Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mateen Rokni

Is marijuana considered an intoxicant ?

Rate this topic

While it seems like the vast majority of everyone says yes, I will take the counter approach and tell you I do not believe it is. I have been a daily user for the past 25/26 years of my life and can say from my anecdotal evidence is it has been nothing but positive and has aided and helped me in ways I did not think possible. I would honestly say I am a better man for smoking it and my faith is stronger because of it. 

However, I have not studied enough to truly give you any Islamic resources to support my position. But, I highly doubt there will be many that specifically say Cannabis before the early 1900s(The only reason it truly became an issue is when America chose it to enact racist policies). Everything I have read is phrased like, intoxicant and alcohol. To me, this is saying if something is as bad as alcohol flee. I agree with that completely.   

Cannabis has fed our people, our cattle, provided textiles and clothing, it has been the sails on our ships and the ropes on its deck. Cannabis has been pivotal to Middle Eastern, Persian and Asian cultures and thought for thousands of years and it is a shame it has been demonized. 

Alright everyone, let the comments fly. 

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

Sub7an'Allah how Allah set up this perfect religion with ahkam al khamsa.

Thank God we have marjas who have studied Deen al Haq for over 40 years.

Q1392. Is hashish pure? And is it ḥarām to use?
A: Hashish is pure. However, it is ḥarām to use it.

Q1393. What is the ruling in the matter of using narcotics, such as hashish, opium, heroin, morphine, and marijuana, be it by way of eating, drinking, smoking, injecting or applying them anally? And what is the view on selling, buying, and dealing in them in general, I.e., carrying, transporting, storing, or smuggling?
A: It is ḥarām to use narcotics in any way because it results in considerable adverse effects in terms of personal health and social cost. By the same token, it is ḥarām to deal in narcotics in any way, I.e., carrying, transporting, storing, selling, buying, etc.

Q1394. Is it permissible to use narcotic drugs for the treatment of diseases? And assuming that it is permissible, is it absolutely permissible or in case that it is the only way of treatment?
A: There is no objection to it provided that the treatment and the eventual recovery are dependent on their use and it is prescribed by a trustworthy physician.

https://www.leader.ir/en/book/32/Practical-Laws-of-Islam

It is a potential intoxicant, but it is not an intoxicant in its entirety. There are cannabinoids in Marijuana that are not intoxicating and some that are. While large amounts of THC are intoxicating, I am not aware of large amounts of CBD as being intoxicating. 

This is unlike alcohol which is wholly intoxicating without any elements that do not intoxicate, unless you count the water content of alcohol of cause.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:46 PM, funklebits said:

While it seems like the vast majority of everyone says yes, I will take the counter approach and tell you I do not believe it is. I have been a daily user for the past 25/26 years of my life and can say from my anecdotal evidence is it has been nothing but positive and has aided and helped me in ways I did not think possible. I would honestly say I am a better man for smoking it and my faith is stronger because of it. 

However, I have not studied enough to truly give you any Islamic resources to support my position. But, I highly doubt there will be many that specifically say Cannabis before the early 1900s(The only reason it truly became an issue is when America chose it to enact racist policies). Everything I have read is phrased like, intoxicant and alcohol. To me, this is saying if something is as bad as alcohol flee. I agree with that completely.   

Cannabis has fed our people, our cattle, provided textiles and clothing, it has been the sails on our ships and the ropes on its deck. Cannabis has been pivotal to Middle Eastern, Persian and Asian cultures and thought for thousands of years and it is a shame it has been demonized. 

Alright everyone, let the comments fly. 

Who is your marja?

By your logic, if I understand it correctly, then alcohol is not problematic either as long as you don't drink enough of it to get drunk. Do you drink red wine?

On 6/11/2019 at 12:10 PM, Ron_Burgundy said:

How

This is easy to answer. It has made me kinder, more generous and understanding, more patient, a better teacher, a better follower. It has helped me ponder over things. It has been constant companion and friend from the moment we met until today. 

The list is honestly endless. I can not emphasize enough how much good it has done for me mentally.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:08 PM, aaaz1618 said:

It is a potential intoxicant, but it is not an intoxicant in its entirety. There are cannabinoids in Marijuana that are not intoxicating and some that are. While large amounts of THC are intoxicating, I am not aware of large amounts of CBD as being intoxicating. 

This is unlike alcohol which is wholly intoxicating without any elements that do not intoxicate, unless you count the water content of alcohol of cause.

Alcohol does not intoxicate in lesser ammounts.

If you weigh 120 kg as a man and drink a light beer, say 33cl of it. You sure as hell won't get any kind of intoxication at all, yet you have just consumed a alcoholic beverage.

But Islam does not only say do not do haram, it says do not go NEAR haram.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:26 PM, IbnSina said:

Who is your marja?

I don't have one or follow any at the moment. Why do you ask? 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:26 PM, IbnSina said:

By your logic, if I understand it correctly, then alcohol is not problematic either as long as you don't drink enough of it to get drunk. Do you drink red wine?

What? by my logic? I think you might want to read my post again, but in saying that I will still answer you anyway,

I do not drink and consider alcohol an intoxicant and Haram. There is a huge difference between alcohol and Cannabis. One brings harm the other doesn't. Unless you are naturally allergic.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:29 PM, funklebits said:

This is easy to answer. It has made me kinder, more generous and understanding, more patient, a better teacher, a better follower. It has helped me ponder over things. It has been constant companion and friend from the moment we met until today. 

The list is honestly endless. I can not emphasize enough how much good it has done for me mentally.

What do you do for living?

1 minute ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

What do you do for living

I am in Information Security and currently work as an auditor for physical and cyber security. 

Why do you ask? If you don't mind me asking?

9 minutes ago, funklebits said:

I am in Information Security and currently work as an auditor for physical and cyber security. 

Why do you ask? If you don't mind me asking?

Because most of potheads I know are stupid and dumb.