Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
musa shakr

can you write your own certificate of conversion?

Rate this topic

I read hear https://www.dawahmaterials.com/new-Muslim-support/58-how-to-obtain-a-shahada-certificate that you can type your own certificate of conversion and have it notarized. I want it for my personal records and would like it to function as an official document for marriage and Hajj. There is no mousqe in the area if I can't write one myself can I get one online somewhere? 

9 hours ago, Aragaia said:

I thought it said the typing yourself in case of death/burial.

Doubt you can have it online. I would call the nearest mosque. Or travel some.

It is recommended to get one for a few reasons.

Hajj – Only Muslims are allowed to enter Mecca. They require visitors to the city to provide documentation that identifies their faith when entering.

Marriage – Muslim men are permitted to marry only Muslim, Christian, or Jewish women. Women are only permitted to marry another Muslim, so if you are a male, you will need to provide proof that you converted before you will be allowed to marry a Muslim woman. It is strictly forbidden for both men and women to marry Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, Jains, Agnostics, Pagans, and others.

Death – If you die, you need to be buried according to the Islamic burial process, and have the funeral rights given to you, such as the proper preparation of your body for burial, the janazah prayer offered by the Muslim community over your body, then to be buried according to Islamic guidelines that are not fulfilled by non-Muslims. It is important for a few people in your family, local Muslim community, friends, and the local Imam to have a copy of your certificate in case such a need arises. Non-Muslim family members may not know where to go or what to do, and may just bury you as a non-Muslim would be buried, or worse, cremated which is forbidden."

The nearest mosque is in another town and I don't own a vehicle. I think I'm going to have to wait . I need a passport so I have a passport number to add to the certificate, that takes 3 months to get In the United States.

I never needed one for marriage, the rest I would suppose you need one. 

With pilgrimage I don't really get what the authorities are looking for, why not extend the certificate to everyone? Do they assume that people with Islamic or Arabic names are Muslims? That people with other names are more likely to cause trouble? Not forgetting it was a person with an Islamic name that last caused havoc there.

16 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

I never needed one for marriage, the rest I would suppose you need one. 

With pilgrimage I don't really get what the authorities are looking for, why not extend the certificate to everyone? Do they assume that people with Islamic or Arabic names are Muslims? That people with other names are more likely to cause trouble? Not forgetting it was a person with an Islamic name that last caused havoc there.

They have check points where they check and interview anyone of whom they have doubts. So if you're missing the certificate your Hajj or Umrah might not come to be.

52 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

They have check points where they check and interview anyone of whom they have doubts. So if you're missing the certificate your Hajj or Umrah might not come to be.

Oh I see, so it's not like one border pass sort of thing? Interesting to know.