Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

3rd Kalimah, help

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Assalaamu alaikum,

Here we go again, I know this is a topic already discussed multiple times but I could not find anything helpful in previous threads I read. 

Someone we know is a fairly recent convert to Islam, of course became Sunni first, but because of guidance from Allah and influence from some Shias is slowly realizing the haqq of Shia Islam. One question he has is about the 3rd Kalimah. 

From what I have read, Shias say it as mustahab dhikr, and not official part of adhan or iqamah. But where is the evidence of it being mustahab or even allowed? And if there is none, if it's simply bidah, how can we explain it not being condemned, or it even being promoted, by our ulema? 

I am afraid that he will be turned away from Shia Islam if not answered well. 

• Veteran Member
50 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

From what I have read, Shias say it as mustahab dhikr, and not official part of adhan or iqamah. But where is the evidence of it being mustahab or even allowed? And if there is none, if it's simply bidah, how can we explain it not being condemned, or it even being promoted, by our ulema? 

The following links can be seen for explanation about this matter ie wilayat of Imam Ali in kalima, Adhan and Iqamah:

1. Aliyun Waliyullah in the Kalima and Adhan

https://www.imamreza.net/old/eng/imamreza.php?id=4967

2. Question: Why do Shias include “Aliyun Waliyullah” in the kalima and adhan?

https://www.al-Islam.org/Shia-Sunni-debate-answering-50-most-common-questions-Dr...-liakat-dewji-baqerali-alidina/chapter-4-holy#question-34-why-do-Shias-include-aliyun-waliyullah-kalima-and-adhan

3. Ruling of Ayatullah Seestani

Question: Is the third testimony a part of Adhan and Iqamah?

Answer: Ash hadu anna Amiral Mu'minina 'Aliyyan Waliyyullah ( I testify that the Commander of the faithful, Imam Ali (عليه السلام) is the vicegerent of Allah) is not a part of Adhan and Iqamah, but it is good to say it after reciting Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulul lah with the intention (Niyyat) of Qurbat (seeking nearness to Allah).

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01131/

wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010
  • Veteran Member
5 hours ago, Muslim2010 said:

The following links can be seen for explanation about this matter ie wilayat of Imam Ali in kalima, Adhan and Iqamah:

1. Aliyun Waliyullah in the Kalima and Adhan

https://www.imamreza.net/old/eng/imamreza.php?id=4967

2. Question: Why do Shias include “Aliyun Waliyullah” in the kalima and adhan?

https://www.al-Islam.org/Shia-Sunni-debate-answering-50-most-common-questions-Dr....-liakat-dewji-baqerali-alidina/chapter-4-holy#question-34-why-do-Shias-include-aliyun-waliyullah-kalima-and-adhan

3. Ruling of Ayatullah Seestani

Question: Is the third testimony a part of Adhan and Iqamah?

Answer: Ash hadu anna Amiral Mu'minina 'Aliyyan Waliyyullah ( I testify that the Commander of the faithful, Imam Ali (عليه السلام) is the vicegerent of Allah) is not a part of Adhan and Iqamah, but it is good to say it after reciting Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulul lah with the intention (Niyyat) of Qurbat (seeking nearness to Allah).

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01131/

wasalam

Thank you.

Both of the links refer to this instance:

Salman and Abu Dharr recited Aliyun Waliyullah in Adhan
There is a Hadeeth regarding the recitation of 'Ali un-Wali Allah' in Adhan even during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet (s), which has been reported by Grand Sunni scholar Abdullah Maraghi Misri in his book al-Salafa fi amr il-khilafa that Hadhrath Salman e Farsi ((رضي الله عنه)) used to declare the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) in Adhan and Iqamat after pledging the Prophethood of Muhammad (s), a man heard him saying that and reported it to the Holy Prophet (s) on which the Prophet (s) replied:
'You have heard the good and virtuous.'
In the very same book it is stated that a man came to the Holy Prophet (s) and reported that Hadhrath Abu Dharr e Ghafari ((رضي الله عنه)) declares the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) after pledging his Prophethood, on hearing this Holy Prophet (s) said:
'You have heard the truth from Abu Dharr. Have you forgotten that I had said on the day of Ghadir e Khum that Ali (عليه السلام) is the lord him everyone whose lord am I.'
We have cited these narrations from two sources:
1. Al-Sideen bayn al-Masail wal Mujeeb, volume 1, page 16, published in Kuwait.
2. Kitab al-Fiqh, volume 3, page 25-26, published in Iran.

That seems like sufficient evidence of it being mustahab. What are the gradings of these Hadith? 

The brother wants to bring his evidence for various things he has found out to the Sunni Imam of his masjid to question/challenge him as well.

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Both of the links refer to this instance:

That seems like sufficient evidence of it being mustahab. What are the gradings of these Hadith? 

The evidence of Wilayah of Imam Ali AS comes from the verse of Qur'an and its relevant hadith as given above in the link at sr. no. 1. The tetx is mentioned below:

Verses proving that 'Ali is the Wali of Allah
[Shakir 5:55] Only Allah is your Vali and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.
The following explanations of the Holy Qur'an state that this divine verse was revealed in honor of Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) when he gave his ring to a beggar whilst he was bowing during prayers.

1. Tafseer e Moza' al-Qur'an, page 108, published in Lahore.
2. Tafseer e Jalalein, on the border, volume 1, page 141, published in Egypt.
3. Tafseer al-Saawi Al al-Jalalein, volume 1, page 253, published in Egypt. 
4. Tafseer e Fatah ul-BaYun, volume 3, page 80, published in Egypt.
5. Tafseer e Fatah ul-Qadeer, volume 2, page 53, published in Egypt.
6. Tafseer ibn e Jareer, volume 6, page 165, published in Egypt.
7. Tafseer ibn e Kaseer, volume 2, page 71, published in Egypt........

........many more

Most of the hadith-scholars have described the tradition given below in the mode of revelation of the verse:
"(Surely your (helping) friend is Allah and His Messenger and (along with them) are the believers who establish prayers, pay zakah and bow down (in humility before Allah)."
"It is narrated by 'Ammar bin Yasir (عليه السلام) that a beggar came up to 'Ali (عليه السلام) and stood beside him. He was kneeling in prayer. He (the beggar) pulled out his ring and he gave the ring to the beggar. Then 'Ali (عليه السلام) called on the Prophet (saww) and told him the news. At this occasion, this verse was revealed to him: (Surely your (helping) friend is Allah and His Messenger and (along with them) are the believers who establish prayers, pay zakah and bow down (in humility before Allah). Allah's Messenger (saww) read out the verse and said: One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master. O Allah! Be his friend who befriends him ('Ali) and be his enemy who is his enemy."
The Ghadir Declaration, By Dr.. Tahir al-Qadiri, Page 48 & 49
His footnote from wherein he cited this narration leaves no doubt that this verse affirms the Wilayath of 'Ali (عليه السلام). He says:
Tabarani related it in al-Mu'jam-ul-awsat (7:129, 130 # 6228), al-Mu'jam-ul-kabir (4:174 # 4053; 5:195, 203, 204 # 5068, 5069, 5092, 5097), and in al-Mu'jam-us-saghir (1:65).
Ahmad bin Hambal narrated it in al-Musnad (1:119; 4:372); Hakim, al-Mustadrak (3:119, 371 # 4576, 5594); Diya' Maqdisi, al-Ahadith-ul-mukhtarah (2:106, 174 # 480, 553); Haythami, Majma'-uz-zawa'id (7:17), Mawarid-uz-zam'an (p.544 # 2205); Ibn Athir, Asad-ul-ghabah fi ma'rifat-is-sahabah (2:362; 3:487); Hindi, Kanz-ul-'ummal (11:332, 333 # 31662; 13:104, 169 # 36340, 36511); and Khatib Baghdadi in Tarikh Baghdad (7:377).
Hindi has written in Kanz-ul-'ummal (11:609 # 32950): Tabarani related this tradition from Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) and twelve Companions (رضي الله عنه), and Imam Ahmad bin Hambal has related it from Abu Ayyub al-Ansari (رضي الله عنه) and a larger number of Companions (رضي الله عنه). Hakim has narrated it from 'Ali (رضي الله عنه) and Talhah (رضي الله عنه) in al-Mustadrak. Imam Ahmad bin Hambal and Tabarani have related this tradition from 'Ali, Zayd bin Arqam and thirty Companions (رضي الله عنه). Abu Nu'aym has copied it from Sa'd in Fadail-us-sahabah and Khatib Baghdadi has copied it from Anas (رضي الله عنه).
Khatib Baghdadi has copied it in Tarikh Baghdad (12:343) from 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas (رضي الله عنه) along with the words: One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master.

As per this verse of the Holy Qur'an, Muslims have three guardians (Wali), Almighty Allah, Holy Prophet (s) and Imam Ali (عليه السلام). By saying "la Ilaha Illallah" we declare the unity of Allah, by saying "Mohammed ar-Rasul Allah" we declare the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (s) and by saying "Ali un-Wali Allah" we declare the guardianship (Wilayat) of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and this is necessary because had it not been done, the one-third of this verse would have been left unpracticed.

[Shakir 5:67] O Messenger! Deliver what has been revealed to you from your Lord; and if you do it not, then you have not delivered His message, and Allah will protect you from the people; surely Allah will not guide the unbelieving people.
The Sunni scholars of Tafseer have confirmed that this verse descended for Hadhrath Ali (عليه السلام) at Ghadir e Khum. Moreover Hadhrath Abdullah ibn e Mas'ud is reported to have said that:
"during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet (s) we used to recite this verse as:

یا ای ھ ا الرسول
بلغ ما انزل
الیک من ربک
اًن علیا مولیٰ
المومنین 

1. Tafseer e Durre Manthur, volume 2, page 298, published in Egypt.
2. Tafseer e Fatah ul-Qadeer, volume 2, page 60, published in Egypt.
3. Tafseer e Fatah ul-BaYun, volume 3, page 89, published in Egypt.
4. Tafseer Mazhari, Volume 3 page 353 published by Daar ul Isha`t Karachi

The above verse declares the guardianship (Wilayat) of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) which was conveyed to everyone by the Holy Prophet (s) when he said: "One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master".
1. Mishkat al Masabeeh, page 565, published in Delhi.
2. Sunan Tirmidhi, volume 2, page 298, published in Egypt.
3. Marqaat Sharh Mashkaat, volume 11, page 349, published in Multan
Hadeeth scholars have accepted that Hadeeth e Ghadir is not only correct and reliable, but have commented that it has many narrators.
1. Marqaat Sharh Mashkaat, volume 11, page 342, published in Multan. 
2. Tazkira al-Hufaaz Zehbi, volume 3, page 231, published in Deccan.
3. Tafseer e Mazhari, volume 3, page 142, published in Delhi.
4. Madarij al-Nabuwat, volume 2, page 521, published in Nolakshoor.
5. Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, page 40 and page 120, published in Egypt.

The Wilayat of Maula 'Ali (عليه السلام) and the perfection of the religion
Just after the declaration of the Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) guardianship, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) revealed the verse "Al yaumu akmaltu lakum deenakum" and made it clear for everyone that though belief in the Unity of Allah, the Prophethood, prayers, fasting, pilgrimage, the payment of poor-rate and jihad already existed, without the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) the Religion cannot be complete and perfect.
Hadhrath Abu Sa'eed al-Khidri has narrated that this verse descended upon the Holy Prophet (s) on the day of Ghadir e Khum when he declared that Ali was the leader of whom ever was he. Abu Hurairah has also narrated it and he has also further said that this verse revealed on 18th of the month of Dhil-Hij when the Holy Prophet (s) returned from Hujjat al-Widah (the last pilgrimage).
1. Tafseer Ibn Katheer, volume 2, page 14, published in Egypt.
2. Tafseer Durre Manthur, volume 2, page 259, published in Egypt.
After the narrations of the two companions Hadhrath Abu Sa'eed and Hadhrath Abu Hurairah it is crystal clear that until the Prophet (s) declared the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) on the day of Ghadir e Khum, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) did not declare the religion to be perfected until this happened. Now, when without the declaration of the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) the religion is incomplete, then how can the Kalima and Adhan of the Muslims be complete without it'

The perfection of faith by the virtue of the Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام)
At the end of another lengthy Hadeeth, the Holy Prophet (s) said:
"Ali is from me and I am from Ali and after me he is the guardian (Wali) of every true believer."
We have taken this Hadeeth from the following revered Sunni works:
1. Sunan Tirmidhi, volume 2, page 298, published in Egypt.
2. Mishkaat al Masabeeh, page 564, published in Delhi.
3. Mustadrak al-Hakim, volume 3, page 111, published by Daira al-Ma'arif, Hyderabad Deccan.
4. Marqaat Sharh Mashkaat, volume 11, page 340, published in Multan.
5. Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, page 122, published in Egypt.
Imam Tirmidhi himself has said "The Hadeeth is Hasan [sound]" in Sunan Tirmidhi, volume 2, page 298 as has Allamah Dhahabi in Meezan al-E'tidaal, volume 1, page 410.
This Hadeeth of the Holy Prophet (s) says that without the acceptance of Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) Wilayat, no one's faith can be perfected. The Shi'a of Maula 'Ali, accordingly recite and declare the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) in our Kalima and Adhan for the perfection of our faith, 

Hadeeth point to the Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام) as being obligatory
Maulana Thana-ullah Panipatti, who is known as "al-Usmani al-Hanafi, al-Mazhari, al-Mujadadi, al-Naqshbandi, says about these two Hadeeth in his Tafseer e Mazhari:
1. One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master
2. after me he is the guardian (Wali) of every true believer.
"These two AHadeeth need more objections then the verse "Inama Wali-kum" because these traditions completely manifest the obligation of acceptance of Wilayat e Ali (عليه السلام).
Tafseer e Mazhari, volume 3, page 143, published in Delhi.

The Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام) is the criteria for honor and dignity
Allama Ibne Hajr Makki in his book Sawaiq al-Muhriqa has reported Umar bin Khattab's saying:
Hadhrath Umar said: "Get to know! No honour reaches the position of excellence without acceptance of Ali as the (Wali) guardian."
Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, page 176, published in Egypt
Everyone shall be questioned about Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام) on the Day of Judgment
Allama ibne Hajr Makki also states in Sawaiq al-Muhriqa (Urdu translation page 503) that on the day of judgment, the Wilayat e Ali (عليه السلام) will also be questioned about, along with the belief in the Unity of Allah, the Prophethood, the revealed books and faith. He writes:
Hadhrath Abu Sa'eed Khidri narrates: "Holy Prophet (s) said that on the day of judgement Allah Almighty will say: Stop them for now, they will be questioned about Wilayat e Ali (as)"
Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, Page 503
Mohib Tabari records the same Hadeeth in:
Riyadh al Nadira Volume 2 page 116
The darling of the Deobandi movement equally admired by the Wahabis Shah Ismail Shaheed echoes the same sentiments in, Mansab e Imamat, page 109-110, published in Lahore. Whilst discussing evidence Wilayat in the next world he says:
We read in Surah Azhab 'The Prophet is aula (authority) to the believers', and in the next world his Wilayat will remain in tact, as Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says 'What will be the position when a witness will be summoned from each Ummah, and you shall be a witness over them [Surah Nisa]. Similarly the Imam has such authority in this world and the next, which is why the Prophet said 'Don't I have more rights over the people than they have over themselves, to which the people replied 'Yes'. The Prophet then said 'Of whomsoever I am Maula, Ali is his Maula'. This is why Allah says in the Qur'an that on the Day of Judgement you will be summoned with your Imam and questioned [Surah Safaath], and the Prophet said that we will asked about the Wilayat of Ali"
Mansab e Imamat, Page 109 & 110

Prophethood (of past Prophets) was dependent upon acknowledging the Wilayath of Maula 'Ali (عليه السلام)
Allama Nishapoori in his Tafseer e Gharaib al-Qur'an's Volume 25 on the border explanation of Tafseer Tabari has reported a Hadeeth of Holy Prophet (s) narrated by Abdullah ibn e Mas'ud whose extract is that:
"When the Chief of Prophets (s) led the prayers and the other Prophet (s) prayed behind him, an Angel descended and said "O Beloved of Allah! Ask these apostles of Allah on what condition they were granted Prophethood." The Holy Prophet (s) got after asking posed the question and he received the following reply "That we accept the Wilayat of you and 'Ali"."
Tafseer e Gharaib al-Qur'an, volume 25, page 58, published in Egypt. (On the border of Tafseer e Ibn e Jareer Tabari

Rasulullah (s) took allegiance from the Sahaba on Maula 'Ali (as)'s Wilayath
We read in Ya Nabi al Mawaddath, volume 2, page 72, published in Beirut.
The Sahabi, Hadhrath Aamir bin Utba al-Jehni narrates: "We paid allegiance to the Prophet (s) on the fact that there is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, Ali is the Vali of Allah and if we retreat from any of these three pledges, we have denied."

The Wilayath of 'Ali (عليه السلام) has been written as Kalima on the highest heavens [Arsh]
Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says in his Glorious Book:
Should they intend to deceive thee, Verily God sufficeth thee. He it is that hath strengthened thee, with His aid (Nusrat) and with the company of the believers"
Surah Anfal: 62
Suyuti in his commentary of this verse narrated from Abu Hurraira that he heard the Prophet (s) say that the Aid (Nusrat) in this Verse is Ali, for he heard:
The Messenger (s) say, that there is an inscription in the seventh sky of heaven:"There is no God but I alone, There is not any equal or partner to me, Muhammad is my servant and my Messenger,Whom I supported by means of Ali"
Tafsir Durre Manthur, by al Hafiz Jalaladeen Suyuti, P 199

Declaration of the Wilayat and Brotherhood of 'Ali (عليه السلام) on the Door of Paradise
We read in Yanabi al-Mawadah, volume 1, page 294, published in Beirut:
Hadhrath Jabir ((رضي الله عنه)) narrates that the Holy Prophet (s) said: "I saw this written on the door of Paradise, There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, Ali is the Wali of Allah and the brother of the Messenger of Allah."
Yanabi al-Mawadah, Volume 1, Page 294
In Riyadh al Nadira, volume 2, page 112, published in Egypt and Dhukhayr al-Uqba, page 66, published in Egypt only the words of brother of the Messenger of Allah are mentioned.
Riyadh al Nadira, Volume 2, Page 112
Hanafi scholar Ibn Jauzi in his work Tadhkirathul Khawwas al Ummah page 30, narrates this Hadeeth on the authority of Jabir (ra):
"The Prophet (s) said to 'Ali, 'O 'Ali, I swear by He who controls my life, verily on the Gate of Heaven there is written 'There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is His Messenger, 'Ali ibne Abi Talib is the brother of the Prophet' this Kalima was inscribed two thousand years before the creation of the Universe".
Modern day Hanafi scholar Mufti Ghulam Rasul in 'Hasab aur Nasab' Volume 1 page 116 has recorded the same Hadeeth on the authority of Jabir from the following esteemed Sunni works:
1. Manaqib 'Ali bin Abi Talib page 91
2. Hilayath al Awliya Volume 7 page 256
3. Tareekh Baghdad Volume 7 page 387
4. Meezan al Itidal Volume 1 page 457, 
5. Dhukhayr al Uqba page 66
6. Mujmaa al Zawaad Volume 9 page 111
7. Tadhkiratul Khawwas al Ummah page 26
8. Kanz al Ummal, Volume 5, Page 36

Maula 'Ali (عليه السلام) is a Kalima that has been declared Wajib upon the believers
Sunni scholar Abu Naeem Isfahani in his esteemed work Hilayath al Awliya, Volume 1, Page 66-67, records this Hadeeth on the authority of the Sahabi Abu Burdah:
"'There is no doubt that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has made a promise to me with regards to 'Ali. I asked my Lord 'What is it'' Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said 'Listen', to which I replied 'I am listening'. Verily Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said 'Ali is the Flag of Guidance, Imam of the Saints, and the Light of Truth for those that follow me, and is that Kalima that has been made compulsory upon the Believers. Whoever loves him, loves me, whoever angers 'Ali, angers Me, O Muhammad convey this good news to 'Ali'"
Hilayath al Awliya, Volume 1, Page 66 & 67
The Sha'afi scholar Maghazali has also recorded the same Hadeeth in his book:
Manaqib Ameerul Momineen, Page 49

There is a Hadeeth regarding the recitation of 'Ali un-Wali Allah' in Adhan even during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet (s), which has been reported by Grand Sunni scholar Abdullah Maraghi Misri in his book al-Salafa fi amr il-khilafa that Hadhrath Salman e Farsi ((رضي الله عنه)) used to declare the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) in Adhan and Iqamat after pledging the Prophethood of Muhammad (s), a man heard him saying that and reported it to the Holy Prophet (s) on which the Prophet (s) replied: 'You have heard the good and virtuous.'
In the very same book it is stated that a man came to the Holy Prophet (s) and reported that Hadhrath Abu Dharr e Ghafari ((رضي الله عنه)) declares the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) after pledging his Prophethood, on hearing this Holy Prophet (s) said:
'You have heard the truth from Abu Dharr. Have you forgotten that I had said on the day of Ghadir e Khum that Ali (عليه السلام) is the lord him everyone whose lord am I.'

The Tradition Of Ghadir Khum Is Parallel (Mutawatir)

https://www.al-Islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/ghadir-khum-part-3#tradition-ghadir-khum-parallel-mutawatir

The Tradition Of Ghadir Khum Is Authentic (Sahih)

https://www.al-Islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/ghadir-khum-part-3#tradition-ghadir-khum-authentic-sahih

https://www.al-Islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/ghadir-khum-part-3

• Advanced Member
54 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Thanks, he is not looking for proof of wilayah of Imam Ali as, rather why aliyun waliyullah being said in adhan and iqamah is not bidah when the Prophets not Imams recited it. 

Assalaamualeykum, 

This hadeeth is probably the one which makes 3rd shahadah mustahab to say in adhan and Iqamah, I am quoting hadeeth from brother nader zaveri's blog, you can read his complete article from this link: http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/06/3rd-testimony-in-adhaan-and-iqaamah.html

و روى القاسم بن معاوية قال قلت لأبي عبد الله ع هؤلاء يروون حديثا في معراجهم أنه لما أسري برسول الله رأى على العرش مكتوبا لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله أبو بكر الصديق فقال سبحان الله غيروا كل شي‏ء حتى هذا قلت نعم قال إن الله عز و جل لما خلق العرش كتب عليه لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل الماء كتب في مجراه لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل الكرسي كتب على قوائمه لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل اللوح كتب فيه لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله إسرافيل كتب على جبهته لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله جبرئيل كتب على جناحيه لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل السماوات كتب في أكنافها لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل الأرضين كتب في أطباقها لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل الجبال كتب في رءوسها لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل الشمس كتب عليها لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و لما خلق الله عز و جل القمر كتب عليه لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله علي أمير المؤمنين و هو السواد الذي ترونه في القمر فإذا قال أحدكم لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله فليقل علي أمير المؤمنين
Translation: I said to Aboo 'Abd Allaah (6th Imaam), that they (sunnees) trasmit a tradtion in their [books about] mi'raaj, that when the Prophet (SAWAS) was taken on the night of ascension he saw writing on the throne which read, "There is no God, but Allaah, Muhammad is the Prophet of God and Aboo Bakr is the truthful one." Imaam Al-Saadiq (عليه السلام) said: "SubHaanallaah (Glory be to Allaah), they have changed EVERYTHING including this?" Al-Qaasim said: "Yes", Imaam Saadiq (عليه السلام) said: "When Allaah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), created the throne he wrote on it: "There is no God, but Allaah and Muhammad is the Prophet of Allaah and 'Alee is Ameer Al-Mu-mineen......the tradtion goes on until Imaam Saadiq (عليه السلام) at the end says this..."Whenever one of you recites the Shahadatayn, say 'Alee is Ameer Al-Mu'mineen."
Source:
1. Al-Tabarasee, Al-Ihtijaaj, vol. 1, pg. 158
2. Al-Majlisi, Bihaar Al-Anwaar, vol. 27, ch. 10, pg. 1, hadeeth #1
3. Al-Majlisi, Bihaar Al-Anwaar, vol. 81, ch. 13, pg. 112, hadeeth #1

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, Aquib Rizvi said:

Assalaamualeykum, 

This hadeeth is probably the one which makes 3rd shahadah mustahab to say in adhan and Iqamah, I am quoting hadeeth from brother nader zaveri's blog, you can read his complete article from this link: http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/06/3rd-testimony-in-adhaan-and-iqaamah.html

Thanks! I had skimmed through that blog post but missed this part. 

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Assalaamu alaikum,

Here we go again, I know this is a topic already discussed multiple times but I could not find anything helpful in previous threads I read. 

Someone we know is a fairly recent convert to Islam, of course became Sunni first, but because of guidance from Allah and influence from some Shias is slowly realizing the haqq of Shia Islam. One question he has is about the 3rd Kalimah. 

Salam, 

From my understanding, its not mustahhab in the sense that the Imams legislated us to recite it as a mustahhab saying of the adhan and iqamah. Im guessing its mustahhab in the sense that whenever you mention and praise the Prophet (s), you should also praise his family and in specific Imam Ali (a).

Just like with Konday in this thread it was explained:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235061612-kounday-during-menstruation/?tab=comments#comment-3206824

that celebrating it with the intention that you will get closer to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for inviting believers and feeding them is perfectly fine. But, if you invite people with the intention that the Imams specified this as a day where it is mustahhab to invite believers and feed them, then it becomes bidah.

Also, even if there was no evidence for the third kalimah, it wouldn't be bidah unless someone actually says that the Prophet or Imams prescribed it. We have the principle that everything is halal, until proven haram. 

Edited by Follower of Ahlulbayt
  • Veteran Member
3 hours ago, Follower of Ahlul Bayt said:

Also, even if there was no evidence for the third kalimah, it wouldn't be bidah unless someone actually says that the Prophet or Imams prescribed it. We have the principle that everything is halal, until proven haram. 

Well.... We call the part Umar added, "prayer is better than sleep" bidah although everyone knows he is the one attributed to it. So one asks oneself why is that frowned upon but not the adding of 3rd Kalimah. But you make a good point in the first part of your post. Thx!

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Well.... We call the part Umar added, "prayer is better than sleep" bidah although everyone knows he is the one attributed to it. So one asks oneself why is that frowned upon but not the adding of 3rd Kalimah. But you make a good point in the first part of your post. Thx!

The recitation of 'Ali yun Waliyullah' is the Sunnah of Prophet, Imams and companions, established well before the caliphs rule.

Edited by Muslim2010
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, ireallywannaknow said:

Assalaamu alaikum,

show me laila ila Allah Muhammad ur rasolallah in Qur'an.

• Advanced Member
On 6/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, Muslim2010 said:

The evidence of Wilayah of Imam Ali AS comes from the verse of Qur'an and its relevant hadith as given above in the link at sr. no. 1. The tetx is mentioned below:

Verses proving that 'Ali is the Wali of Allah
[Shakir 5:55] Only Allah is your Vali and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.
The following explanations of the Holy Qur'an state that this divine verse was revealed in honor of Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) when he gave his ring to a beggar whilst he was bowing during prayers.

1. Tafseer e Moza' al-Qur'an, page 108, published in Lahore.
2. Tafseer e Jalalein, on the border, volume 1, page 141, published in Egypt.
3. Tafseer al-Saawi Al al-Jalalein, volume 1, page 253, published in Egypt. 
4. Tafseer e Fatah ul-BaYun, volume 3, page 80, published in Egypt.
5. Tafseer e Fatah ul-Qadeer, volume 2, page 53, published in Egypt.
6. Tafseer ibn e Jareer, volume 6, page 165, published in Egypt.
7. Tafseer ibn e Kaseer, volume 2, page 71, published in Egypt........

........many more

Most of the hadith-scholars have described the tradition given below in the mode of revelation of the verse:
"(Surely your (helping) friend is Allah and His Messenger and (along with them) are the believers who establish prayers, pay zakah and bow down (in humility before Allah)."
"It is narrated by 'Ammar bin Yasir (عليه السلام) that a beggar came up to 'Ali (عليه السلام) and stood beside him. He was kneeling in prayer. He (the beggar) pulled out his ring and he gave the ring to the beggar. Then 'Ali (عليه السلام) called on the Prophet (saww) and told him the news. At this occasion, this verse was revealed to him: (Surely your (helping) friend is Allah and His Messenger and (along with them) are the believers who establish prayers, pay zakah and bow down (in humility before Allah). Allah's Messenger (saww) read out the verse and said: One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master. O Allah! Be his friend who befriends him ('Ali) and be his enemy who is his enemy."
The Ghadir Declaration, By Dr... Tahir al-Qadiri, Page 48 & 49
His footnote from wherein he cited this narration leaves no doubt that this verse affirms the Wilayath of 'Ali (عليه السلام). He says:
Tabarani related it in al-Mu'jam-ul-awsat (7:129, 130 # 6228), al-Mu'jam-ul-kabir (4:174 # 4053; 5:195, 203, 204 # 5068, 5069, 5092, 5097), and in al-Mu'jam-us-saghir (1:65).
Ahmad bin Hambal narrated it in al-Musnad (1:119; 4:372); Hakim, al-Mustadrak (3:119, 371 # 4576, 5594); Diya' Maqdisi, al-Ahadith-ul-mukhtarah (2:106, 174 # 480, 553); Haythami, Majma'-uz-zawa'id (7:17), Mawarid-uz-zam'an (p.544 # 2205); Ibn Athir, Asad-ul-ghabah fi ma'rifat-is-sahabah (2:362; 3:487); Hindi, Kanz-ul-'ummal (11:332, 333 # 31662; 13:104, 169 # 36340, 36511); and Khatib Baghdadi in Tarikh Baghdad (7:377).
Hindi has written in Kanz-ul-'ummal (11:609 # 32950): Tabarani related this tradition from Abu Hurayrah (رضي الله عنه) and twelve Companions (رضي الله عنه), and Imam Ahmad bin Hambal has related it from Abu Ayyub al-Ansari (رضي الله عنه) and a larger number of Companions (رضي الله عنه). Hakim has narrated it from 'Ali (رضي الله عنه) and Talhah (رضي الله عنه) in al-Mustadrak. Imam Ahmad bin Hambal and Tabarani have related this tradition from 'Ali, Zayd bin Arqam and thirty Companions (رضي الله عنه). Abu Nu'aym has copied it from Sa'd in Fadail-us-sahabah and Khatib Baghdadi has copied it from Anas (رضي الله عنه).
Khatib Baghdadi has copied it in Tarikh Baghdad (12:343) from 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas (رضي الله عنه) along with the words: One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master.

As per this verse of the Holy Qur'an, Muslims have three guardians (Wali), Almighty Allah, Holy Prophet (s) and Imam Ali (عليه السلام). By saying "la Ilaha Illallah" we declare the unity of Allah, by saying "Mohammed ar-Rasul Allah" we declare the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (s) and by saying "Ali un-Wali Allah" we declare the guardianship (Wilayat) of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and this is necessary because had it not been done, the one-third of this verse would have been left unpracticed.

[Shakir 5:67] O Messenger! Deliver what has been revealed to you from your Lord; and if you do it not, then you have not delivered His message, and Allah will protect you from the people; surely Allah will not guide the unbelieving people.
The Sunni scholars of Tafseer have confirmed that this verse descended for Hadhrath Ali (عليه السلام) at Ghadir e Khum. Moreover Hadhrath Abdullah ibn e Mas'ud is reported to have said that:
"during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet (s) we used to recite this verse as:

یا ای ھ ا الرسول
بلغ ما انزل
الیک من ربک
اًن علیا مولیٰ
المومنین 

1. Tafseer e Durre Manthur, volume 2, page 298, published in Egypt.
2. Tafseer e Fatah ul-Qadeer, volume 2, page 60, published in Egypt.
3. Tafseer e Fatah ul-BaYun, volume 3, page 89, published in Egypt.
4. Tafseer Mazhari, Volume 3 page 353 published by Daar ul Isha`t Karachi

The above verse declares the guardianship (Wilayat) of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) which was conveyed to everyone by the Holy Prophet (s) when he said: "One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master".
1. Mishkat al Masabeeh, page 565, published in Delhi.
2. Sunan Tirmidhi, volume 2, page 298, published in Egypt.
3. Marqaat Sharh Mashkaat, volume 11, page 349, published in Multan
Hadeeth scholars have accepted that Hadeeth e Ghadir is not only correct and reliable, but have commented that it has many narrators.
1. Marqaat Sharh Mashkaat, volume 11, page 342, published in Multan. 
2. Tazkira al-Hufaaz Zehbi, volume 3, page 231, published in Deccan.
3. Tafseer e Mazhari, volume 3, page 142, published in Delhi.
4. Madarij al-Nabuwat, volume 2, page 521, published in Nolakshoor.
5. Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, page 40 and page 120, published in Egypt.

The Wilayat of Maula 'Ali (عليه السلام) and the perfection of the religion
Just after the declaration of the Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) guardianship, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) revealed the verse "Al yaumu akmaltu lakum deenakum" and made it clear for everyone that though belief in the Unity of Allah, the Prophethood, prayers, fasting, pilgrimage, the payment of poor-rate and jihad already existed, without the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) the Religion cannot be complete and perfect.
Hadhrath Abu Sa'eed al-Khidri has narrated that this verse descended upon the Holy Prophet (s) on the day of Ghadir e Khum when he declared that Ali was the leader of whom ever was he. Abu Hurairah has also narrated it and he has also further said that this verse revealed on 18th of the month of Dhil-Hij when the Holy Prophet (s) returned from Hujjat al-Widah (the last pilgrimage).
1. Tafseer Ibn Katheer, volume 2, page 14, published in Egypt.
2. Tafseer Durre Manthur, volume 2, page 259, published in Egypt.
After the narrations of the two companions Hadhrath Abu Sa'eed and Hadhrath Abu Hurairah it is crystal clear that until the Prophet (s) declared the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) on the day of Ghadir e Khum, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) did not declare the religion to be perfected until this happened. Now, when without the declaration of the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) the religion is incomplete, then how can the Kalima and Adhan of the Muslims be complete without it'

The perfection of faith by the virtue of the Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام)
At the end of another lengthy Hadeeth, the Holy Prophet (s) said:
"Ali is from me and I am from Ali and after me he is the guardian (Wali) of every true believer."
We have taken this Hadeeth from the following revered Sunni works:
1. Sunan Tirmidhi, volume 2, page 298, published in Egypt.
2. Mishkaat al Masabeeh, page 564, published in Delhi.
3. Mustadrak al-Hakim, volume 3, page 111, published by Daira al-Ma'arif, Hyderabad Deccan.
4. Marqaat Sharh Mashkaat, volume 11, page 340, published in Multan.
5. Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, page 122, published in Egypt.
Imam Tirmidhi himself has said "The Hadeeth is Hasan [sound]" in Sunan Tirmidhi, volume 2, page 298 as has Allamah Dhahabi in Meezan al-E'tidaal, volume 1, page 410.
This Hadeeth of the Holy Prophet (s) says that without the acceptance of Imam Ali's (عليه السلام) Wilayat, no one's faith can be perfected. The Shi'a of Maula 'Ali, accordingly recite and declare the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) in our Kalima and Adhan for the perfection of our faith, 

Hadeeth point to the Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام) as being obligatory
Maulana Thana-ullah Panipatti, who is known as "al-Usmani al-Hanafi, al-Mazhari, al-Mujadadi, al-Naqshbandi, says about these two Hadeeth in his Tafseer e Mazhari:
1. One who has me as his master has 'Ali as his master
2. after me he is the guardian (Wali) of every true believer.
"These two AHadeeth need more objections then the verse "Inama Wali-kum" because these traditions completely manifest the obligation of acceptance of Wilayat e Ali (عليه السلام).
Tafseer e Mazhari, volume 3, page 143, published in Delhi.

The Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام) is the criteria for honor and dignity
Allama Ibne Hajr Makki in his book Sawaiq al-Muhriqa has reported Umar bin Khattab's saying:
Hadhrath Umar said: "Get to know! No honour reaches the position of excellence without acceptance of Ali as the (Wali) guardian."
Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, page 176, published in Egypt
Everyone shall be questioned about Wilayat of 'Ali (عليه السلام) on the Day of Judgment
Allama ibne Hajr Makki also states in Sawaiq al-Muhriqa (Urdu translation page 503) that on the day of judgment, the Wilayat e Ali (عليه السلام) will also be questioned about, along with the belief in the Unity of Allah, the Prophethood, the revealed books and faith. He writes:
Hadhrath Abu Sa'eed Khidri narrates: "Holy Prophet (s) said that on the day of judgement Allah Almighty will say: Stop them for now, they will be questioned about Wilayat e Ali (as)"
Sawaiq al-Muhriqa, Page 503
Mohib Tabari records the same Hadeeth in:
Riyadh al Nadira Volume 2 page 116
The darling of the Deobandi movement equally admired by the Wahabis Shah Ismail Shaheed echoes the same sentiments in, Mansab e Imamat, page 109-110, published in Lahore. Whilst discussing evidence Wilayat in the next world he says:
We read in Surah Azhab 'The Prophet is aula (authority) to the believers', and in the next world his Wilayat will remain in tact, as Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says 'What will be the position when a witness will be summoned from each Ummah, and you shall be a witness over them [Surah Nisa]. Similarly the Imam has such authority in this world and the next, which is why the Prophet said 'Don't I have more rights over the people than they have over themselves, to which the people replied 'Yes'. The Prophet then said 'Of whomsoever I am Maula, Ali is his Maula'. This is why Allah says in the Qur'an that on the Day of Judgement you will be summoned with your Imam and questioned [Surah Safaath], and the Prophet said that we will asked about the Wilayat of Ali"
Mansab e Imamat, Page 109 & 110

Prophethood (of past Prophets) was dependent upon acknowledging the Wilayath of Maula 'Ali (عليه السلام)
Allama Nishapoori in his Tafseer e Gharaib al-Qur'an's Volume 25 on the border explanation of Tafseer Tabari has reported a Hadeeth of Holy Prophet (s) narrated by Abdullah ibn e Mas'ud whose extract is that:
"When the Chief of Prophets (s) led the prayers and the other Prophet (s) prayed behind him, an Angel descended and said "O Beloved of Allah! Ask these apostles of Allah on what condition they were granted Prophethood." The Holy Prophet (s) got after asking posed the question and he received the following reply "That we accept the Wilayat of you and 'Ali"."
Tafseer e Gharaib al-Qur'an, volume 25, page 58, published in Egypt. (On the border of Tafseer e Ibn e Jareer Tabari

Rasulullah (s) took allegiance from the Sahaba on Maula 'Ali (as)'s Wilayath
We read in Ya Nabi al Mawaddath, volume 2, page 72, published in Beirut.
The Sahabi, Hadhrath Aamir bin Utba al-Jehni narrates: "We paid allegiance to the Prophet (s) on the fact that there is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, Ali is the Vali of Allah and if we retreat from any of these three pledges, we have denied."

The Wilayath of 'Ali (عليه السلام) has been written as Kalima on the highest heavens [Arsh]
Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says in his Glorious Book:
Should they intend to deceive thee, Verily God sufficeth thee. He it is that hath strengthened thee, with His aid (Nusrat) and with the company of the believers"
Surah Anfal: 62
Suyuti in his commentary of this verse narrated from Abu Hurraira that he heard the Prophet (s) say that the Aid (Nusrat) in this Verse is Ali, for he heard:
The Messenger (s) say, that there is an inscription in the seventh sky of heaven:"There is no God but I alone, There is not any equal or partner to me, Muhammad is my servant and my Messenger,Whom I supported by means of Ali"
Tafsir Durre Manthur, by al Hafiz Jalaladeen Suyuti, P 199

Declaration of the Wilayat and Brotherhood of 'Ali (عليه السلام) on the Door of Paradise
We read in Yanabi al-Mawadah, volume 1, page 294, published in Beirut:
Hadhrath Jabir ((رضي الله عنه)) narrates that the Holy Prophet (s) said: "I saw this written on the door of Paradise, There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, Ali is the Wali of Allah and the brother of the Messenger of Allah."
Yanabi al-Mawadah, Volume 1, Page 294
In Riyadh al Nadira, volume 2, page 112, published in Egypt and Dhukhayr al-Uqba, page 66, published in Egypt only the words of brother of the Messenger of Allah are mentioned.
Riyadh al Nadira, Volume 2, Page 112
Hanafi scholar Ibn Jauzi in his work Tadhkirathul Khawwas al Ummah page 30, narrates this Hadeeth on the authority of Jabir (ra):
"The Prophet (s) said to 'Ali, 'O 'Ali, I swear by He who controls my life, verily on the Gate of Heaven there is written 'There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is His Messenger, 'Ali ibne Abi Talib is the brother of the Prophet' this Kalima was inscribed two thousand years before the creation of the Universe".
Modern day Hanafi scholar Mufti Ghulam Rasul in 'Hasab aur Nasab' Volume 1 page 116 has recorded the same Hadeeth on the authority of Jabir from the following esteemed Sunni works:
1. Manaqib 'Ali bin Abi Talib page 91
2. Hilayath al Awliya Volume 7 page 256
3. Tareekh Baghdad Volume 7 page 387
4. Meezan al Itidal Volume 1 page 457, 
5. Dhukhayr al Uqba page 66
6. Mujmaa al Zawaad Volume 9 page 111
7. Tadhkiratul Khawwas al Ummah page 26
8. Kanz al Ummal, Volume 5, Page 36

Maula 'Ali (عليه السلام) is a Kalima that has been declared Wajib upon the believers
Sunni scholar Abu Naeem Isfahani in his esteemed work Hilayath al Awliya, Volume 1, Page 66-67, records this Hadeeth on the authority of the Sahabi Abu Burdah:
"'There is no doubt that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has made a promise to me with regards to 'Ali. I asked my Lord 'What is it'' Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said 'Listen', to which I replied 'I am listening'. Verily Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said 'Ali is the Flag of Guidance, Imam of the Saints, and the Light of Truth for those that follow me, and is that Kalima that has been made compulsory upon the Believers. Whoever loves him, loves me, whoever angers 'Ali, angers Me, O Muhammad convey this good news to 'Ali'"
Hilayath al Awliya, Volume 1, Page 66 & 67
The Sha'afi scholar Maghazali has also recorded the same Hadeeth in his book:
Manaqib Ameerul Momineen, Page 49

There is a Hadeeth regarding the recitation of 'Ali un-Wali Allah' in Adhan even during the lifetime of the Holy Prophet (s), which has been reported by Grand Sunni scholar Abdullah Maraghi Misri in his book al-Salafa fi amr il-khilafa that Hadhrath Salman e Farsi ((رضي الله عنه)) used to declare the Wilayat of Ali (عليه السلام) in Adhan and Iqamat after pledging the Prophethood of Muhammad (s), a man heard him saying that and reported it to the Holy Prophet (s) on which the Prophet (s) replied: 'You have heard the good and virtuous.'

The Tradition Of Ghadir Khum Is Parallel (Mutawatir)

https://www.al-Islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/ghadir-khum-part-3#tradition-ghadir-khum-parallel-mutawatir

The Tradition Of Ghadir Khum Is Authentic (Sahih)

https://www.al-Islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/ghadir-khum-part-3#tradition-ghadir-khum-authentic-sahih

https://www.al-Islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/ghadir-khum-part-3

Proving Wilayah is one thing, but proving 'Aliyun Waliullah' in the adhan is separate. Just because the statement is true does not mean we can append to the adhan. With this logic, we can also add 'Ashaduanna Hussain (عليه السلام) Syed al-Shohda' or 'Ashaduanna Fatima (عليه السلام) Sayedatun Nisa'. I believe truly that if it was indeed mustahab as claimed, Rasool Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) surely wouldnt have left without advising the Ummah to say it.

• Veteran Member
17 minutes ago, 786:) said:

Proving Wilayah is one thing, but proving 'Aliyun Waliullah' in the adhan is separate.

We both agree to the Wilayah of Imams from the progeny of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) known as Ahl albayat (عليه السلام)

Regarding the Aliyun Waliullah' in the adhan I am of the opinion that it is mustehab in the light of hadith and sayings of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) as interpreted by scholars. You do have right to disagree on it.

wasalam