Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Aragaia

Dancing among women is haram

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

I mean based on what religious ruling; Qur'an, hadith.

I’ve never read any Hadith that says dancing is haram, I think I will ask professional people.

4 minutes ago, Diaz said:

I’ve never read any Hadith that says dancing is haram, I think I will ask professional people.

According Sistani:

Question: Is it permissible for women to dance in front of other women or for men to dance in front of other men in a gender-wise segregated gathering?

Answer: Dancing of women in front of women or dancing of men in front of other men is problematic, as a matter of obligatory precaution, one must refrain from it.

17 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

According Sistani:

Question: Is it permissible for women to dance in front of other women or for men to dance in front of other men in a gender-wise segregated gathering?

Answer: Dancing of women in front of women or dancing of men in front of other men is problematic, as a matter of obligatory precaution, one must refrain from it.

What does he base it on? They're not just there to tell you what to do. They're there to teach you to know why you do what you do. But nobody cares.

22 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

What does he base it on? They're not just there to tell you what to do. They're there to teach you to know why you do what you do. But nobody cares.

I did not address it to you.

4 hours ago, Aragaia said:

Is this another homophobic rule?

Preventing gay attraction and actions from happening is homophobic now? (If that is/was the reason for this ruling)

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

I remember some Salafi scholars giving the reasoning that one of the girls there could take pictures and/or videos of the dancing or non hijab dressing and show it to men (and other women that you didn't want them to know your whereabouts, for example).

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

4 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Preventing gay attraction and actions from happening is homophobic now? (If that is/was the reason for this ruling)

Kind of. Its against common sense. (if you mean the people aren't gay "already").

Just now, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

I remember some Salafi scholars giving the reasoning that one of the girls there could take pictures and/or videos of the dancing or non hijab dressing and show it to others, including men.

Naturally a girl should know her company. Basically a crime anyway. Someone could have a hidden camera in a locker room as well. But does that mean women are prohibited from entering locker rooms? What about public toilets?

50 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

Kind of. Its against common sense. (if you mean the people aren't gay "already").

Even if you don't normally have a gay preference, you can fall into lust or sexual immorality with people of the same sex. Women do this all the time.

Basically a crime anyway. Someone could have a hidden camera in a locker room as well. But does that mean women are prohibited from entering locker rooms? What about public toilets?

It's not a crime... cameras hidden in change rooms and toilets are illegal because they violet privacy laws in a public space. Typically a homeowner can film on their own private property. Also, the context is totally different. One looks like intentional 'immorality' with friends, the other looks like a violation and looks worse on whoever was filming. Regardless, I never said I agreed with it... I even said it was a Salafi position.

Naturally a girl should know her company.

Don't think that you know your company too well... the traditions are clear on this. Downplay yourself, avoid evil eye, make dua for Allah's protection, don't reveal too much private info etc.

6 hours ago, Aragaia said:

Is this another homophobic rule? 

How is this even homophobic? If any, I believe there is lack of attention, advice and warnings to the risks we face that could lead us to sin. So if this was precisely thinking in gays, lesbians and bisexuals, I find it rather a rule that is affirmative and conscious of the existence of such attractions and warning against the lust we may face (beyond straight lustful interactions that could take place between non-mahrams). And consciousness is precisely one good step against homophobia.

The word "homophobia" should carefully be reserved to what truly is homophobic, backed by known facts and testimonies. An individual and personal religious rule like this, warning against sin, isn't homophobic in any way or shape.

Now, I agree there is much more to dancing compared to what has been implied in this thread, and it indeed has an artistic and cultural dimension that has not been talked about.

Edited by Bakir

I have an additional bit of information to share... if it is helpful. If I recall correctly, Sunnis commonly explain that the Sahaba would lower their gaze when looking at men without a beard / shaved beard. (Sunnis often discuss how the sahaba were afraid of falling lustful for youthful looking men). Which is one of their arguments for not shaving the beard.

Shias probably have similar narrations.

3 hours ago, Aragaia said:

It is not the jurists job to teach you how/why they derive(d) their ruling(s). Deriving rulings requires in-depth, multifaceted knowledge. It's not easy to explain a verdict... unless they were to make several full-length books for each fatwa. Simply put, my opinion and your opinion does not matter.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy