should perform it. Therefore, it is obligatory upon those persons who are neither Mujta hids, nor able to act on precautionary measures (Ihtiyat), to follow a Mujtahid

Alaikas Salaam, 

If you're mujtahid yourself and able to deduce Jurisprudential rulings or atleast have enough knowledge to act precautiously between verdicts of different mujtahideen, you can choose not to do Taqleed. 

27 minutes ago, starlight said:

The are a few reasons behind it the most important one being difficult access to him for an answer or fiqhi problem.

I don't think this is valid reason to change muqallad. 

59 minutes ago, starlight said:

Salam everyone,

I am a muqallid of Ayatullah Sistani. I had been thinking of changing marjas for some time now. The are a few reasons behind it the most important one being difficult access to him for an answer or fiqhi problem. This is something I have experienced for years. 

I have been looking at other marjas to follow but suddenly I do not feel like following anyone. 

Can I not follow anyone? 

Changing marjas is perfectly understandable when there are issues and no one can tell you not to switch. For instance, my marja answers quickly and I believe he’s the most knowledgeable on Fiqh related issues, so I follow him. 

But for you it might be different. In the end, it’s your decision and no one can make you feel bad about it. You won’t be committing haram, but you’re choosing someone else whom you’d feel is more knowledgeable, accessible, etc. 

8 hours ago, starlight said:

I have been looking at other marjas to follow but suddenly I do not feel like following anyone

Can I not follow anyone? 

Yes, absolutely!

But following a marja is meant to make things easier for you. 

3 hours ago, starlight said:

Salam everyone,

Can I not follow anyone? 

Dear sister, the purpose for which Taqlid is necessary is not because for a political reason but for your own benefit. Marajas state that if you disagree with one of your maraja in an issue and another maraja state against previous and you agree to latter Marja, you have permission to follow the fatwa with which you agree. Taqleed is for you that you may build contacts with scholars and do not neglect them, they are doctors of their field, and if you know equal to them or if you know that much that you are not a Maraja but you are able to decide what is right for you, then there is no need for you to do taqleed. 

52 minutes ago, notme said:

That's not really guidance. 

That's true...but not having a Marja also means not having their published or online opinions to follow. Most of the time we can get what we need from the websites. Its the specialized questions that take forever (if at all) to get an answer to. 

I don't think I've ever gotten a response to the questions I emailed. Its been very frustrating for me too, but at least many of the general rules are available online so I guess that would be how I justify having a Marja regardless of replies to requests.

I used to get answers to my questions, then they stopped, then I stopped asking. I still consider myself to be "following", but if a question isn't answered in the (English) books or website, I just use my own reasoning. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

I used to get answers to my questions, then they stopped, then I stopped asking. I still consider myself to be "following", but if a question isn't answered in the (English) books or website, I just use my own reasoning. 

Same brother same :byecry:

Just now, IbnSina said:

Since when did feeling have anything to do with taqleed?

Lets all be our own marjaees and derive whatever fatwas we feel like based on whats convenient.

Feelings aren't the issue, that's just a way of speaking. It seems to me that the issue is lack of availability to provide guidance, and sister @starlight (correct me if I'm assuming incorrectly) is wondering "what's the point?". 

Even when I used to get answers, they were practically useless. A "yes" or "no" without any further elaboration does not increase my knowledge or improve my spirituality, it only frustrates me. That's another reason I stopped asking, that along with the months to never that it took to get even a one word reply. Better to research it myself so I have understanding rather than blind adherence to a fallible person. 

45 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

So your saying you want to be your own marjae basically?

No one is saying that. People are saying that they need someone who responds promptly and puts in effort for reasoning behind something being halal or haram. Not lazy y/n answers. How does anyone expect others to do taqlid without evidence and explanations to back up his ruling? 

:salam:

@starlight do you really feel some fiqh questions are still unanswered ?

I definitely can relate, but have found that all my daily issues have already been solved by my current taqlid, so it does not remain a major point. I also found the differences of fiqh from one marja` to another being so unsignificant that it makes it all irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, notme said:

No, I want to understand. If I wanted to blindly follow, I'd still be Christian. 

Please be realistic for a moment, you want each question that the marjae office gets to come with a complete answer with full explanation, sources, etc and ready for any follow up questions?

Do you think they have resources for this?

Your marja is not your personal religious teacher, to expect them to teach you about religion by explaining how they derive each fatwa in details until you are personally satisfied with it is really not realistic.

Its like going to a doctor and then asking them to teach you everything they know about the diagnosis they just gave you before agreeing with them.

2 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Its like going to a doctor and then asking them to teach you everything they know about the diagnosis they just gave you before agreeing with them.

Doctors will provide as much information as they can in the allotted time of the appointment, then point you in the right direction to do your own research and encourage going for a second opinion if you don't understand how they've reached their diagnosis. This analogy has failed you by supporting exactly my point. 

2 hours ago, IbnSina said:

you want each question that the marjae office gets to come with a complete answer with full explanation, sources, etc and ready for any follow up questions?

Why are some questions and answers on the website, then? Why not publish all questions, so that others can benefit? 

2 hours ago, notme said:

Doctors will provide as much information as they can in the allotted time of the appointment, then point you in the right direction to do your own research and encourage going for a second opinion if you don't understand how they've reached their diagnosis. This analogy has failed you by supporting exactly my point. 

Most definitely not.

What your asking for is not what you would get from a doctor either. They will not sit down and open book pages for you to read regarding what they have told you. And they will not change their diagnosis just because you don’t agree with it.

I don’t know what doctors you have visited. 

If you want to know how marjaes come up with their fatwas, you are most welcome to go enroll yourself in a hawza and start studying what they have studied in order to get complete knowledge of that which they have spoken about.

2 hours ago, notme said:

Why are some questions and answers on the website, then? Why not publish all questions, so that others can benefit? 

Perhaps some of the questions are of a more personal nature, did you consider that?

7 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Most definitely not.

What your asking for is not what you would get from a doctor either. They will not sit down and open book pages for you to read regarding what they have told you. And they will not change their diagnosis just because you don’t agree with it.

I don’t know what doctors you have visited. 

If my doctor can't take the time to deal with each patient as a person, I'll go see a different one. I don't know what doctors you've been to. I'm sorry about your negative experience though. 

10 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

If you want to know how marjaes come up with their fatwas, you are most welcome to go enroll yourself in a hawza and start studying what they have studied in order to get complete knowledge of that which they have spoken about

That's absurd and elitist. Most of us contribute to our society in other ways. If everyone who wanted to understand Islam became a religious scholar, there would be nobody left to teach, build, and feed the masses! 

You really think it's not important to know why we do what we do? That just blows my mind. I can't relate. I can't fathom not caring about why. 

14 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

Perhaps some of the questions are of a more personal nature, did you consider that?

Obviously there would be exceptions, but that doesn't invalidate my point. 

1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

Ignorance at it's finest. Doctors do that, it's part of the job. If they didn't it, they could be sued for medical negligence, malpractice or misdiagnosing people.  People have died from doctors who didn't care or thought they knew everything.

1 hour ago, notme said:
hour ago, IbnSina said:

If you want to know how marjaes come up with their fatwas, you are most welcome to go enroll yourself in a hawza and start studying what they have studied in order to get complete knowledge of that which they have spoken about

I'd gladly take you up on the offer but I agree with Notme that it's not feasible for everyone to go to hawza; We have contribute to society in other ways as she said.

1 hour ago, notme said:
1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

Nothing is too personal, there are fatwas on sex and menses. So no, I don't buy that excuse

9 hours ago, starlight said:

Salam everyone,

I have been looking at other marjas to follow

Salam. Some do not allow their followers to leave and follow someone else without permission. For example, you could ask Ayatullah Sistani (HA) if he would allow you to follow Ayatullah Khamenei (HA). If he agrees to that, he would allow you. I don't think he would allow you to stop doing taqlid (taqleed). 

44 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Salam. Some do not allow their followers to leave and follow someone else without permission. For example, you could ask Ayatullah Sistani (HA) if he would allow you to follow Ayatullah Khamenei (HA). If he agrees to that, he would allow you. I don't think he would allow you to stop doing taqlid (taqleed). 

Absolutely no proof from qur'an and sunnah for that.

21 minutes ago, Quran313 said:

Imam Zaman to Ishaq Ibn Yaqoub: "In the time of absence, refer to people who are knowledgeable in religion"

Give me the exact hadith.

14 minutes ago, aaljibar said:

Give me the exact hadith.

"و اما الحوادث الواقعه فارجعوا فیها الی رواه حدیثنا فانهم حجتی علیکم و انا حجه الله علیهم"

Reference:

الحر العاملی , محمد بن الحسن , وسائل الشیعه , تهران : مکتبه الاسلامیه ,ج۱۸, ص ۱۰۱

Volume 18, Page 101 of وسایل الشیعه

First line is the Arabic Hadeeth and I read that in my religion book when I was at high school in Iran. It says: "Refer to our رواه حدیثنا in current events. They are my Hojat on you and I'm Allah's Hojat on them (I don't know how to translate حجت and رواه حدیثنا, but I think you know the meaning)". My book said that this Hadeeth means to not only follow religious scholars in personal affairs (jurisprudence), but also it has some indication on the necessity of Vilayat Faqih on social, political, etc.

BTW, there's no problem with someone following his/her own knowledge. He/She only needs to spend a lot of time (15-20 years) to study religion and become a knowledgeable Adel Faqih. We have Faqih people who do not follow anyone because they are knowledgeable and Adel enough to derive Fiqhi rules from religious sources, but these people are very few.

to be honest @notme, all you need is Arabic and you can basically research all the fatwas. The books that explain the way these fatwas were derived, and the textual sources that are used (I.e hadiths) are basically all available online. In Arabic. 

Unfortunately very little is in English.

7 hours ago, Flying_Eagle said:

Taqlid is necessary is not because for a political reason but for your own benefit. 

Of course, I understand that.

7 hours ago, Flying_Eagle said:

Taqleed is for you that you may build contacts with scholars 

Exactly! And how easy/difficult is it to get in contact with any of the senior scholars these days?

7 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

many of the general rules are available online so I guess that would be how I justify having a Marja

That's how I am doing it too but with time I feel I am having to use more and more of my own judgement so technically is that still 'following' a marja? Donno.

6 hours ago, Haydar Husayn said:

You’ll still be able to look up the rulings that are publicly available

Yeah, only now I will look rulings of all the marjas and pick one from there. I figured if it has come down to my own judgement I rather use it for picking a ruling than deciding something entirely on my own.

6 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Since when did feeling have anything to do with taqleed?

Lets all be our own marjaees and derive whatever fatwas we feel like based on whats convenient.

Thank you for the helpful answer. 

@IbnSina: Taqleed is not blind obedience. The fact that you’d think it to be so is ignorant and ludicrous.

I can’t believe you’re suggesting that everyone should blindly follow fallible people on every little issue.