Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Islandsandmirrors

Hypothyroidism

8 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

And second: How long would it take to wean off medication for mental health? 

How long have you been on it for? As it depends on duration of use. 

2 hours ago, pyaro said:

How long have you been on it for? As it depends on duration of use. 

I’ve been on the lowest dose for 4 years.

11 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Anyway, I was wondering two things: for people who have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, how long would it take for your weight to become stable, and eventually it lead to weight loss? 

You will go up and down in weight as your doctor finds the right dosage for you, but if your dose is correct or too high, you will notice a difference pretty quickly, probably weeks. Of course it'll take time to lose it all. Be patient. 

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’ve been on the lowest dose for 4 years.

Also depends on the type of antidepressant. Some have longer half life than others

Edited by pyaro

Guest WilliamOsler
On 5/31/2019 at 9:01 PM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Anyway, I was wondering two things: for people who have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, how long would it take for your weight to become stable, and eventually it lead to weight loss? 

And second: How long would it take to wean off medication for mental health? 

1) When thyroxine therapy is initiated for hypothyroidism the TSH levels should be measured every 4-8 weeks and the dose adjusted in response until target level is achieved. Once the target TSH has been achieved, the doctor should measure the TSH at 3 and 6 months and then annually thereafter (unless of course you become symptomatic again).

2) As others have stated, it mostly depends on the dose and class of drug that you're on.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:01 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

I have been officially diagnosed with hypothyroidism, after my TSH levels were at 13.

Just wondering, did you get the T3 level test done as well? How was it?

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Just wondering, did you get the T3 level test done as well? How was it?

I believe it was still within the normal range. 

2 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I believe it was still within the normal range. 

Okay can I please ask what symptoms you suffered to get your thyroid tests done in the beginning, if any?

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Okay can I please ask what symptoms you suffered to get your thyroid tests done in the beginning, if any?

Well, I had my annual checkup, which included a blood draw for TSH levels, and it was high back in November. Had to cancel several appointments so a re-test was postponed but during this time, I had very noticeable symptoms.

My symptoms:

- flaky, chronically dry skin that would crack and bleed

- hives

- brain fog

- general lack of energy all day, everyday/fatigue

- weight gain (The most obvious sign since I’ve always been thin.)

1 hour ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Well, I had my annual checkup, which included a blood draw for TSH levels, and it was high back in November. Had to cancel several appointments so a re-test was postponed but during this time, I had very noticeable symptoms.

My symptoms:

- flaky, chronically dry skin that would crack and bleed

- hives

- brain fog

- general lack of energy all day, everyday/fatigue

- weight gain (The most obvious sign since I’ve always been thin.)

Sorry to read this. I hope you get well soon sister. Sorry I have asked so many Q's. Thank you for answering. I have one last question, do you feel better with medication? Is your fatigue and brain fog problem reduced? I read the word depression in the thread somewhere. I hope you are only getting better and better. Are you? I also hope your tests were thorough and ruled out other things like diabetes. Some times there is a complication which is overlooked and sometimes there is a false alarm (which is why I asked about T3, a doctor told me that T3 (or was it T4?) level is most important to determine if medication is needed). To be honest I am asking these questions because sometimes my own random medical test results sometimes become abnormal and then I worry, ask around getting second opinions to be sure and scour google to learn as well.

Guest WilliamOsler
19 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

To be honest I am asking these questions because sometimes my own random medical test results sometimes become abnormal and then I worry, ask around getting second opinions to be sure and scour google to learn as well.

It's very important to bear in mind that the predictive value of tests declines when they're not done on the appropriate patients. Randomly testing people for diseases that they're not at risk for leads to false positives, for example.

I heard from someone that had experience with it that you should see results fairly quickly. 

As for your second question, I think for everyone it'd be different. But if you try to wean off of it and you see negative results, let your doctor know as soon as you can.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:55 PM, Darth Vader said:

Sorry to read this. I hope you get well soon sister. Sorry I have asked so many Q's. Thank you for answering. I have one last question, do you feel better with medication? Is your fatigue and brain fog problem reduced? I read the word depression in the thread somewhere. I hope you are only getting better and better. Are you? I also hope your tests were thorough and ruled out other things like diabetes. Some times there is a complication which is overlooked and sometimes there is a false alarm (which is why I asked about T3, a doctor told me that T3 (or was it T4?) level is most important to determine if medication is needed). To be honest I am asking these questions because sometimes my own random medical test results sometimes become abnormal and then I worry, ask around getting second opinions to be sure and scour google to learn as well.

Hey sorry about the late response. I saw your response on another thread and I remembered that I hadn’t responded to this post yet. 

1. I feel significantly better with the medication. I feel mostly myself. I sometimes get aches where my thyroid would be, but nothing serious. 

2. I don’t feel fatigued anymore. As for depression, I also no longer feel depressed.

3. No, no diabetes. My other results were normal. I think it was my TSH that was high and I think my T4? I’m not sure. But I do know that it was my TSH levels that was high.