Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Public service announcement re: The latest Disney flick

Rate this topic

LeftCoastMom

• Advanced Member

My daughter went with some friends to see " Aladdin".  We live in a one-horse town and it was the only thing playing. She still would probably have avoided it like the plague except she was apparently desperate and needed to have some me- time with her female friends due to the fact that my  toddler grandson has been fussing at her in three languages as well as refining his gross motor skills by seeing if he can hit the cat with any number of his food items.  

This is one of the reasons God made grandparents.

So we take the little tyke ( who falls asleep like a little angel as soon as he gets here) and off she goes. Comes stomping back in a few hours later saying she needs to "lock her husband up for the summer" because " Do you remember when everyone got Dalmatian puppies after '101 Dalmatians'"'? 

So I was understandably confused . I haven't seen the movie. Why does SG need to get locked up because of spotty dogs?

DD says that Disney, in spite of all the usual stereotyping and cultural misplacements ( it's Disney...they do a " fantastic" job on representation and research...every time!), had made an effort to get actors from some regions and ethnicities  somewhere in the ballpark of  the actual story...sort of. So guess what happened was Aladdin was " totes cute "and so were all the other middle eastern / North African guys in the film,even the extras. Even " Jafar" was " hot", according to her girlfriends.  There was apparently so much male ME/NA eye candy on screen that she thinks  the market value on guys of those ethnicities is going up.

So her advice is any of you single gentlemen of that ilk might want to get off this continent now if you have the chance. You've been warned.  

Lol.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Isaam said:

Is it me or does anyone else’s grandparents treat you better than your parents? LOL

My grandparents were wonderful. I miss them. Hope we will do right by our grandkids. However, I have to say I think my daughter and son-in-law are excellent parents. They really love their little boy...even if he did peg the cat with the biscuits.

• Advanced Member
40 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

My grandparents were wonderful. I miss them. Hope we will do right by our grandkids. However, I have to say I think my daughter and son-in-law are excellent parents. They really love their little boy...even if he did peg the cat with the biscuits.

I still have my grandparents. Over the years they seem so weared out. Even as a teenager you realize that once everyone you love goes, there is nothing really left to live for. That’s why we believe Life is a test and a trial, and those who do good shall get rewarded. Just got to stay positive and always hope and pray for the best.

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Take this as my latest prediction, one day we will have a Muslim superhero in Hollywood.

All it takes is time.

3 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^Sorry.... I'm not really into Superhero movies...they don't have one already? 

these type of superheroes crated in comic books but not yet appeared in Hollywood  movies but these type of heroes are based on stereotyping & don't represent Islamical except in their name & skin color & country of origin only "the 99" comic based on Islamic values but it just focused on Sunnis not Shias & excluded Shias & dominated countries by them from it .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_99

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

• Moderators
8 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Take this as my latest prediction, one day we will have a Muslim superhero in Hollywood.

All it takes is time.

Ms. Marvel is Muslim Pakistani American, but doesn't have a movie yet. 

• Advanced Member
On 6/15/2019 at 12:52 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Why did they have to choose such a controversial title... I kinda agree with the criticism... like dang they could have easily not named it that! How about "The noor gemstones" or simply "Noor" as the title, and the characters are "The submitters".  I have never seen the comics though.

I mean, I just know someone in the world is reading the Wikipedia page, and thinking 'stupid moslems with their backwards barbaric shakira law'

Critical reception and reviews[edit]

General

The 99 was listed by Forbes as one of the ‘Top 20 Trends Sweeping the Globe’[21] in January 2008. In April 2010, in response to his speech in Cairo titled "A New Beginning", former US President Barack Obama mentioned Dr... Naif Al-Mutawa at the Presidential Summit on Entrepreneurship in Washington, referring to The 99 as “perhaps the most innovative response,” and that “his comic books have captured the imagination of so many young people with superheroes who embody the teachings and tolerance of Islam”.[22] The 99 has been covered by international media outlets including The New York Times,[23] CNN,[24] Newsweek,[25] BBC,[26] and The Washington Post.[27]

Controversies

In a religious decree carried by Saudi websites, the clerics ruled the series blasphemous because the superheroes of its title are based on the 99 attributes ascribed to Allah in the Qur'an. The Grand Mufti Abdulaziz al-Sheikh, head of the Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Issuing Fatwas, said "The 99 is a work of the devil that should be condemned and forbidden in respect to Allah's names and attributes." The original comic strip version, first released in 2006, had already run into opposition from Muslims not only in Saudi Arabia but also in neighboring Kuwait.[28]

The fatwa arose when Al-Mutawa was sued by a Kuwaiti civilian for blasphemy in a court of law in Kuwait in 2014. Al-Mutawa fought the case and won. There was an appeal in 2015 which he won as well.[3][29]

Andrea Peyser, columnist at the New York Post, wrote in October 2010: "Hide your face and grab the kids. Coming soon to a TV in your child's bedroom is a posse of righteous, Sharia-compliant Muslim superheroes, including one who fights crime hidden head-to-toe by a burqa."[30]

On July 2, 2014, The Kuwait Times reported that ISIL members had issued death threats and offered unspecified rewards for the assassination of Dr... Al-Mutawa, via Twitter. Al-Mutawa defended the work saying that he had received clearance from sharia scholars and never would have gone ahead with the project had he not.[31]

'Look see how violent they are! I knew they were all practicing teqila! It's so obvious"

Regardless, it is not a good presentation of Islam. It sounds like shirk and presents Islam inaccurately to the world. 99 names/attributes of Allah is already such a misunderstood concept by the world. A month ago, when you would search 'how many Gods do Muslims believe in?' into google, Google would give the response: "99".

On 6/15/2019 at 12:52 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

but it just focused on Sunnis not Shias & excluded Shias & dominated countries by them from it .

Also, they have a character from Hungary, but they couldn't have a character from Iran? How many Muslims are in Hungary? It's absolutely ridiculous. Unless they were focused on the poor treatment and hostility towards Muslims and immigrants by V4 Central Europeans [PL, CZ, SK, HU], then this doesn't make any sense.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy