In the Name of God بسم الله

Eid Moon Sighting Question

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaamu Alaykum,

So eid is coming up, and I had a question:

I am a follower of Sayed Khamenei, who allows use of telescope sighting. I live in South Western Ontario, so I share a horizon with places along the west coast of the United States, who are predicted to be able to sight the moon with a telescope.

So, my question is:

In a hypothetical situation, if there are reports of sightings among the west coast (with a telescope), which are verified by, for example, moonsighters.com, or other sites/organizations, but Sayed Khamenei's office/representative does not announce eid, do I celebrate eid, or do I wait for the day after to celebrate, since he did not announce it?

Jazzakum Allah Kheyr

Guest Bakery

For Eids, Arbaeen, and Ashura days, just follow your larger Shia community in your area. No need to plant your own stand there.

Najaf and Qom has over 10 Marajae’ combined, but there always is one day for Eids, Ashura, or other such events. For sure there are Marajae’ who differ on the moon sighting opinion there, but I’ve never heard two Eids or two Ashuras celebrated in the cities where they live. 

These events are about community so be a part of one. 

• Advanced Member

Salaam, 

Sayed Ali Khamenei's office will not announce for Western regions. They let their local representatives handle regional sightings. 

Southern Ontario will almost be a certainty, given the fact that we share the same horizon as the southern United States, and the fact that we are allowed to use a telescope. 

I would most certainly confirm with your local representative however. 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, blazini said:

Salaam, 

Sayed Ali Khamenei's office will not announce for Western regions. They let their local representatives handle regional sightings. 

Southern Ontario will almost be a certainty, given the fact that we share the same horizon as the southern United States, and the fact that we are allowed to use a telescope. 

Do you know who their local representatives are? Or where I could get the news?

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Hassan- said:

Our mosque committee today went out to the roof with telescopes to sight the moon, but it could not be seen. Therefore we concluded that  eid will be on Wednesday for eastern North America.

Where are you located?

• Veteran Member
12 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

Our mosque committee today went out to the roof with telescopes to sight the moon, but it could not be seen. Therefore we concluded that  eid will be on Wednesday for eastern North America.

What if another mosque in the eastern North American region spotted the moon?  Or even a non-Muslim.  What would y'all do?

I'm curious how different people deal with all the differing opinions on what's required to declare Eid.  I'm currently living in a city without a Shia community, and the local Sunni community is going with Eid tomorrow.  I'm on the fence about going with Eid as tomorrow (based on the majority of local Muslims), or day after (based on an announcement from my Shia community from where I'm from).

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, 7ssein said:

Is the announcement official? Has the Seyed's representative announced anything?

You do not need to be a representative of a marja’ to declare eid, it’s all about the sighting of the moon. We as Shias did not spot the moon with our telescopes today in Toronto, therefore we declared eid to be Wednesday. Now you can either trust us and take our word or you can follow another persons word.

17 minutes ago, coldcow said:

What if another mosque in the eastern North American region spotted the moon?  Or even a non-Muslim.  What would y'all do?

I'm curious how different people deal with all the differing opinions on what's required to declare Eid.  I'm currently living in a city without a Shia community, and the local Sunni community is going with Eid tomorrow.  I'm on the fence about going with Eid as tomorrow (based on the majority of local Muslims), or day after (based on an announcement from my Shia community from where I'm from).

Provide proof (picture of the moon) if they saw it. 

• Advanced Member
10 minutes ago, Hassan- said:

You do not need to be a representative of a marja’ to declare eid, it’s all about the sighting of the moon. We as Shias did not spot the moon with our telescopes today in Toronto, therefore we declared eid to be Wednesday. Now you can either trust us and take our word or you can follow another persons word.

Provide proof (picture of the moon) if they saw it. 

Looks like I'll be celebrating eid on Wednesday then (unless another mosque on my horizon sighted it, but there are no reports if that as of now, or if the Seyed's representative announces it is tommorow). Thank you brother.

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, 7ssein said:

Lol I meant is this a sighting picture or just some app?

No, it just says what is there but some people have genuinely sighted it today. 

In perfect conditions today would be eid because everyone would be able to see it then. 

Edited by Ali~J

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

No, it just says what is there but some people have genuinely sighted it today. 

In perfect conditions today would be eid because everyone would be able to see it then. 

Inshallah I think Wednesday is Eid.

Edited by 7ssein
other guy edited his comment

• Advanced Member

I live in Southern Ontario too and it was difficult to see the moon, especially where I live. I live near the escarpment and it was very cloudy. Since there is uncertainty. My family, we travel far in the morning so our fast would break.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, 110_Fatima said:

cloudy. Since there is uncertainty. My family, we travel far in the morning so our fast would break.

Salam but you must do Qadha of it after Eid until next Month of ramadhan

• Veteran Member
13 hours ago, blazini said:

Salaam, 

Sayed Ali Khamenei's office will not announce for Western regions.g United States, and the fact that we are allowed to use a telescope. 

Edited by realizm
@mods can you please delete, sth went wrong

• Veteran Member
13 hours ago, blazini said:

Salaam, 

:salam:

All respect due, local representatives are not that trustworthy, they do not take anybody's word except theirs.

Here in France they ignored a Muslim Observatory announcement for the first day of Ramadan (proven with pictures), I do not even know if they had heard about it. So they fasted a day later.

And ironically, all the muqallids including some who might have  read that report followed them. 

• Advanced Member
Just now, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Congratulations to the mu'mineen in Polynesia

If there was a Seyed Khoei representative living in Polynesia, they'd have the same months as Sayed Fadlullah (for any region that shares night). That would be pretty sick.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Article from Space.com posted 19 hours ago:

You won't see the moon in the sky tonight. Here are some other reasons to look up.

https://www.space.com/17561-new-moon-explained-lunar-phases.html

But the month never exceeds 30 days whether the moon is sighted or not. 

• Veteran Member
8 minutes ago, Guest Doode said:

For Sistani followers, does that mean Eid is on Thursday...?

The article was referring to 3rd June which was the new moon, just it is not visible, which is why those of the opinion that it must be seen (like Sistani), would most likely do it tomorrow (Weds the 5th), moon should be visible tonight.

As far as I know nothing has been announced, but it is looking that way. I'm heading to my Shia centre tonight insha'Allah so hopefully we'll know for sure by then.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Guest Doode
2 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

The article was referring to 3rd June which was the new moon, just it is not visible, which is why those of the opinion that it must be seen (like Sistani), would most likely do it tomorrow (Weds the 5th), moon should be visible tonight.

As far as I know nothing has been announced, but it is looking that way. I'm heading to my Shia centre tonight insha'Allah so hopefully we'll know for sure by then.

For those in Europe (we started a day later) , would we do it on Thursday if it isn't visible today? Meaning two days after Saudi-Arabia?

• Veteran Member
14 minutes ago, Guest Doode said:

For those in Europe (we started a day later) , would we do it on Thursday if it isn't visible today? Meaning two days after Saudi-Arabia?

I'm in United Kingdom, as far as I'm currently aware, it looks likely tomorrow, which would be 29 days of Ramadan. 

IF not visible then yes wpuld be Thursday thus 30 days. But most agree it will be Wednesday.

• Moderators
In the Name of the Most High 
Praise be to Allah Lord of the worlds and peace and blessings be upon Mohammed and his pure household 

According to the announcement from the office of H. E. Ayatullah Seestani (long may he live) in the holy city of Najaf, Wednesday 5 June is the first day of Eid al-Fitr in the United Kingdom and most of Europe, except in northern Scandinavia and Russia. 

Eid prayers will be held at the following address on Wednesday morning at 8am.
75 Brondesbury Park
London NW6 7AX

Eid Mubarak