Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Brother

An incident that happen to me this week.

Rate this topic

Guest Brother

So, basically a friend of mine from the uni invited me to dinner at his place and I obviously accepted the invitation. This individual is (at least apparently) a very kind individual. We've gotten particularly close because of the fact that we share similar interests in philosophy, religion, and other sciences. We've known each other less than a year. He is an atheist (I believe), he doesn't believe in the Abrahamic religions or any religions for that matter (he believes they are socially constructed superstitions made by philosophers of their times in order to maintain a society or gain power or whatever the reason might be). He comes from a Muslim (Sunni) family but left religion years ago. 

Essentially what I was concerned about was the permissibility of eating the food of the unbelievers or atheists. I unfortunately remembered this hukm quite late (literally while he was making the food right in front of me), and felt that coming up with an excuse about not being able to eat or having to be somewhere else was very difficult and awkward at that time... 

Well I ended up eating his food, although I tried to eat as little as possible (he is a vegetarian, so we ate some vegan food so no meat whatsoever, obv). 

Obviously I need to do tawba and be more attentive when it comes to these matters in the future, but still, what are your thoughts? Did I make a mistake by not coming up with some kind of an excuse, but rather ate his food although he is an atheist and he made the food with his wet hands (no gloves). Should I fast in order to cleanse myself?

Jazakum Allah.

PS. The reason why I am friends with this person is in hopes that I could one day influence him with my akhlaaq or perhaps an argument that would maybe cause his hidayat insha Allah t'aala. 

Guest Brother
38 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Did you see him touching the vegetables or any other ingredient with wet hands?

2 hours ago, Guest Brother said:

he made the food with his wet hands (no gloves)

1 hour ago, Aragaia said:

That is halal. You did right, it would be wrong to refuse.

According to whom? I've read many maraaji's fatwas on this matter and all of them say that unbelievers are najis and if they make the food or touch it with their wet hands it is haram to eat that. 

3 hours ago, Guest Brother said:

According to whom? I've read many maraaji's fatwas on this matter and all of them say that unbelievers are najis and if they make the food or touch it with their wet hands it is haram to eat that. 

There's all kind of innovators out there. It's common sense. And also supported by a more numerous amount of scholars than what you mentioned. There's purity and there's purity. Imagining the food is haram because someone touched it with wet hands is superstition. Superstition is forbitten in Islam.

do you think the "unbeliever" is going to covert to Islam when he hears a Muslim can't eat his food because he touched it? Dod you think Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wassallam) rejected /would have rejected food from someone just because they touched it?

46 minutes ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

So what does it mean. Please share your knowledge with us. 

Purity of the heart mostly. Of course hygiene is important. That why the sunnah. But a disbeliever does not posses any particular impurity, usually, when well washed and brushed.

4 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

Purity of the heart mostly. Of course hygiene is important. That why the sunnah. But a disbeliever does not posses any particular impurity, usually, when well washed and brushed.

Your idea is completely wrong ,Holy Qur'an clearly says we only can from food of people of book & Muslims , any wet contact by an unbleiver to anything make everything Najis specially food because of this rulling wahhbist/Salafis  say people must not eat from food of Shias although we are Muslims but they don't have problem eating impure food of unbleivers like as atheists.

1 minute ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Your idea is completely wrong ,Holy Qur'an clearly says we only can from food of people of book & Muslims , any wet contact by an unbleiver to anything make everything Najis specially food because of this rulling wahhbist/Salafis  say people must not eat from food of Shias although we are Muslims but they don't have problem eating impure food of unbleivers like as atheists.

Yeah? Where does it say so?

5 hours ago, Guest Brother said:

Should I fast in order to cleanse myself?

Salam you don't need to do anything because after swalowing food it's impurity removes but next time you must just consume food that you are sure that not touched by wet hands or make a excuse or just go for visiting not eating 

3 hours ago, Guest Brother said:

This brother is Sunni, although he might mean well, I don’t know why he would reply to a question regarding Shia fiqh to begin with.

7 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

Yeah? Where does it say so?

Today all the good things have been made lawful to you—the food of those who were given the Book is lawful to you, and your food is lawful to them—and the chaste ones from among faithful women, and chaste women of those who were given the Book before you, when you have given them their dowries, in wedlock, not in license, nor taking paramours. Should anyone renounce his faith, his work shall fail and he will be among the losers in the Hereafter. (5

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/5:5

by Shia definition from Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) their food is only foods that doesn't contain meat but if we see that before slaughtering they used name of God we can consume that meat but if they don't say the word it's not premisible to consume that meat 

7 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

This brother is Sunni, although he might mean well, I don’t know why he would reply to a question regarding Shia fiqh to begin with.

Sunnis are considering wider range in Halal food than Shias & consider some foods halal that is not halal by Shia fiqh but Wahhabi St/Salafist spreads this idea between them that they can't consume Shia food.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

17 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Today all the good things have been made lawful to you—the food of those who were given the Book is lawful to you, and your food is lawful to them—and the chaste ones from among faithful women, and chaste women of those who were given the Book before you, when you have given them their dowries, in wedlock, not in license, nor taking paramours. Should anyone renounce his faith, his work shall fail and he will be among the losers in the Hereafter. (5

http://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/5:5

by Shia definition from Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) their food is only foods that doesn't contain meat but if we see that before slaughtering they used name of God we can consume that meat but if they don't say the word it's not premisible to consume that meat 

This does not say that the food of unbelievers is unlawful.

46 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam you don't need to do anything because after swalowing food it's impurity removes but next time you must just consume food that you are sure that not touched by wet hands or make a excuse or just go for visiting not eating 

Sistani says it's enough if you're not sure if they touched it with wet hands.

42 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Sunnis are considering wider range in Halal food than Shias & consider some foods halal that is not halal by Shia fiqh but Wahhabi St/Salafist spreads this idea between them that they can't consume Shia food.

Any Shia food? Who says that? Some say they can't eat meat if they have reason to believe the person is an  unbeliever. To not eat any food would just be boycotting, no?

Salaam, 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but yes if this other person has touched the vegetables/food with wet hands, then the food is najis. Only food prepared by Muslims and the People of the Book would be tahir I believe. 

However, the brother did not eat the food on purpose. Should he only repent for his mistake? Does anyone else know what else he can do? 

I am not sure about everything else regarding the friendship, but felt like commenting on this matter.

Edited by KnowledgeSeeker36

7 hours ago, Aragaia said:

Salam ithink that you asked about food of people of book but it's claear that food that prepared by universals & touched by their wet hands even be from halal food will be impure & if slaughter a halal cattle ,the consumption of that meat is not permissible for Muslims.

6 hours ago, Aragaia said:

Any Shia food? Who says that? Some say they can't eat meat if they have reason to believe the person is an  unbeliever. To not eat any food would just be boycotting, no?

they consider Shias as unbelievers for 1400 years Shias & Sunnis were using foods of each other but after advent of Wahabists/Salafis , they started spreading this false idea that Shias are unbelievers & Sunnis must not consume their food already in KSA they don't allow a Shia slaughter any halal cattle & they say it in their channels in response of answers clearly that Sunnis must don't consume any food that prepared by a Shia 

5 hours ago, KnowledgeSeeker36 said:

Salaam, 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but yes if this other person has touched the vegetables/food with wet hands, then the food is najis. Only food prepared by Muslims and the People of the Book would be tahir I believe. 

However, the brother did not eat the food on purpose. Should he only repent for his mistake? Does anyone else know what else he can do? 

I am not sure about everything else regarding the friendship, but felt like commenting on this matter.

Salam your conclusion is true & he just must repent & don't repeat it again but he can consume halal food that doesn't touched by wet hands of an unbeliever or if they use glove during preparation of Halal food foor example he can drink coffee with him because in process he doesn't touch it.

1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam ithink that you asked about food of people of book but it's claear that food that prepared by universals & touched by their wet hands even be from halal food will be impure & if slaughter a halal cattle ,the consumption of that meat is not permissible for Muslims.

Talking about this verse you quoted. You claimed Muslims according to the Qur'an are allowed only to eat food from the people of the book.

Does this verse you quoted say "only"? Does it make a direct prohibition to the food of those who have no religion (food in general, not meat - we all know the rules about halal meat)?

I have to find references, but Sistani says: assume that others are people of the book, you don't need to ask them, and non-ahlul kitab women and children are not considered najis.

22 hours ago, Aragaia said:

If it does not say it then why does not it mention name of unbelievers along with believers ? Since it mentions believers and people of the book, therefore, it says about them and not about unbelievers.

However, Prophet (PBUHHP) said: "If a believer speaks lie at three places instead of truth, he would indeed be recording good deeds instead of sins namely 1) for praising her wife's food or praise her, 2) for not telling a fellow Muslim brother the sins of his rivals and 3) to lie for the purpose of reconciliation among two Muslim brothers".....

In this context of food, Ayotullah Seestani says: "If you have not seen food to be touched by the unbeliever with the wet hands, you can eat that food and you do not have to ask him whether his hands were wet or not wet while cooking it"....

But, if you can avoid it for the sake of Allah (عزّ وجلّ), it is better....but by not hurting the individual such as saying: "I am on diet"...

1 hour ago, Flying_Eagle said:

If it does not say it then why does not it mention name of unbelievers along with believers ? Since it mentions believers and people of the book, therefore, it says about them and not about unbelievers.

I don't have the authority to question the author of the Qur'an. You are odd asking why it doesn't say this and that. Look at what it does say instead if looking for holes in it.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:49 AM, Aragaia said:

Does this verse you quoted say "only"? Does it make a direct prohibition to the food of those who have no religion (food in general, not meat - we all know the rules about halal meat)?

Salam yes we can't consume food that provided by by who have no religion only food that provided by  Muslims & people of book allowed .

38 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam yes we can't consume food that provided by by who have no religion only food that provided by  Muslims & people of book allowed .

Salam, I asked if this verse says "only" as you insinuated before and does it make a direct prohibition regarding food prepared by people with no religion or a non-abrahamic religion.

4 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

does it make a direct prohibition regarding food prepared by people with no religion or a non-abrahamic religion.

yes

8 hours ago, Aragaia said:

I don't have the authority to question the author of the Qur'an. You are odd asking why it doesn't say this and that. Look at what it does say instead if looking for holes in it.

You would have been right, If Prophet pbuhhp would have depicted what you are saying in his life. There are other verses which say that do not eat something upon whom name of other than Allah عزّ وجلّ has been taken. Now, you can reject what I am saying and life of Prophet PBUHHP showed and what Qur'an says. If Qur'an shows with whom you can eat, it means it is limiting yourself not to sit often except those people, the reason of this is not with the food but their views that are rebellious. I have seen such liberal Muslims who would second your opinion fallen into making girl friends and alcohol and who are termed as liberals. There are also limitations for kindness, would you rather like person to chop your head off if he makes you such request by saying that only by your head he would find tranquility lolz.

22 minutes ago, Aragaia said:

Which word indicates that?

Salam , it's very clear when it says what is lawful so opposite of will be unlawful that opposite of people of Book is unbeliever because with people of book all distortion in their religion believe in oneness of Allah/God & unbeliever & what produces through him specially  food is impure that everything comes from unbeliever & can transfer his/her wetness even it's not recognizable is impure.

لْيَوْمَ أُحِلَّ لَكُمُ الطَّيِّبَاتُ ۖ وَطَعَامُ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ حِلٌّ لَّكُمْ وَطَعَامُكُمْ حِلٌّ لَّهُمْ

Today all the good things have been made lawful to you—the food of those who were given the Book is lawful to you, and your food is lawfu l to them

http://tanzil.net/#5:5

As per the fatwa of all grand jurists, all non-believers including Hindus are ritually impure. Supreme Leader, grand Ayatollah Khamenei and a few other prominent jurists are of the view that non-Muslims excluding the People of the Book (Christian, Jews, etc.) are impure. Likewise, the animals (sheep, cows, chickens, camels etc.) slaughtered by non-Muslims are impure and haram to eat. Therefore the foodstuffs which are prepared with the meat of an animal which has been slaughtered by them are impure. The position is the same with the food which has been prepared manually and which has certainly come into contact with the moisture of their body. As for the food which does not contain meat or contains meat of halal fish, it is permissible to eat provided that it is prepared either with machine or it has not come into contact with their hands and moisture of their body.

According to the verdicts of Shia jurists, it is not permissible to eat from marine animals anything except fish that has scale. Also, sausage and soya are halal, if they do not contain intoxicating and impure ingredients or haram meat. That is only when they have not come into contact with the body of an unbeliever (kafir) or with the moisture from his body.

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa9776

3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam , it's very clear when it says what is lawful so opposite of will be unlawful that opposite of people of Book is unbeliever because with people of book all distortion in their religion believe in oneness of Allah/God & unbeliever & what produces through him specially  food is impure that everything comes from unbeliever & can transfer his/her wetness even it's not recognizable is impure.

لْيَوْمَ أُحِلَّ لَكُمُ الطَّيِّبَاتُ ۖ وَطَعَامُ الَّذِينَ أُوتُوا الْكِتَابَ حِلٌّ لَّكُمْ وَطَعَامُكُمْ حِلٌّ لَّهُمْ

Today all the good things have been made lawful to you—the food of those who were given the Book is lawful to you, and your food is lawfu l to them

The previous verses speak about what is forbitten. This verse speaks about what is permissable. The purpose of this clause is to remove the unnecessary restrictions among the people of the book. Also the purpose is to change the way of thinking from the way the Christians and the Jews thought.

The people before wanted to know what is lawful. ("they ask thee what is lawful to them" verse 4,) but instead they are guided toward asking what is forbitten because in Islam as a princible if something is not forbitten then it is permissable.

The Qur'an tells us not to make unlawful what Allah has made lawful. And this is very important. Being overly concerned about doing haram so much so that one avoids (and sometimes even denies others) what by all evidence is permissable for them and a gift from Allah, is a sin. We are to make the most of the dunya within the limits of what is permissable.

"all good things have been made lawful to you" is not an indication that the food of the people of the book is automatically good - instead it's a warning. The food of the people of the book is lawful to you, if it is good. The reasons it might not be good have been mentioned in the previous verses.

So in my family I have heard them saying that we shouldn't be saying Salam Alaikum to a Christian because it's a Sin. We can't share food with Shia or eat at their place, I'm from a Sunni background. Don't even drink water in the same glass as Christians. If you want to use a plate or anything used by Christian people you have to wash it three times and read Kalma on it to purify it. And I still do this Kalma ritual. 

But not eating food that's been offered and feeling guilty because you have I think it's extreme. You are friends with that Person. Extremism is not Good. Hate is not Good. Remember humanity above all. Imam Ali (عليه السلام). gave up all his rights to not fight or divide people.

I heard this little tale long time ago.

Hazrat Ibrahim (عليه السلام). had the habit to offer food to travelers. They used to stand on a brigde and wait for any visitor or traveler and take them home to feed them. Once they took a traveler home but before they could offer any food the traveler said that I need to pray and he started praying to the fire. He was a fire worshipper. When Hazrat Ibrahim (عليه السلام). saw this they got very angry and refused to keep that nonbeliever in their house. At the same time Allah sent Angels to Ibrahim (عليه السلام).'s house to tell him that I give food to every creature alive... believer or non believer and you couldn't feed one of my humans this one time because he worshipped fire.

Now this story taught me alot. I take things easily. Just like a wise man once told me that we are prohibited the meat of Pigs but we don't have to hate the animal. Once the Imam of a Mosque covered a shaking Pig into a blanket and the people around started saying what are you doing... they started questioning his religion. 

You should always listen to your heart. If you think that you commited a sin then seek forgiveness. Always seek peace of heart. And if your heart believes that you didn't do anything wrong... You shared food with another human being.

Edited by Ani