In the Name of God بسم الله

Zakaat on currency other than gold/silver coins

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I have come across this opinion that zakaat is on money also other than gold/silver coins

like in the following lecture by Syed Jawad Naqvi as per 12 minutes on

He mentions zakaat was later introduced on horses and rice also after the Prophets (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) time as that was what the people started possessing.

He was also mentioning how is it that a rich factory owner don’t have to pay zakaat but a poor farmer as to pay zakaat on his few animals.

while studying about zakaat, it seems that main guide is that the zakaat is on gold or silver coins that are used as currency but now there are views that it's on note currency also n some say it's precautionary caution to give on those as well.

Really confused about the matter of zakaat now.

Thoughts?

Edited by Questioner

• Moderators

Salam alaikum wa rahmatullah

What is clear is that zakat in general is highly recommended. According to our fiqh it's obligation is limited to 9 different items:

Coins: silver; gold

Cattle: cows; sheep and goats; camels

Crops: wheat; barley; dates; raisins

You can find some more details here: Link

Wallahu a'lam 

• Veteran Member

:salam:

Sorry but you will probably not find the answer here. 

This topic is recurrent, and Shia fiqh always sticked to its initial position.

Only farmers pay the zakaat, regular people or multi billionnaires do not.

Sadat and the Hawza get large amounts from khums, and the poor from amongst regular people share the small sums of zakat.

I find this unjust, and it is.

A more just solution for this : every layman gives money as sadaqa so every poor can benefit from it, not just sadat.

• Veteran Member

If from our fiqh most of us non farmers do not fall in the category of having to pay Zakat due to not using gold/silver currency and that we must be Khums, then we are relying on Sunnis to pay Zakat which is wajib on them if they meet the requirements.

How is it just for the poor non-Sayids (who form the majority of the poor) IF Sunnis did not pay Zakat and we are not obliged. Sadaqah in general is paid as and when and not a compulsory tax as such.

I understand the benefits of Khums in keeping howza non reliant on governments and helps fund students and poor Sayids, but Zakat is mentioned alongside Salah in numerous places. 

In the days of gold currency, were Shia expected to pay Zakat and Khums?

• Advanced Member

2: 219. ....................... They ask you about how much they should spend in Allah’s way, say, “Spend whatever is surplus to your needs!” Thus Allah gives you clear signs so that you may reflect upon them.

Edited by Raheel Yunus

Guest Questioner
1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

If from our fiqh most of us non farmers do not fall in the category of having to pay Zakat due to not using gold/silver currency and that we must be Khums, then we are relying on Sunnis to pay Zakat which is wajib on them if they meet the requirements.

How is it just for the poor non-Sayids (who form the majority of the poor) IF Sunnis did not pay Zakat and we are not obliged. Sadaqah in general is paid as and when and not a compulsory tax as such.

I understand the benefits of Khums in keeping howza non reliant on governments and helps fund students and poor Sayids, but Zakat is mentioned alongside Salah in numerous places. 

In the days of gold currency, were Shia expected to pay Zakat and Khums?

I have the same question.

Its really confusing.

Lets say if on money we pay zakaat as a pre caution.

Then how to calculate how much goes for zakaat and how much goes for khums? How to deduct and calculate? 

• Moderators

I don’t know why you guys assume that khums either goes to the hawza or to the poor sadaat. There are several institutions that have received an ijazah to collect khums. Some of them are The Lady Fatimah Trust, Noor Orphans Trust, Zahra Trust and the Afghan Relief Fund all of which I highly recommend. There are of course many others. It is quite common for new masajid or Islamic centers to receive permission for funding when they are being established. 

Either way, sadaqah and zakaat are both highly recommended and emphasized so there is no good reason for people to neglect either. 

Wallahu a'lam

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Guest Questioner said:

I have the same question.

Its really confusing.

Lets say if on money we pay zakaat as a pre caution.

Then how to calculate how much goes for zakaat and how much goes for khums? How to deduct and calculate? 

Zakaat is 2.5pct of your income, Khums is 20pct of your gain.

For example:

December 2018 I have 20000 dinars

2019 I earn 100 000 dinars.

I pay 2500 dinars of zakaat.

My remaining (legitimate) expenses for the year amount to 47500 dinars.

So I am left with 70 000 dinars.

My gain is 50 000 dinars for the year.

I pay 10 000 dinars of khums on this. 

I am left with 60 000 dinars in December 2019.

Wallahu a'lam 

Edited by Mahdavist

Guest Questioner
9 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Zakaat is 2.5pct of your income, Khums is 20pct of your gain.

For example:

December 2018 I have 20000 dinars

2019 I earn 100 000 dinars.

I pay 2500 dinars of zakaat.

My remaining (legitimate) expenses for the year amount to 47500 dinars.

So I am left with 70 000 dinars.

My gain is 50 000 dinars for the year.

I pay 10 000 dinars of khums on this. 

I am left with 60 000 dinars in December 2019.

Wallahu a'lam 

I understood the zakaat calculation but not the khums one. don’t understand where all those figures came from.

And for zakaat what if u havent paid in many years. How to calculate then when u can’t track back all the income amount?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Guest Questioner said:

I understood the zakaat calculation but not the khums one. don’t understand where all those figures came from.

And for zakaat what if u havent paid in many years. How to calculate then when u can’t track back all the income amount?

Khums is based on the gain (al ghanimah) . So in December 2018 you had 20 000 dinars. In December 2019 you had 70 000 dinars once you had paid all your bills. The gain is 50 000 dinars. Khums literally means 'one-fifth' which is 10 000 dinars for a gain of 50 000. 

Therefore you pay 10 000 dinars of khums. Your bank balance of 70 000 finally becomes 60 000. 

Wallahu a'lam 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Mahdavist said:

Khums is based on the gain (al ghanimah) . So in December 2018 you had 20 000 dinars. In December 2019 you had 70 000 dinars once you had paid all your bills. The gain is 50 000 dinars. Khums literally means 'one-fifth' which is 10 000 dinars for a gain of 50 000. 

Therefore you pay 10 000 dinars of khums. Your bank balance of 70 000 finally becomes 60 000. 

Wallahu a'lam 

This calculation is much clearer now.

I wonder if any Shias out there decide to give zakaat on their savings too....

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Questioner said:

You mean on the annual income? Since it is mustahab, there are indeed people who do this alhamdulillah. 

Sadly there are also many, both Shia and Sunni, who don't give either khums or zakaat. If each Muslim gave at least one of the two, if not both, then I wonder if there would be any poverty in Muslim countries.

Wallahu a'lam 

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, Questioner said:

:salam:

Some scholars such as the late Sayid Fadhlallah (رضي الله عنه) proposed it. Not sure if this came into practice.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Questioner said:

So in this mustahab zakaat case Shias also follow the 2.5% on income ruling?

How 2 calculate?

Some just pay any amount they consider adequate, keeping in mind that the term zakaat is also used as charity in general.

Regarding the payment of zakat as a fixed proportion of the income, I described it in the example above. You calculate 2.5pct of your annual income. So if your annual salary is 100 000 dinars then you pay 2500 dinars zakat per year. 

Wallahu a'lam 

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Some just pay any amount they consider adequate, keeping in mind that the term zakaat is also used as charity in general.

Regarding the payment of zakat as a fixed proportion of the income, I described it in the example above. You calculate 2.5pct of your annual income. So if your annual salary is 100 000 dinars then you pay 2500 dinars zakat per year. 

Wallahu a'lam 

don’t u have to minus the expense for the year?

If remaining money left after minus expenses is 10000 then zakaat is 250 on it?

Isn't it?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Questioner said:

don’t u have to minus the expense for the year?

If remaining money left after minus expenses is 10000 then zakaat is 250 on it?

Isn't it?

You might be right brother. I assumed it was directly calculated on the income but apparently you can remove expenses first. 

Wallahu a'lam