Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mateen Rokni

Is marijuana considered an intoxicant ?

Rate this topic

Just now, Ron_Burgundy said:

Because most of potheads I know are stupid and dumb. 

Hahhahahahahahahahah, a lot of them are. But, as with everything only the worst of us are noticed. 

I have found there are more of us who are productive members of society than not. No one notices because we are out there making it happen and not causing a stink.

I'm on the same boat as funklebits. I've been smoking marijuana for years. It has helped me in many ways. In a nut shell, it helps me think better and more clearly, it helps me feel a lot better if I'm in a bad or depressed mood. I come up with the answers to a lot of my life's questions as well when doing so. To me, it opens up my brain even more & allows me to be more creative & be able to solve a lot of my life's problems. I just feel like I make better life decisions when I'm smoking it. But mainly, it helps with depression and anxiety. 

Now here is the thing, most, if not all people I talk to, say cigarettes are worse than marijuana. Yet people smoke cigarettes regularly. Just go to the masjid & see all the men out in the parking lots smoking it. I'm sure a lot of us can agree that cigarettes are more detrimental to the health than marijuana is. That being said, why aren't cigarettes haram? And yes one might argue that it is, and others might say it isn't. Either way, cigarettes tend to cause more harm in the long term than marijuana. I just feel like not enough research has been done on marijuana and the benefits of it. That's just my opinion though.

I think the benefits of marijuana outweigh the negatives. Marijuana works amazing for people, while others; it may not have that affect. Everyone reacts differently to it. But more or less, the benefits of marijuana outweigh the negatives, & that's what I think should be focused on. 

1 hour ago, funklebits said:

Hahhahahahahahahahah, a lot of them are. But, as with everything only the worst of us are noticed. 

I have found there are more of us who are productive members of society than not. No one notices because we are out there making it happen and not causing a stink.

However, it is haram.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, funklebits said:

I do not drink and consider alcohol an intoxicant and Haram.

What is your definition of intoxicant though?

On 6/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, funklebits said:

I don't have one or follow any at the moment. Why do you ask? 

Why not? Take my question above as an example, will your definitions be derived from Islamic sources or your own personal assumptions who may not always be objective?

47 minutes ago, RepentantServant said:

I'm on the same boat as funklebits. I've been smoking marijuana for years. It has helped me in many ways. In a nut shell, it helps me think better and more clearly, it helps me feel a lot better if I'm in a bad or depressed mood. I come up with the answers to a lot of my life's questions as well when doing so. To me, it opens up my brain even more & allows me to be more creative & be able to solve a lot of my life's problems. I just feel like I make better life decisions when I'm smoking it. But mainly, it helps with depression and anxiety. 

Now here is the thing, most, if not all people I talk to, say cigarettes are worse than marijuana. Yet people smoke cigarettes regularly. Just go to the masjid & see all the men out in the parking lots smoking it. I'm sure a lot of us can agree that cigarettes are more detrimental to the health than marijuana is. That being said, why aren't cigarettes haram? And yes one might argue that it is, and others might say it isn't. Either way, cigarettes tend to cause more harm in the long term than marijuana. I just feel like not enough research has been done on marijuana and the benefits of it. That's just my opinion though.

I think the benefits of marijuana outweigh the negatives. Marijuana works amazing for people, while others; it may not have that affect. Everyone reacts differently to it. But more or less, the benefits of marijuana outweigh the negatives, & that's what I think should be focused on. 

Who is your marja?

56 minutes ago, RepentantServant said:

I'm on the same boat as funklebits

:titanic::helpsos:

On 6/11/2019 at 3:21 PM, IbnSina said:

What is your definition of intoxicant though?

Why not? Take my question above as an example, will your definitions be derived from Islamic sources or your own personal assumptions who may not always be objective?

It is defined as a substance (man made or naturally occurring) that when done can lead to the loss of control (both mentally and physically) of a person. 

As to why not, that is a subject for another place.

I use Islamic sources as well as the gift of intelligence, reason and common sense.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:42 PM, funklebits said:

As to why not, that is a subject for another place.

I use Islamic sources as well as the gift of intelligence, reason and common sense.

You make the rules as you go in other words.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:42 PM, funklebits said:

It is defined as a substance (man made or naturally occurring) that when done can lead to the loss of control (both mentally and physically) of a person. 

And weed cannot do that to you if used too much?

It does not affect your ability to think and judge if you use it too much?

I wouldn't say I make the rules as I go, rather I discover them through faith, practical application of faith and education. 

I take it you have no knowledge of Cannabis other than being told about it so the quick of it is, you don't lose control. It does influence thought but not in a way that can be easily described. I think the best way to describe it is through a metaphor. The mental effects it has is the same as if you are sitting in a chair in a room looking through a window that has been darkened out. When you smoke several shades of color are taken away from that window and allow you to see a clearer picture of what's outside.

If Cannabis was abused and a person chooses to consume a ton of it (which by the way you can consume your body wieght and not die) the worst that will happen to him is they will get sleepy and hungry. Cannabis or rather THC is naturally occurring and the brain has several receptors for it naturally. If you consume too much the body flushes it all of your system and no matter how much you ingest afterwards you'll never be able to be under its influence until you get a good sleep in.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:28 PM, Ron_Burgundy said:

Why not?

The summary is, it does not ever take control of you physically or mentally. It only aids. It is hard to explain to someone who doesn't know anything about it.

I replied to another that has a description of it. I hope this helps.