Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Use cloth reusable shopping bags and a refillable water/beverage bottle or travel mug.

Make sure the reusable bags are washable. Those nylon bags that are sturdy but not washable are worse than the standard plastic shopping bag. 

When you have a choice of two smaller or one larger plastic package, choose the larger if you can use it and not waste it. 

11 hours ago, IbnSina said:

How old are you man?

What is this "old" rhetoric?

The proper age related word is "can't".

Can't see,

Can't hear,

Can't chew,

Can't run,

Can't sleep,

Can't find anything,

Can't remember,

-and-

Can't tankerous.

Airborne Micro-plastics

Read this link first:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/14/microplastics-found-at-profuse-levels-in-snow-from-arctic-to-alps-contamination 

So now we know with certainty that microplastics are Seabed-to-Sky contaminates.

OPINE: l do not of anyone who anticipated that plastics would be these global health hazards. In the 70s they were embraced by environmentalists as a way to protect the environment -fewer trees used, farmland used for food rather than fiber, and so on.

I understand it now that microplastics are in Arctic snowfall and it should be observable in our rain. Why? What makes the clouds white?

Salt. Even inland, white clouds are 85% salt after accumulating dust and all overland. The salt is blown up from the oceans and carried by the wind to be the seed particles for raindrops to form. Microplastic particles will behave the same way.

One question worthy of examination: what effect will this be or not be on lung tissue and gills? 

Our town has already switched back to paper straws and reusable shopping bags. The reusable shopping bags happened years ago. Free cloth bags were given to any shopper for several months prior to the plastic bag ban. So the transition was relatively painless. 

The return of the paper straws followed later. I'm with @hasanhh.....having  the feel of a paper straw in my mouth again was so wonderful...brought back pleasant childhood memories of when my grandparents would take us to get a drink at the soda fountain. Funny how that works. A lot of paper products these days are from recycled materials. We even have compostable picnic cutlery.

I live on the ocean. A lot of local folks make their livelihood from the sea. Keeping it clean and healthy is going to be necessary for the economies around here. This comes as a surprise to a lot of cheerleaders for some of the more polluting industries when they go to public meetings in order to label their opponents "urban  hippy-dippy" types and are met with a crowd of muscled, tatoo-ed ,hard bitten fishermen. 

I somehow never tire of seeing that happen.

Nerd, Geek and Techie ALERT:

A critical review paper on microplastics can be found here:

https://eportfolios.macaulay.cuny.edu/branco2014/files/2014/08/hidalgoruzetalENVIRONNMTLSCITECHNOL2012.pdf 

Some interesting points:

The term "micro-plastics" was first used in 2004.

70% of reported microplastics are mis-identified. Accurate ways of identifying actual plastic -spectroscopy- is available and described.

Micro-fibers are also a concern because sewage plants cannot remove them from the discharges of washing machines.

The density of some plastics decreases in seawater.

Microplastics are found in the dung of seals.

NOTE: You may have to read it twice to absorb it all.

47 minutes ago, notme said:

How close is the correlation between the increase in incidence of autism, and microplastics contamination in the environment. Plastic is an endocrine disruptor, right?

There is an easy way to find out for yourself. I switched to glass bottles from plastic ones for storing potable water and found out. Non-stick cooking utensils have the same effect. Avoiding plastic a person can notice immediately the next day a certain healthy change with their mind which sort of expands after quitting plastic, styro-foam cups and all that. Just try it.

6 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

There is an easy way to find out for yourself. I switched to glass bottles from plastic ones for storing potable water and found out. Non-stick cooking utensils have the same effect. Avoiding plastic a person can notice immediately the next day a certain healthy change with their mind which sort of expands after quitting plastic, styro-foam cups and all that. Just try it.

Plastic is usually more dangerous for your health and the taste of your stored products (especially in relatively extreme temperatures). If one can get rid of it all, that'd be the best choice.

Glass and aluminum are especially good alternatives both for taste or ecological impact. Especially recyclable aluminum containers are the safest choice (it's a light, resistant, recyclable material). Both aluminum and glass are less permeable than plastic, so the liquid they contain will keep its taste more. However, aluminum tends to add some metal-ish flavour.

Edited by Bakir

8 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

I use glass food storage containers and have been using a stainless steel water bottle for years, but if the plastic is in the water and even in the air, it can't be avoided without expensive and isolating equipment!

2 hours ago, notme said:

I use glass food storage containers

I figure you are using pyrex and other 'unbreakables'.

l do not, as a rule, use storage containers. l mostly leave stuff in the store's packaging.

I avoid glass bottles whenever l can.

7 hours ago, notme said:

I use glass food storage containers and have been using a stainless steel water bottle for years, but if the plastic is in the water and even in the air, it can't be avoided without expensive and isolating equipment!

Btw, a large HEPA filter for a usual house ventilation is not costly, its less than a 100 usd here, around 70$ perhaps. Add 30$ for a 12" exhaust fan and a really effective air filtration system can be diy'ed by any engineer imo. The HEPA will filter out fungus spores and most of the bacteria along with the rest of the material particles which will probably stick to the pre-filter. The pre-filter can be made with foam. On one side of the box which is to be kept outside one can place the pre-filter, and on the other side the hepa, and the fan inside the box. I was going to diy one for my mushroom grow room but realized it wasn't really needed so settled for a non-hepa exhaust system.

DeutscheWelle has a film entitled "Plastic Tide", 43 min and mostly good.

The eerie part is at minute 32: plastic passing through the stomach into our blood. 

l watched this and the following on Youtube.com + Plastic Tide.

This is followed by Unsolvable, "The Lab that could save ..."  on youtube.

WARNING: for you sensitive types, there is the dissection of birds and oysters shown.

@iCenozoic l think you'll like these.