Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

• Moderators

Salam

My current gig is as a stay-at-home mom, but my kids are going to grow up inshallah, and I'm a mom not a maid. I'd like to decide what kind of work to train for when my children are older. 

My background is land development civil engineering, but I've also worked in aquatic ecology a good bit, and I'm generally interested in and good at science and problem solving. Working in aquatic ecology, I became frustrated by the manipulation of data to satisfy clients. Also, my education is in engineering, so I tended to be given more management oriented, less science oriented work. I worked for many years in civil engineering, and I was constantly required to violate my ethics and principles for the sake of satisfying clients. 

Does an ethical kind of work exist? 

I love astronomy and planetary science, but after learning how intertwined these sciences are with war and weapons, I've decided the world has enough astronomers. 

And now I've got to decide what to "be when I grow up". 

In your opinion, what does the world need?

And can that be done without ethical compromises? 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Endangered wildlife and plant conservation

My daughter wants to do that. 

Part of me just wants to be a farmer, but then I remember my poor unfortunate potted plants. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

Teaching seems ethical and very important, depending on your interest.

I am teacher and while it is one of the 'cleaner' professions I had to give up my last job because of ethical issues. But yes, it's still one of the better options.

@notme any opportunities for free lancing in civil engineering?  Like, do a small project instead of a job.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, starlight said:

@notme any opportunities for free lancing in civil engineering?  Like, do a small project instead of a job.

I used to do that, when the recession was at its worst and nobody was hiring. But now I live in an area where nobody knows me or my work, and I have no idea how to market myself.

Definitely when I could choose my own projects I didn't have to do anything unethical. If I had been asked, I could have just refused and refunded their money, but I was never asked. I designed ponds and storm sewers, and a little assorted other parts of work. Someone else was responsible for ordering the destruction of pristine forests and meadows to put in more middle class subdivisions and strip malls. 

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, notme said:

I worked for many years in civil engineering, and I was constantly required to violate my ethics and principles for the sake of satisfying clients. 

How? Just curious.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Reza said:

How? Just curious.

Little things. Only once something probably illegal.

For example once ordering the removal of an acre of 500+ year old trees to save the client $1000. That made me feel sick, but he owns the land, what can I do. 

The one that was probably illegal, I refused to do. My boss wanted me to cut off a topographic map so it wasn't evident to plan reviewers that he was trying to push water uphill. He reasoned that it wasn't going to be built anyway, it was just a requirement to get approval of another plan and the client would pay the penalty fine for not completing it as agreed. That's definitely deceptive and unethical, and probably also illegal. 

I got into engineering because academia teaches that the job of engineers is to find the balance between immediate and future needs, between economic and environmental needs, between development and preservation, and that appeals to me. In practice, it was false. It was all about the money. 

• Advanced Member

Well working as a Civil Engineer for the government sector seems ethical. The world will always need Civil Engineers, and it's actually a very rewarding career knowing how your efforts will impact the community.

I've worked in a local government authority during my vacation program, and you literally put the community and stakeholders above everything. You also have to get an approval for any construction works on heritage listed sites. There's a lot of rules and regulations if you work in the government sector, and it's got a very nice culture if you really want to stick to your principles of integrity, respect etc. 

• Moderators

@ali_fatheroforphans my first full time civil engineering job was with a municipality and I loved it. Unfortunately, my employment was always meant to be temporary and when the permanent employee returned I was let go. 

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Diaz said:

This topic is helpful for me, till now I don’t know what I want to become. 

I advise you strongly to read the book I mentioned above:
https://www.al-Islam.org/secrets-success-ayatullah-mirza-jafar-subhani

It is said that it is a book for the youth but I believe it can benefit many of the older as well.
It is written by an Ayatullah.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

I advise you strongly to read the book I mentioned above:
https://www.al-Islam.org/secrets-success-ayatullah-mirza-jafar-subhani

It is said that it is a book for the youth but I believe it can benefit many of the older as well.
It is written by an Ayatullah.

Thank you brother, I will start reading it tomorrow. Will inform you once I’m done.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, IbnSina said:

I would recommend choosing something which could be useful to the Imam(ajf) when he establishes his kingdom in the near future.

Like what, for example? Martial arts? Cooking? Writing? Men and women will have different roles; are there differences in what one should learn? 

And can a person make a career of it during the wait? 

• Advanced Member
On 5/28/2019 at 5:51 AM, notme said:

Salam

My current gig is as a stay-at-home mom, but my kids are going to grow up inshallah, and I'm a mom not a maid. I'd like to decide what kind of work to train for when my children are older. 

My background is land development civil engineering, but I've also worked in aquatic ecology a good bit, and I'm generally interested in and good at science and problem solving. Working in aquatic ecology, I became frustrated by the manipulation of data to satisfy clients. Also, my education is in engineering, so I tended to be given more management oriented, less science oriented work. I worked for many years in civil engineering, and I was constantly required to violate my ethics and principles for the sake of satisfying clients. 

I love astronomy and planetary science, but after learning how intertwined these sciences are with war and weapons, I've decided the world has enough astronomers. 

First and foremost I applaud you for wanting to serve mankind. With that being said the two greatest things that can be done (especially with your excellent background) is access to clean water and food stuffs. 

If I had your expertise and knowledge I would most likely try to start an aquaponics farm and use the food to feed my community and donate to the less fortunate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics?wprov=sfla1

What ever you decide I hope Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) blesses you and your efforts.

• Advanced Member
On 5/28/2019 at 1:51 PM, notme said:

The world needs billionaires with pure hearts.

But for 99.99% of the population, you just have lug out like everyone else for about 18 years in my case till you start working. 

Firstly, and I'll speak from experience here, when kids are young they do have dreams and they do want to be this and that but they almost never get there. I was the same, I actually wanted to be a pilot but the maths and physics needed was simply not compatible with my brain. And I won't be able to get there. What I'm saying is, kids will want to have jobs but they will not be suitable for the subjects required. 

Since the subjects studied for 14 long years will decide everything, the question that should be asked is not:

"What subjects do I need for this job I like ?"

But rather

"Which jobs can I get with these subjects I like?"

Because often you will find that the jobs kids want to do simply don't reflect their subjects that they are good at (take my case for example). So in 2019 it is very important to just expose kids to the subjects (maths, science, english etc etc) so the question above ^ can be answered. 

• Advanced Member

Imam Ali’s cure for the 21st century ! -Sayed Mohammed Baqer Al-Qazwini

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member
On 5/28/2019 at 10:51 PM, notme said:

Salam

the world needs God and Religion!!!

this is something the world lacks today.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, YaAli.313 said:

the world needs God and Religion!!!

this is something the world lacks today.

Sure, but I was talking about professions that are beneficial to humanity. Context is important.