Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Propaganda_of_the_Deed

One issue I have with English language majalis

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

English is not the most poetic language 

I don't think that's true. It has its own rhythm and patterns. Have you read poetry that was natively written in English? The good stuff is quite evocative. Even some English prose is poetic. 

Just now, notme said:

I don't think that's true. It has its own rhythm and patterns. Have you read poetry that was natively written in English? The good stuff is quite evocative. Even some English prose is poetic. 

Oh like spoken word? 

PS. I especially like the way sheikh Hamza sodagar does his melodious style of English majlis. 

48 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

The alternative is just 'saying' it straight out in English which evokes zero emotion.

Why does it have to between either these extremes and no middle way?

For example, Sayid Moustafa al Qazwini in his series on Imam Ali (عليه السلام) spoke in an engaging, emotive way without having to add any melody to his voice. Granted it is not a majlis, but was sufficient in bringing out emotions in me, especially from 17:55, I ask anyone to watch from there until the end and tell me they felt zero emotions.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Why does it have to between either these extremes and no middle way?

For example, Sayid Moustafa al Qazwini in his series on Imam Ali (عليه السلام) spoke in an engaging, emotive way without having to add any melody to his voice. Granted it is not a majlis, but was sufficient in bringing out emotions in me, especially from 17:55, I ask anyone to watch from there until the end and tell me they felt zero emotions.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you are referring to in your original post. I would ask you to link an example of what you mean but that might be gheeba. Maybe we have different things in mind... 

Edited by ireallywannaknow

6 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you are referring to in your original post. I would ask you to link an example of what you mean but that might be gheeba. Maybe we have different things in mind... 

Indeed, there are plenty examples I can find but would not want to single out anyone in particular in this manner.

But I am glad to see I wasn't the only one anyway.

Guest Nani-Amma

Azadari of Imam Hussain AS took its own distinct form in the Indian sub continent. The majlis structure took its own form of, describing good qualities of Prophet and Ahlul Bayt, followed by rebutting some allegations, both Fiqhi and Ideological, followed by the Grief part, translated as masaeb. Before the lecture part of the majlis, there were two forms added, one was poetry in the praise and other was poetry in the grief. Even before that, there was the Hadith Kisa followed by some Qur'an recitation but both get dropped and picked up given the times and schedules. 

Majlis always ends up with the matam or the standing up hitting your chest while in tandem chanting the names of Imams or some religious poetry. The last part is always the Ziarat, or the standing Salam to the Prophet and all the Imams including the martyrs of Karbala. 

But it took almost 1200 years to get to this though. So like sister @notme said, the western majlis would take some time to get its own form eventually.

Meanwhile justice bear with it, our grand kids would have a much more uniform and stable form of azadari in the West InshAllah. Our struggle would be to keep sticking to it, and transfer it to our next generation in more stronger and solid form. It would be a great injustice to ourselves if we cringe on that part. 

23 minutes ago, haideriam said:

What do you think of this variation?

Sorry but this is kind of what I was talking about. I just feel this is most suited for Arabic/Farsi, not English. I am not a fan.

At some point or another most speakers using this style lose their rythmn and it sounds inconsistent, maybe because English oration was never used for this style, adding melody, etc. One can still add a solemn and an emotive tone without the melody.

1 minute ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Sorry but this is kind of what I was talking about. I just feel this is most suited for Arabic/Farsi, not English. I am not a fan.

At some point or another most speakers using this style lose their rythmn and it sounds inconsistent, maybe because English oration was never used for this style, adding melody, etc. One can still add a solemn and an emotive tone without the melody.

Hey no problem brother, that is what individuality is all about.

I love the adaptation from the older traditional reciters keeping the cultural ties intact cross mixing them to an audience that understand a different language. 

Continuity comes to mind. 

44 minutes ago, haideriam said:

Hey no problem brother, that is what individuality is all about.

I love the adaptation from the older traditional reciters keeping the cultural ties intact cross mixing them to an audience that understand a different language. 

Continuity comes to mind. 

One person’s continuity is another person’s awkwardness and cultural confusion...

Like @notme said, eventually a distinct natural English style will emerge, but until then, this is what we got.