Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

As salaamun aleikum,

The ayatt im having a hard time with is this one:

Surah Al-Mutaffifin, Verse 34:
فَالْيَوْمَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مِنَ الْكُفَّارِ يَضْحَكُونَ

So today those who believe shall laugh at the unbelievers;

If I could find an easy way to do it, I would quote the last 20 verses of this Surah for those who don't have the time to go read it all, but im 99%sure it is talking about the Believers when they reach to Janna, and it says that the Believers will laugh at the disbelievers..

My problem here is, that doesn't exactly sound like something people of Janna would be doing, laughing at the people who are disbelievers that are now burning in Jahannam:cry:. It just seems to be an "off" behavior for people of faith to exhibit, ESPECIALLY in Jannah. Even if it was someone like Satanyahu burning, and there are TONS of people who would be justified to see that "person" pay for his tremendous sins and crimes against humanity, the behavior doesnt seem fitting... is it really Janna if you still remember the horrendous stuff that happened on Earth enough to turn and laugh at the person  suffering their payment for what they committed? I don't know about you guys, but I'm hoping that when I leave here I don't remember the stuff that I've been exposed to in this world because a lot of it's been horrendous!:cry:

Is this a bad translation? Its from iQuran,  and this wouldnt be the first time ive come across a bad translation on that app..

Heres what Ali Quli Qarai translation says:

Surah Al-Mutaffifeen  : Verse (83 : 34)

فَٱلْيَوْمَ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ مِنَ ٱلْكُفَّارِ يَضْحَكُونَ

So today the faithful will laugh at the faithless,

Pretty much the same thing. Any thought, guidance, or perspective anyone can offer?

W/s

Edited by shia farm girl

Yeah, the translation I have says 'infidels'. 

We can laugh mentally not literally, see the irony in another person's situation and find it funny without actually laughing. The irony here is that the people who made it their life long ambition to enjoy mocking God and religion will be spending eternity paying for it, while we (insha'Allah) will spend an eternity enjoying ourselves.

I think it's important to know that the sorts of people being laughed at probably aren't the types of people that go about life causing no harm to others but just don't see themselves as religious. It's the people who after being shown the signs of Allah rejected it and made it their mission to kill, torture, taunt and degrade people who did follow God.

@aaaz1618

Thank you for your answer, I'm still having a hard time getting past people in Jenna laughing at someone else suffering. I mean,  I would have a hard time laughing at someone who's getting 70 whips for committing adultery or Zina, so I can't imagine people in heaven having the kind of character where they would be laughing at someone else suffering, even if that suffering IS just, such as the suffering Satanyahu (LA) will experience, in sha Allah. It also doesn't seem right that people in Janna would be exposed to whatever is going on in jahannam:(

Sorry if im being redundant:furious:

W/s

Guest Light
4 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

My problem here is, that doesn't exactly sound like something people of Janna would be doing, laughing at the people who are disbelievers that are now burning in Jahannam:cry:. It just seems to be an "off" behavior for people of faith to exhibit, ESPECIALLY in Jannah.

:bismillah:

Surah Al-Mutaffifin, Verse 36:

هَلْ ثُوِّبَ الْكُفَّارُ مَا كَانُوا يَفْعَلُونَ

Surely the disbelievers are rewarded as they did. (English - Shakir) 

People in jannah will obey the command of their Lord. If it would be a divine verdict that the believers should laugh on disbelievers as they did laugh on believers in the worldly life, no one would have any objection on that. Justice will be done in its finest & best form Insha Allah.

Guest John
4 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

@aaaz1618

Thank you for your answer, I'm still having a hard time getting past people in Jenna laughing at someone else suffering. I mean,  I would have a hard time laughing at someone who's getting 70 whips for committing adultery or Zina, so I can't imagine people in heaven having the kind of character where they would be laughing at someone else suffering, even if that suffering IS just, such as the suffering Satanyahu (LA) will experience, in sha Allah. It also doesn't seem right that people in Janna would be exposed to whatever is going on in jahannam:(

Sorry if im being redundant:furious:

W/s

AOA! I think there's no equivalence between being punished for adultery... and the ultimate punishment in jahannam (chosen by the unbelievers) hence conclusion needs to be reviewed. For variant (other meanings of this word) please see the other meanings  root I.e. "ضحك" pls. see an example below:-

حَتَّىٰ إِذَا أَتَوْا عَلَىٰ وَادِ النَّمْلِ قَالَتْ نَمْلَةٌ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّمْلُ ادْخُلُوا مَسَاكِنَكُمْ لَا يَحْطِمَنَّكُمْ سُلَيْمَانُ وَجُنُودُهُ وَهُمْ لَا يَشْعُرُونَ [٢٧:١٨] 
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you (under foot) without knowing it." 

فَتَبَسَّمَ ضَاحِكًا مِّن قَوْلِهَا وَقَالَ رَبِّ أَوْزِعْنِي أَنْ أَشْكُرَ نِعْمَتَكَ الَّتِي أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيَّ وَعَلَىٰ وَالِدَيَّ وَأَنْ أَعْمَلَ صَالِحًا تَرْضَاهُ وَأَدْخِلْنِي بِرَحْمَتِكَ فِي عِبَادِكَ الصَّالِحِينَ [٢٧:١٩] 
So he smiled, amused at her speech; and he said: "O my Lord! so order me that I may be grateful for Thy favours, which thou hast bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may work the righteousness that will please Thee: And admit me, by Thy Grace, to the ranks of Thy righteous Servants."

Additionally, refereed aya needs to be seen in the context of few more ayas especially that last one viz. 

Those in sin used to laugh at those who believed, (83: 29)

Will not the Unbelievers have been paid back for what they did? [٨٣:٣٦]

وَأَن لَّيْسَ لِلْإِنسَانِ إِلَّا مَا سَعَىٰ [٥٣:٣٩] 
That man can have nothing but what he strives for; 

وَأَنَّ سَعْيَهُ سَوْفَ يُرَىٰ [٥٣:٤٠] 
That (the fruit of) his striving will soon come in sight: 

ثُمَّ يُجْزَاهُ الْجَزَاءَ الْأَوْفَىٰ [٥٣:٤١] 
Then will he be rewarded with a reward complete; 

وَأَنَّهُ هُوَ أَضْحَكَ وَأَبْكَىٰ [٥٣:٤٣] 
That it is He Who granteth Laughter and Tears

So, a possible interpretation would be "believers are laughing or [will laugh] on the foolish beliefs/ideology of unbelievers. Apparently believers are not laughing at the punishment or suffering {which seem to be a moral issue in your opinion]. It's what they have believed..... making others to laugh at [which is natural]

Hope this helps.

21 minutes ago, Guest Light said:

Surah Al-Mutaffifin, Verse 36:

هَلْ ثُوِّبَ الْكُفَّارُ مَا كَانُوا يَفْعَلُونَ

Surely the disbelievers are rewarded as they did. (English - Shakir) 

People in jannah will obey the command of their Lord. If it would be a divine verdict that the believers should laugh on disbelievers as they did laugh on believers in the worldly life, no one would have any objection on that. Justice will be done in its finest & best form Insha Allah.

It certainly makes since we are still under the command of Allah in Jannah. However, Allah says there will be no unseemly things in Jannah, such as envy or bitterness, so naturally there should be mocking either. And besides He says that on Jannah the people will have whatever their souls desire. It doesn't go well hand in hand with "taking orders".

The ayah is possibly speaking to the disbelievers as a warning more than to the believers as of the conditions of Jannah, possibly.

Guest Light
1 hour ago, Aragaia said:

However, Allah says there will be no unseemly things in Jannah, such as envy or bitterness, so naturally there should be mocking either. And besides He says that on Jannah the people will have whatever their souls desire. It doesn't go well hand in hand with "taking orders".

Just keep in mind 83:36 and see the following verses:

Surah Az-Zukhruf, Verse 47:

فَلَمَّا جَاءَهُم بِآيَاتِنَا إِذَا هُم مِّنْهَا يَضْحَكُونَ

But when he came to them with Our signs, lo! they laughed at them.

(English - Shakir)

So disbelievers used to mock the signs of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and their act is disliked by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) Himself. 

Now have a look at the word "muntaqemoon" in the following verses:

Surah Az-Zukhruf, Verse 41:

فَإِمَّا نَذْهَبَنَّ بِكَ فَإِنَّا مِنْهُم مُّنتَقِمُونَ

But if We should take you away, still We shall inflict retribution on them;

(English - Shakir)

Surah Ad-Dukhan, Verse 16:

يَوْمَ نَبْطِشُ الْبَطْشَةَ الْكُبْرَىٰ إِنَّا مُنتَقِمُونَ

On the day when We will seize (them) with the most violent seizing; surely We will inflict retribution.

(English - Shakir)

Now lets see the following ones:

فَأَصَابَهُمْ سَيِّئَاتُ مَا عَمِلُواْ وَحَاقَ بِهِم مَّا كَانُواْ بِهِ يَسْتَهْزِؤُونَ

16:34 for all the evil that they had done fell [back] upon them, and they were overwhelmed by the very thing which they had been wont to deride.

وَوُفِّيَتْ كُلُّ نَفْسٍ مَّا عَمِلَتْ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا يَفْعَلُونَ

39:70 for every human being will be repaid in full for whatever [good or evil] he has done: and He is fully aware of all that they do.

Guest Light
4 hours ago, Aragaia said:

The ayah is bad personsibly speaking to the disbelievers as a warning more than to the believers as of the conditions of Jannah, possibly.

Lets see the verse once again:

9 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

This is not the warning but a description of the fact which disbelievers will face on the day of judgement.

Important point to note here is that, those who used to laugh on believers in this worldly life, have also mocked the signs of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) as mentioned in following verse:

Surah Az-Zukhruf, Verse 47:

فَلَمَّا جَاءَهُم بِآيَاتِنَا إِذَا هُم مِّنْهَا يَضْحَكُونَ

But when he came to them with Our signs, lo! they laughed at them.

And in the same chapter (Zukhruf), we also find a verse like this:

Surah Az-Zukhruf, Verse 41:

فَإِمَّا نَذْهَبَنَّ بِكَ فَإِنَّا مِنْهُم مُّنتَقِمُونَ

But if We should take you away, still We shall inflict retribution on them;

And at another place:

Surah Ad-Dukhan, Verse 16:

يَوْمَ نَبْطِشُ الْبَطْشَةَ الْكُبْرَىٰ إِنَّا مُنتَقِمُونَ

On the day when We will seize (them) with the most violent seizing; surely We will inflict retribution.

Then we have few verses mentioning the recompense of deeds in following manner:

فَأَصَابَهُمْ سَيِّئَاتُ مَا عَمِلُواْ وَحَاقَ بِهِم مَّا كَانُواْ بِهِ يَسْتَهْزِؤُونَ

16:34 for all the evil that they had done fell [back] upon them, and they were overwhelmed by the very thing which they had been wont to deride.

Guest Light

And there is one another verse which will conclude this topic:

وَالَّذِينَ كَسَبُواْ السَّيِّئَاتِ جَزَاء سَيِّئَةٍ بِمِثْلِهَا وَتَرْهَقُهُمْ ذِلَّةٌ 

10:27 But as for those who have done evil deeds - the recompense of an evil, deed shall be the like thereof:

As saaamun aleikum everyone,

Thank u for your responses.

@Guest John, yes , you're right, there is definitely no equivalence with the scenario I mentioned in my post versus people in Jannah laughing at the ones who didnt achieve Jannah. And that was exactly my point. I wouldnt  even have a feeling of desire or the inclination to laugh at someone being punished by an earned dunya-I punishment. Why would I be laughing at someone suffering eternally? 

My issue is with the character it takes to to laugh at someone elses suffering. It seems sadistic. Would any of the peiple we associate with great piety and religious observance laugh at someone suffering, even deservedly? I can’t imagine Ayat.Bahjat, Ayat. Khomeini, Alameh Tabatabai, Ayat.Hassan Hassanzadeh Amoli, etc, or even the lesser scholars we see more frequently on youtube, like Farrokh Sekaleshfar, Dr., Ali Shomali,etc. I can't even imagine these people laughing at someone suffering, so unless the scenario in Jannah is more like @Aragaia says:

4 hours ago, Aragaia said:

The ayah is possibly speaking to the disbelievers as a warning more than to the believers as of the conditions of Jannah, possibly.

... the idea of taking it literally, that people in Jannah will literally be laughing at people suffering in jahannam, as well as the problem of Allah commanding people in Jannah to laugh at people in jahannam which seems very strange to me since we're supposed to be striving in this world to make our souls as compliant and as befitting of a place such as Jenna, it just doesn't make sense to me that a Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) would command us to laugh at something. I do understand that we are to love whatever Allah says for us to love and to hate whatever Allah says for us to hate, I get that, it's just that Janna has been described as a place of Purity, and I don't see these things being able to coexist in a place of absolute purity.

This reminds me of another issue I have come to lately, and that is regarsing how Iblees can exist in Janna, prior to his refusal to bow to Adam(عليه السلام).. I get it, he worshipped for thousands and thousands of years and he achieved this Grand position amongst the Angels, but... That means disobeying Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)  is still a possibility in Janna so I have an issue with that. But if we are to somehow use some quranic verses or maybe even legit hadith and arrive at the conclusion that Iblees wasn't really in the technical Janna that we in sha Allah go to after we are judged, but rather he was in a lesser realm such as the realm of Malayikat, I can accept that because it's a lesser realm than Janna, but I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of Iblees existing in Jannah where he's still capable of doing wrong.

If in Janna, we still have the right and the will to choose either good or bad, then what makes Janna Janna then? We are supposed to make ourselves "ready/prepared" to be insuch a place as Janah, nt take all our old character defects and bad behavior from the dunya with us...What would the point be of us purifying our souls on this Earth if we're just going to Jannah to revert back to committing sins,like Iblees chose to do whe he refused to bow?

The point of us being here is to mould our souls to a condition that is befitting of Janna by eradicating vice and instilling sincere, real virtue... And using a very lame analogy, it's tantamount to me trying to run in the Olympics race, but having not even practiced running before. Id be in no condition to be in such a place.:confused: 

If we go with the idea of, well, we do our best to purify our souls here, then we pray and hope for Allahs(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)Mercy to purify Us in barzakh an forgive us our sins on Yaum Al Qiyammah before we enter Jannah, well then the problem is even more so because at that point we would be even MORE pure and even less capable of laughing at others sufferings and Jannah seems  even less likely of a place for Iblees to be hanging out where he chose to defy Allahs(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) command.

W/s

Guest Light

Salam,

What would believers doing, if not smiling, when they would hear this claim:

يُنَادُونَهُمْ أَلَمْ نَكُن مَّعَكُمْ

57:14

@Shia farm girl if I may offer a possible thought,

The phrase "laughing at" is used, but instead meant in the context of having satisfaction at having walked the right path. Where "laughing at" isn't used as the actual act, but to reflect that feeling. In the ayatt's before (in the translation I have) mentions the unbeliever winking smugly to each other at the believer. Soon after is the ayatt with the laughter and is used in the context of saying and please forgive me for paraphrasing but, the unbeliever may be feeling joy and mocking you, have no fear for you will have this joy and more for walking the straight path.

If I am in error I would ask the learned brothers and sisters here to correct me.

Verse 29/30 of this Surah says that in this dunya faithless laugh at and make fun of the faithful but in the next world it's going to be the opposite(v.34)

I personally don't feel anything wrong with it. This verse was probably sent to console the believers when they feel dejected at being made fun of by the disbelievers, something like 'who had the last laugh'.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, Shia farm girl said:

Heres what Ali Quli Qarai translation says:

Surah Al-Mutaffifeen  : Verse (83 : 34)

فَٱلْيَوْمَ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ مِنَ ٱلْكُفَّارِ يَضْحَكُونَ

So today the faithful will laugh at the faithless,

Pretty much the same thing. Any thought, guidance, or perspective anyone can offer?

From the Qur'an the following verses describe the laughing of unbelievers:

٤٣_٤٧    فَلَمَّا جَآءَهُم بِـَٔايَٰتِنَآ إِذَا هُم مِّنْهَا يَضْحَكُونَ

043:047 But when he brought them Our signs, they indeed laughed at them.

٨٣_٢٩    إِنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ أَجْرَمُوا۟ كَانُوا۟ مِنَ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ يَضْحَكُونَ

083:029 Indeed the guilty used to laugh at the faithful,

٩_٨٢    فَلْيَضْحَكُوا۟ قَلِيلًۭا وَلْيَبْكُوا۟ كَثِيرًۭا جَزَآءًۢ بِمَا كَانُوا۟ يَكْسِبُونَ

009:082 So let them laugh a little; much will they weep as a requital for what they used to earn.

Now the Qur'an also mentions that believers will laugh on unbelievers (in return):

٨٣_٣٤    فَٱلْيَوْمَ ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ مِنَ ٱلْكُفَّارِ يَضْحَكُونَ

083:034 So today the faithful will laugh at the faithless,

The picture is compete.

The guidance/understanding in this regards can be obtained from the story of Hz Nuh AS.

As the Almighty says,

“And he began to make the ark; and whenever the chiefs from among his people passed by him they laughed at him. He said, If you laugh at us, surely we too laugh at you as you laugh (at us).

So shall you know who it is on whom will come a chastisement which will disgrace him, and on whom will lasting chastisement come down?” (11:38-39)

Imam said that the Almighty had ordered him to build a ship and delegated Archangel Gabriel to teach him the technique. Nuh began to construct the ship. Its length was twelve hundred hands, width 800 hands and height 80. Nuh inquired, “Who will assist me in building this ship.”

Allah revealed to him to announce among his people that whosoever would help him in making the ship and scrape a log, the shavings will turn into gold and silver. When Nuh announced this, the people came along to help him in building the ship. But at the same time, they mocked him saying that he was building a ship in the middle of a desert.

It is related through acceptable chains from the same Imam that when Allah decided to destroy the people of Nuh he made their women barren 40 years prior to that. When Nuh completed the construction of the ship, he called out in Syrian language and the beasts rushed to him in response. From each of the species he took a pair. There were in all 80 people who had accepted faith. Allah revealed to him,

“Until when Our command came and water came forth from the valley, We said, Carry in it two of all things, a pair, and your own family —except those against whom the word has already gone forth, and those who believe. And there believed not with him but a few.” (11:40)

https://www.al-Islam.org/hayat-al-qulub-vol-1-allamah-Muhammad-Baqir-al-majlisi/account-nuh#birth-nuh-death-and-life-span-nuh

Edited by Muslim2010

On 6/7/2019 at 4:43 PM, Shia farm girl said:

there is nothing strange in it sister the believers at the unbelievers because they tormented them and called them liars, idiots, stupids and oppressed them in their lives. The believers would laugh at unbelievers in happiness that they were truthful in this world and Allah (عزّ وجلّ) proved them right. So, they are not laughing because they are put into hell but they will laugh as what was promised to them has been fulfilled. Tell me a boy or a girl who has studied hard in hot summers and his class fellows mock at him but his teacher says him or her that you will eventually pass with good marks, is that a bad thing to do ? 

As Salaamun akeikum everyone,

So the initial question I had was still making me crazy., because something just wasnt sitting right with me with most of the responses, so I eventually decided to emailed Dr.. Farokh Sekaleshfar. Here is his response:

Concerning 83:34, as we see so much in the translations of the Qur'an, the term "laughing" is incorrect for the Arabic term "yadh-hakoon"

the universal essence and meaning of the term yadh-ha-koon which is derived from "dhihk" (ضخک) is a manifested effect of intense joy within one's soul

the operative clause being "within one's soul" I.e. not a physical laughing or any sort of mocking etc. which is beyond the character of the heavenly

this inner joy may result as a result of their seeing Allah's justice in the Hereafter, something which they academically knew when in this world. Their patience would seem rewarding to them etc.

also note, that this need not apply to all believers of all degrees. It may be in relation to step one whereas stronger level believers may not be experiencing such joy at all in the same way they are not interested in the heavenly rewards of the houris and palaces and food etc. They are only concerned in divine proximity and being with Him.

My sincere thanks to all who offerrd their time in helping me with this question.

W/s

On 6/13/2019 at 10:29 PM, Shia farm girl said:
As Salaamun akeikum everyone,

So the initial question I had was still making me crazy., because something just wasnt sitting right with me with most of the responses, so I eventually decided to emailed Dr... Farokh Sekaleshfar. Here is his response:

Concerning 83:34, as we see so much in the translations of the Qur'an, the term "laughing" is incorrect for the Arabic term "yadh-hakoon"

the universal essence and meaning of the term yadh-ha-koon which is derived from "dhihk" (ضخک) is a manifested effect of intense joy within one's soul

the operative clause being "within one's soul" I.e. not a physical laughing or any sort of mocking etc. which is beyond the character of the heavenly

this inner joy may result as a result of their seeing Allah's justice in the Hereafter, something which they academically knew when in this world. Their patience would seem rewarding to them etc.

also note, that this need not apply to all believers of all degrees. It may be in relation to step one whereas stronger level believers may not be experiencing such joy at all in the same way they are not interested in the heavenly rewards of the houris and palaces and food etc. They are only concerned in divine proximity and being with Him.

My sincere thanks to all who offerrd their time in helping me with this question.

W/s

That doesn't really help the original issue. In fact it would be more natural to laugh than to feel intense joy within the soul. In the original context you put it to that is