Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello and thank you for accepting me here. I find myself in a different situation for myself and hope that I can find guidance here. 

I have met a Shia man who has caught my interest  (which is very difficult to achieve!). He is funny, intelligent,  attractive and patient. The feeling is mutual. we have known each other for quite some time and the feelings are becoming intense. My question is this: is marriage possible between a Shia and a non-Muslim? Please be kind in your response...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, InterestedParty said:

Hello and thank you for accepting me here. I find myself in a different situation for myself and hope that I can find guidance here. 

I have met a Shia man who has caught my interest  (which is very difficult to achieve!). He is funny, intelligent,  attractive and patient. The feeling is mutual. we have known each other for quite some time and the feelings are becoming intense. My question is this: is marriage possible between a Shia and a non-Muslim? Please be kind in your response...

Salam aleykoum,

I suppose you are a non Muslim woman ? it is not very clear here. 

A Shia Muslim man could marry some non Muslim women. These women could be Christian, Jew and according to some opinion zoroastrians and thats it. A Shia Muslim man can’t marry a polytheist, a deist, an agnostic, an atheist etc. However most Shia marjas (Shia religious scholars) think that such marriages must be only in form of mutah and not nikah (wich mean such marriages must be temporary and not definitive) and the non Muslim wife is encouraged to gradually convert to Islam or at least she must not encourage his children to be non Muslim.

A Shia Muslim woman is supposed to only marry a Muslim man ( I am not sure she is allowed to marry a Sunni man, I think this is allowed but not encouraged). 

I hope I answered your question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Valor

If the woman worships Allah, then I think it's allowed (many people call themselves Christians or Jews but don't worship Allah so it's invalid in this case). Although not recommended due to the complications that will come later in life. 

PS - Asking a scholar or Sheikh is the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

Salam aleykoum,

I suppose you are a non Muslim woman ? it is not very clear here. 

A Shia Muslim man could marry some non Muslim women. These women could be Christian, Jew and according to some opinion zoroastrians and thats it. A Shia Muslim man can’t marry a polytheist, a deist, an agnostic, an atheist etc. However most Shia marjas (Shia religious scholars) think that such marriages must be only in form of mutah and not nikah (wich mean such marriages must be temporary and not definitive) and the non Muslim wife is encouraged to gradually convert to Islam or at least she must not encourage his children to be non Muslim.

A Shia Muslim woman is supposed to only marry a Muslim man ( I am not sure she is allowed to marry a Sunni man, I think this is allowed but not encouraged). 

I hope I answered your question. 

I am a non-Muslim female. We are both of an age too old to have children together. Even if we could have children I would encourage them to follow their father in all things. I am not a typical Western woman. I am far more reserved in all ways. I have spent most of my life in the East so my thoughts are more Eastern when it comes to family and spirituality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Guest Valor said:

If the woman worships Allah, then I think it's allowed (many people call themselves Christians or Jews but don't worship Allah so it's invalid in this case). Although not recommended due to the complications that will come later in life. 

PS - Asking a scholar or Sheikh is the way to go.

This is not true. A monotheist if he is not part of ahl hul kitab can’t marry a Muslim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Valor
29 minutes ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

This is not true. A monotheist if he is not part of ahl hul kitab can’t marry a Muslim.

True. That's why I included them between the brackets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  
13 hours ago, InterestedParty said:

Hello and thank you for accepting me here. I find myself in a different situation for myself and hope that I can find guidance here. 

I have met a Shia man who has caught my interest  (which is very difficult to achieve!). He is funny, intelligent,  attractive and patient. The feeling is mutual. we have known each other for quite some time and the feelings are becoming intense. My question is this: is marriage possible between a Shia and a non-Muslim? Please be kind in your response...

Salam,

Insha Allah khair for you sister,

Islamically you are allowed to marry someone from  Ahlul Kitab (people of the Book) - Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians. However some scholars don't recommend it because there is a major risk where the couple might later face issues throughout their marriage especially when it comes to the upbringing of children. Have you both discussed about any of these? Because I feel like you and him are just scratching the surface. There is a lot to consider if you're planning to marry him, especially the reaction of both his parents and yours, how will you two settle, and how will you both deal with raising the kids, etc. I do not know if you have discussed these things yet, but if youse have not, its best to discuss them now. And make sure whether he is actually serious about it and wants to make a commitment to this marriage, and I will advise you that it can be very difficult, especially coming from a different religion. Be sure to be mentally prepared because you and him are going to face a lot of challenges and obstacles in the way that will affect the both of you. I'm just warning you sister, but I wish the best for you and him

fee amanillah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, InterestedParty said:

I am a non-Muslim female. We are both of an age too old to have children together. Even if we could have children I would encourage them to follow their father in all things. I am not a typical Western woman. I am far more reserved in all ways. I have spent most of my life in the East so my thoughts are more Eastern when it comes to family and spirituality. 

If I could permit a question what is your religion? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:
  •  

Salam,

Insha Allah khair for you sister,

Islamically you are allowed to marry someone from  Ahlul Kitab (people of the Book) - Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians. However some scholars don't recommend it because there is a major risk where the couple might later face issues throughout their marriage especially when it comes to the upbringing of children. Have you both discussed about any of these? Because I feel like you and him are just scratching the surface. There is a lot to consider if you're planning to marry him, especially the reaction of both his parents and yours, how will you two settle, and how will you both deal with raising the kids, etc. I do not know if you have discussed these things yet, but if youse have not, its best to discuss them now. And make sure whether he is actually serious about it and wants to make a commitment to this marriage, and I will advise you that it can be very difficult, especially coming from a different religion. Be sure to be mentally prepared because you and him are going to face a lot of challenges and obstacles in the way that will affect the both of you. I'm just warning you sister, but I wish the best for you and him

fee amanillah

Thank you for your well wishes. I am beyond child bearing age. We both have children from previous marriages but they are adults themselves. I now have a granddaughter lol. Our parents are all deceased. We have no one to answer to except ourselves and God. I say I am Christian but that is in flux. My beliefs are I definitely believe in the Abrahamic God but I tend to see Jesus as a great man and Prophet but that there are also many other Prophets and great men that we should heed. Wisdom is wisdom so long as it doesn't stray from God. I tend to stay within the lines of service to others and keep my heart and thoughts pure and reflect on how God would have me handle each situation as it arises. I am highly educated with 3 degrees; Master of psychology; bachelors in history and religious philosophy so my views tend to be more toward understanding how spirituality affects humans in each situation. I hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quran313 said:

Why don’t you talk to him about your concerns? You can start a Halal relationship with him.

Also feel freen to ask him about Islam. 

What is a halal relationship with a potential spouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...