Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
~RuQaYaH~

'Western sounding' Muslim baby boy names

Rate this topic

47 minutes ago, starlight said:

I am sorry you were bullied in school, but what they made fun of what your weight really not your name?

Well I was known as Jaffacake, I never knew why but in the end I just accepted it back then as a way to insult my weight. But I have no idea what was running though the minds of people. 

Even my first name Ali, was transformed into ila.. Pure stupidity. Such a simple name and they still found a way. Obviously it is easier for them to make fun of certain names than others, which is what I was advising our fellow ShiaChat of above.... 

Just now, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Even then prob named after the Imam than the Messenger 

The Imam (عليه السلام) himself was named after Prophet Musa (عليه السلام) so it's okay. :D

2 hours ago, Ali~J said:

Well forgive me for being a vulnerable child who was carefree back in the day. 

The name is important. My surname is Jaffery and do you know what I was know as because of this. I was known as Jaffacake in relation to myself being weight, but I pulled myself together and changed my body and health completely it took some years. And now I am left alone (most of the time) they still know I'm a friendly giant who is still emotionally vulnerable. Let's trade places so you could see how felt. 

Tubby fellas have a hero now, a Heavyweight Champ who dethroned a muscular archetype fighter

14357558-0-image-a-8_1559660231499.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

Obviously it is easier for them to make fun of certain names than others, which is what I was advising our fellow ShiaChat of above

Yeah, like Khalil Butt.

I really am very sorry you had to go through all that.Bullies are insecure weak people hiding behind a mask of rudeness.

The name of a person can really make a great impact on their personality because it affect the way that the people around them react to them as well as the society in which they live in.

Thats why choosing a western sounding name is probably one of the worst favors you could possibly do for your Muslim child.

And that's why, if I have a son in the future, I will name him Muslim inshaAllah. So that people who dislike Islam, will dislike him and greet him in a unfriendly manner and that people who like Islam will like him and greet him in a friendly manner. He will in turn most likely like those who like him and thus his personality will be affected by those he spends time with, which will most likely be those who like him and he likes back.

Of course the name of a person does not mean that they will have faith, but for sure 100% it will affect how society treats them which in turn will most likely affect the person they become.

Edited by IbnSina

Congratulations!

I would suggest:

Rayan. This name is one of the doors to heaven and can also be pronounced Ryan by westerners.

Adam. The perfect balance between Arabic and the West.

Elias. In Arabic it would be pronounced Elyaas and in English Elias.

Benjamin. In Arabic it would be Benyameen and in English Benjamin.

Edited by Tamy

Guest Reyam

Keyyan  is unique and it sounds western. I think. I think Kenyan was a companion of mukhtar (the person who tried to avenge Imam Hussein’s  (عليه السلام). Death) 

Thank you all so much for your suggestions....was already aware of most of the suggested names but there's been a couple of new ones. I am really liking the name Keyan, will need to take it to hubby to see what he thinks - meanwhile, does anyone know any more about this name? Is it of Arabic origin or only Persian origin? I did find this link which says that it's an indirect Quranic name: http://quranicnames.com/keyan/  ........however, it's the only thing I can find claiming it's Arabic/from the Qur'an, everything else suggests it's a Persian name. Interestingly, it's also apparently a Gaelic name meaning God is gracious which is lovely. And yes, I understand that there's no Islamic requirement that our childrens' names be of Arabic origin or be in the Qur'an, it's just a personal preference. 

Also and separately, does anyone know what the name Zakariya actually means? Obviously it's the name of a Prophet and from my research it means 'God has remembered' in Hebrew but is there a separate Arabic meaning of the name (I can't find one)? Or is there only the Hebrew meaning given Prophet Zakariya was around the time of Nabi Isa (عليه السلام)?

Thanks all and feel free to keep the suggestions coming!!!

Edited by ~RuQaYaH~

39 minutes ago, ~RuQaYaH~ said:

Also and separately, does anyone know what the name Zakariya actually means? Obviously it's the name of a Prophet and from my research it means 'God has remembered' in Hebrew but is there a separate Arabic meaning of the name (I can't find one)? 

Hebrew and Arabic share common roots. In most cases the meaning of names will be the same in both. 

1 hour ago, ~RuQaYaH~ said:

Also and separately, does anyone know what the name Zakariya actually means? Obviously it's the name of a Prophet and from my research it means 'God has remembered' in Hebrew but is there a separate Arabic meaning of the name (I can't find one)? 

My immediate thought was that it shared the same root with dhikr which of course means rememberance but it's from za-ka-ra not dha-ka-ra.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

22 hours ago, starlight said:

Sarah

What’s wrong with Sarah? The correct/classic way to spell it is Sarah, not Sara. (I may be biased because that’s my name. Lol.)

7 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

What’s wrong with Sarah? The correct/classic way to spell it is Sarah, not Sara. (I may be biased because that’s my name. Lol.)

Nothing wrong with the name. In Pakistan, the usual way is to pronounce 'Saara'(similar to car-a) but the people who wanted to appear more westernised in my rich upper class school chose to call their daughters  'SAIR Uh" (the british way). It's like you say 'Mu-haam-eD with a hard d sound instead of Mohammed or Daniel instead of Daniyaal. It irks me when people try and do fake accents. 

1 hour ago, starlight said:

s  'SAIR Uh" (the british way

I pronounce my name Sair-uh, because that’s how we pronounce the name in American English. I think it’s just languages. Like Hannah in Persian is HAA-Na, whereas in English it’s pronounced HAN-Nuh. 

But if people in Pakistan name their daughters Sair-ah (Sarah) then they are just want to-be Americans. 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, ~RuQaYaH~ said:

So for example, I wouldn't be ok with calling my son Jacob even though it is the Western equivalent of Yaqub, because they sound very different and Jacob just sounds really Anglo to me, which I want to avoid.

I feel personally attacked, lol. But in all seriousness, Jakob and Yhakov sound closer to Yaqub than Jacob does. The J is a y sound in German. These are also "Western" names, I think you might want rephrase your question as "Which Arab names sound closest to their English counterparts?"

On 6/8/2019 at 5:23 AM, Gaius I. Caesar said:

I feel personally attacked, lol. But in all seriousness, Jakob and Yhakov sound closer to Yaqub than Jacob does. The J is a y sound in German. These are also "Western" names, I think you might want rephrase your question as "Which Arab names sound closest to their English counterparts?"

lol don't be, I actually really like the sound of the English version Jacob but just wouldn't feel right using the name......and yes, I suppose that is my question (though ideally Arab names with some Islamic significance but potentially even just Eastern names that sound close to English counterparts provided they have a good meaning.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:46 AM, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

My immediate thought was that it shared the same root with dhikr which of course means rememberance but it's from za-ka-ra not dha-ka-ra.

Yeah that's true, although interesting that in Hebrew the name means 'God has remembered'....coincidence?

On 6/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, ~RuQaYaH~ said:

Also and separately, does anyone know what the name Zakariya actually means? Obviously it's the name of a Prophet and from my research it means 'God has remembered' in Hebrew but is there a separate Arabic meaning of the name (I can't find one)? Or is there only the Hebrew meaning given Prophet Zakariya was around the time of Nabi Isa (عليه السلام)?

You have the Hebrew meaning correct, it's a compound theophonic name meaning "YHWH has remembered" (YHWH being the tetragrammaton, or God's four-letter Hebrew name, the -ya ending being from this name as it's found in other similar names, e.g. Abijah, the "Zakar-" beginning being from the Hebrew verb zaakhar, to remember, cognates with Arabic dhakara). This word is Arabized, though, from Hebrew (not sure if by way of an intermediary language because it does look pretty much the same as it does in Hebrew) and doesn't further break into individual Arabic components which mean something on their own, Zakhar+ya don't mean something in Arabic on their own I suppose aside from the inherited meaning ذكر الله, God has remembered, but that's for the name as a whole. As such there really isn't any Arabic meaning to the name beyond what's been inherited.

If you want Biblical-sounding Arabic names my friend's nephew is named Elias. His white friends will pronounce it their way and this might also be read as a rather interesting way to transliterate the Arabic name (of the same Hebrew origins as the English one, Eliyahu or YHWH is my God), Ilyas. If you went with a transliteration of these names you might have an easier time, e.g. Yosef (an interesting name because I've never seen a non-real verb used as a name, it means "may he add/increase") instead of Joseph, but people might think he's either a Jew or he's from some Eastern Bloc country.

I, however, plan on giving my son, if Allah gives me the tawfiq for one in the future, the most Arabic name I can. Currently Urayqit (leopard cub) is a good contender. I also like those Persian compound names, Chiragh-Ali was one I remember catching my interest once but Payam-Muhammad is one that's started to appeal to me.

14 hours ago, Jannat786 said:

Jaun (sounds like John). One of Imam Hussain’s companions at Karbala. I’ve met some kids at the mosque with the name Ali Jaun or just Jaun. 

Congratulation btw!

Is Jaun an alternative spelling of the Farsi/Urdu word Jaan?

8 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

I don’t know how it’s pronounced in Farsi but you can’t spell Jaan as Jaun in Urdu since it’ll be pronounced differently. J-aww-n (Jaun) and J-aaa-n (jaan) 

8 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Here is how it is written  جون ایلیا‎  (Jaun elia was Pakistani poet)