Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Isaam

Was Imam Ja’afar as Sadiq Sunni or Shia?

Rate this topic

I was reading that Imam Ja’afar Sadiq (عليه السلام) was Related to Abu Bakr. I was reading on IslamQA (which is more of a wahabi website that calls themselves Sunni) that he didn’t approve of Shia’s and was a Sunni himself. Was he a Sunni or Shi’a? And if he was a Sunni did he disprove of Shi’a?

There are a lot of contradictory narrations both ways which represents both schools trying to claim the personality for themselves. Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq was happy to guide the Shiah which shows he approved of them. I believe Imam Ja'far believed in the Imamate of 'Ali otherwise why would he guide the Shiah? His predecessor Imam al Baqir was also actively outspoken against the Umayyads such as Muawiyah and 'Amr ibn al-As, so I am sure Ja'far was aware of these matters. I doubt Imam Ja'far would of been singing the praises of people like Muawiyah who oppressed his grandfather 'Ali like the people of IslamQA..

In truth though I think the Imams were above such names and followed Islam wholeheartedly and wanted their followers to do the same.

Edited by ali47

I believe he would have been a Shi'a, as in he followed the view of Ali's legitimate place as caliph. Though it is true that he taught people who became important figures in the Sunni schools. He is Sunni in the way he follows the Sunnah of the Prophet, not in the way people call themselves Sunni today.

23 minutes ago, Isaam said:

I was reading that Imam Ja’afar Sadiq (عليه السلام) was Related to Abu Bakr. I was reading on IslamQA (which is more of a wahabi website that calls themselves Sunni) that he didn’t approve of Shia’s and was a Sunni himself. Was he a Sunni or Shi’a? And if he was a Sunni did he disprove of Shi’a?

And Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr (رضي الله عنه) (son of Abu Bakr) was a Shiat Ali, practically became his adopted son. Even fought as a commander in the Battle of Jamal in opposing sides to his sister Ayesha.

Imam Jafar al Sadiq's great grandfather was Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr.

32 minutes ago, Isaam said:

He is an Imam, both Shias and Sunnis believe and respect him but he believed in 12 Imams as Shias do and did not believe in 3 Caliphs like our Sunni brothers but his one disciple Imam Abu Hanifah who is pioneer of Hanafi fiqh in Sunni Islam was his disciple and later differed from his views.

Edited by Flying_Eagle

20 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

I believe he would have been a Shi'a, as in he followed the view of Ali's legitimate place as caliph. Though it is true that he taught people who became important figures in the Sunni schools. He is Sunni in the way he follows the Sunnah of the Prophet, not in the way people call themselves Sunni today.

Aren’t Shia’s also suppose to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet and Ahlul Bayt?

40 minutes ago, Isaam said:

Imam was Shia and the govt of the time was oppressive.

Edited by Rohani

6 minutes ago, Rohani said:

I am related to some Catholics I am a shoa Muslim. Imam (عليه السلام) was Shia and the govt of the time was oppressive.

Yeh, he is Shia and Sunni of Muhammad PBUHHP and our Khalifah. about whom Prophet pbuhhp said that he will open seas of knowledge. 

40 minutes ago, Isaam said:

I believe there wasn't a clear-cut Sunni-Shia distinction at his time. He was a Muslim.

If being Sunni means aspiring to follow the Sunnah of the Prophet, peace be upon him, then all Muslims are Sunni; and if being Shia means loving and revering the family of the Prophet, then all Muslims are Shia.  

Ask IslamQA how many Imams they have ? they will say 4 but Imam Sadiq was our 6th Imam and he claimed it and we agreed to it, Sunni brothers accept his disciple as Hazrat Abu Hanifah as Imam, but do not call him Imam, so tell me who is near to Imam Jafar al Sadiq ?

@Issam also do ask IslamQA, if Imam Jafar al Sadiq is Sunni like them, why aren't there so many hadith in Sahih Bukhari and other Hadith books ? while he was grandson of Prophet PBUHHP and near to him and also ask them why is that Imam Jafar al Sadiq believed in 12 Imams which is in your own books also but you deny 12 Imams ? So, if you have such contradiction with him, how do you consider him to be believer like you ?