Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Don’t say God is “Greater than everything”??

Rate this topic

Guest Enquirer

Can someone explain what the Sheikh means in this lecture?

God is not separate from His creation just like our thoughts are not separate from us? He quotes a tradition in al Kafi that it is wrong to say God is greater than everything. And we’ve been teaching tauheed wrong to our children. This 

is a new revelation to me.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Guest Enquirer said:

God is not separate from His creation just like our thoughts are not separate from us? He quotes a tradition in al Kafi that it is wrong to say God is greater than everything. And we’ve been teaching tauheed wrong to our children. This 

is a new revelation to me.

A very good lecture. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest Enquirer said:

God is not separate from His creation just like our thoughts are not separate from us? 

As per my knowledge it is true.

3 hours ago, Guest Enquirer said:

And we’ve been teaching tauheed wrong to our children. 

True.

• Advanced Member
On 6/3/2019 at 11:46 AM, Guest Enquirer said:

God is not separate from His creation just like our thoughts are not separate from us? He quotes a tradition in al Kafi that it is wrong to say God is greater than everything. And we’ve been teaching tauheed wrong to our children. This is a new revelation to me.

Wa aleykumsalaam,

It is true, When you are saying Allah is greater than everything you are comparing Allah with everything, hence you are limiting him. how can a person compare Allah if he cannot comprehend in his mind therefore Imam asked us to say "Allah is greater than that he be described".

حدثنا محمد بن موسى بن المتوكل، قال: حدثني محمد بن بحيى العطار، عن سهل بن زياد، عن ابن محبوب، عمن ذكره، عن أبي عبدالله عليه السلام قال: قال رجل عنده: " الله أكبر " فقال: الله أكبر من أي شئ؟ فقال: من كل شئ. فقال أبوعبدالله عليه السلام: حددته! فقال الرجل: وكيف أقول؟ فقال: الله أكبر من أن يوصف

A man was with Imam Ja`far as-Sadiq [a] when someone said "Allahu Akbar" (God is greater). The man said, "Allah is greater than which thing?" The person said: "Everything". Imam as-Sadiq [a] said: "You have limited Him." So the man said: "How then should I say?" So he [a] said: "Allah is greater than that He be described."

Source: Kitab al-Tawheed by Shaykh Saduq, Vol 1, Pg 313, H 2.