Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Islandsandmirrors

The Christian Concept of Modesty is Not Different from Islam

Rate this topic

On 6/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, ChristianVisitor said:

We both abhor how secular culture has hyper-sexualized everything and created a society of moral chaos and anarchy. 

This has me churning... as my grandchildren grow up under a rainbow flag.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:40 AM, Son of Placid said:

Where's the puke emo?

On 6/18/2019 at 2:33 PM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Thoughts? 

No, our way is goes beyond modesty. It's a way of life, not just being modest in church or simply obeying the New Testament.

Another major difference, in Islam, the modesty may be informed by culture more intensely than say Christianity. I don't really see culture playing a huge role in Christianity. Unless you were in an Syrian or African church.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:40 AM, Son of Placid said:

It's entirely correct, in my opinion, how you say that in reply to a post mentioning sexualisation. Because, in effect, both the symbol you refer to and the introduction of sexuality into the public realm (including that of children's education) are part of the same phenomenon.

Edited by Haji 2003

On 6/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Thoughts? 

Its nice to hear something similar to modesty in Islam is there in Christianity. :book:

“And Isaac went out to meditate in the field in the evening; and he lifted his eyes and looked, and there, the camels were coming. (63)

and Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel, (64)

for she had said to the servant, “Who is this man walking in the field to meet us?” The servant said, “It is my master.” So she took a veil and covered herself. (65)”

“Take millstones and grind flour; take off your veil. Lift up your skirts, bare your legs, and wade through the streams.” (47:2)

Surprisingly, in the Arabic translation, the word “veil” had been translated as, “nīqāb.”

“How beautiful you are, my darling!
Oh, how beautiful!
Your eyes behind your veil are doves.” (Song of Songs, 4:1)

“Now Susanna was a woman of great refinement and beautiful in appearance. (31) As she was veiled, the scoundrels ordered her to be unveiled, so that they might feast their eyes on her beauty. (32) Those who were with her and all who saw her were weeping.” (33)

“But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. (5) For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.” (6)

“Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?” (13)

“I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes.” (2:9)

And many more evidence from the Bible for modesty.

Edited by Simon the Canaanite

On June 18, 2019 at 9:34 PM, ChristianVisitor said:

Conservative Bible-believing Christians agree with mainstream Muslims on many things regarding modesty and purity: we abhor fornication, adultery, incest, etc. We believe that sexual unions should only take place between a husband and wife. We also believe that Christian women should dress modestly with decent clothes and not showing too much skin. We abhor the secular view of how everything should be flaunted and anything pretty much goes at the whim of oneself. 

There many things that conservative Christians and conservative Muslims believe about modesty and ethics (regardless of denomination). We both abhor how secular culture has hyper-sexualized everything and created a society of moral chaos and anarchy. 

You've apparently never seen too many illuminated manuscripts from the Middle Ages. Or statues in Europe. Especially Greece. Lots of naked people everywhere. When I first went there it took some getting used to.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

On July 30, 2019 at 1:59 PM, Haji 2003 said:

It's entirely correct, in my opinion, how you say that in reply to a post mentioning sexualisation. Because, in effect, both the symbol you refer to and the introduction of sexuality into the public realm (including that of children's education) are part of the same phenomenon.

The only thing about" sex " in our local primary schools was regarding preventing child molestation, as I recall. Sex education ( basic human reproduction) started in junior high...6th grade or later, was segregated by gender at that point, and it was entirely voluntary.  

10 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

You've apparently never seen too many illuminated manuscripts from the Middle Ages. Or statues in Europe. Especially Greece. Lots of naked people everywhere. When I first went there it took some getting used to.

Hi all of these are imaginary works or created by order of people that were seeking pleasure in private but it becomes public now & Greece staues mostly created from it's pre Christian culture like as Helenism & other.

On 9/8/2019 at 5:52 PM, LeftCoastMom said:

The only thing about" sex " in our local primary schools was regarding preventing child molestation, as I recall. Sex education ( basic human reproduction) started in junior high...6th grade or later, was segregated by gender at that point, and it was entirely voluntary.  

Not sure what's being taught these days. We're having big GSA protests because students want to keep their sexuality a secret from their parents yet want to flaunt it at school. Our new Alberta Premier would rather the teachers stick to the curriculum. LGBTQ parades everywhere. Used to be gay parades but they want to be all inclusive, but not a cop, nor straight...The Toronto parade this year included two dozen people marching stark naked. This is getting totally out of hand. A child, 5 yrs old, can decide what sex they want to be and all "professionals" are behind it, and if you argue you can be charged. Can you imagine a B.C. minister calls a thing a biological male, gets sued for $80,000. Blatant evil on the rise up here.