Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
musa shakr

Does long hair have any correlation with spirituality?

Rate this topic

Many faiths like shikism and native American traditions believe that long hair helps you spiritually, some to point of requiring it (for males to). What does Islam say about it. Is it innovation to believe that it  does. I have short and only ever had medium length hair and don't really intend to grow it out but I was curious about it.

Salam having long hair until don't resemble a man like a woman or a group of unbleivers has no problem but having medium length hair is recommended 

I don't think there is any correlation, some people of knowledge had medium length hair and some had less. Beards are longer for scholars apparently (I read it on here somewhere) while laymen can keep it shorter. In Sunni schools they differ on hair length including the beard. In my personal experience it has been people with less hair that were the more spiritually inspirational. 

Sikhism was largely institutionalised by Guru Gobind Singh and I don't remember at which point the hair length was important. He could have introduced it as a practice along with the hair combing and what not. Is it in the Guru Granth Sahib?

The Prophet saw is said to have had shoulder length to ear lobe length depending on narration. 

Which is why (mostly Sunni) brothers grow it as a Sunnah, in a similar fashion to wearing a thobe. I too grew my hair as such and I like it. Though, don't be growing your hair long without a beard...just no (which is wajib anyway).

It was also more customary back then for men, especially when you see depictions in dramatised events in the early Islamic period in TV and film.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

2 hours ago, musa shakr said:

Many faiths like shikism and native American traditions believe that long hair helps you spiritually, some to point of requiring it (for males to). What does Islam say about it. Is it innovation to believe that it  does. I have short and only ever had medium length hair and don't really intend to grow it out but I was curious about it.

Native traditions vary widely regarding hair, which is logical since there are thousand of tribes and all of their beliefs are different. So are hair " styles" and lengths among tribes. For all genders. However, those tribes that have long hair as a strong tradition have good reasons regarding it that and, As far as I know, no introduced faith has stamped them out,even though the different Churches  often tried and in the boarding schools sheared the boys to try to humiliate them and destroy the culture. However, there was pushback. It succeeded. Now most of both  the Catholic and Traditional men still wear their braids and tradish proudly around here, including my husband and all of my sons. According to his parents, so will my grandson. Just my two cents. 

Guest theObserver

il tell you an interesting observation, although to answer the question first no it doesnt have anything to do with spirituality, otherwise it would be called matteriality not SPIRITuality

usually people who go forth to attain or practise spirituality one of the first and most common practises amongst such people is to fast alot, even the Prophet and Imams recommended fasting for spirtiuality and there is a whole hadith qudsi which talks about the importance of being hungry while seeking to grow and train your spirit

so what happens physically is that actually they find that their hair and nails grow much quicker and longer than usual, the reason for this is that hair is made from cancel cells in your body as well as your fingernails, and when a person fasts physically what happens is that the body starts to break down all the lowest cells in the body first to deal with the loss of energy that it is not getting anymore from food, so basically ur body starts to go for all the cancer cells first amongst other things to break down and give back energy to your body which it is missing when the food is not coming anymore, we might call this the "detox"

and when your body is breaking down cancer cells that automatically means that you get faster hair and nail growth, and I have experienced this first hand, your hair will grow faster p to 3 times, so hence maybe people that get into spiritual practises notice that they are quickly growing their hair back so hence they just leave it instead of continuously needing haircuts

so definitely hair growth increases three fold when you are practising fasting often , so maybe that is why people in that practise tend to have alot of noticeable hair on their head , and we being humans and seeing patterns tend to associate long hair with spiritual people, cause we see the pattern associated with them

19 minutes ago, Guest theObserver said:

hair is made from cancel cells in your body as well as your fingernails

:einstein::einstein: What? 

Hair cells are epithelial cells with a covering of protein called keratin. 

Guest theObserver
3 hours ago, starlight said:

:einstein::einstein: What? 

Hair cells are epithelial cells with a covering of protein called keratin. 

my apology I didnt fact check that piece of information, I was told by somebody that hair is made up of cancer cells in our body or tumor parts in our body

clearly this is not the case im sorry for not checking before I posted that

however I do testify from years of experience when you fast on a regular consecutively that your hair and nails grow three times the speed of normal growing time

this I am 100% sure of from over a decade of experience, the amount that my hair would grow in a week, would take normal people 3 weeks or even a month

For some reason this thread brought to mind the bizarre Judeo-Christian tale/myth of Samson in the Bible (Old Testament) :hahaha: 

Guest theObserver
6 hours ago, HakimPtsid said:

For some reason this thread brought to mind the bizarre Judeo-Christian tale/myth of Samson in the Bible (Old Testament) :hahaha: 

isnt it interesting how its opposite? you would think by eating more would stimulate more growth etc, but actually by not eating causes more growth

Yeah I have long hair. I don't feel spiritual. It just hurts every morning to brush it. Lol. 

Edited by Ali~J

On 5/25/2019 at 5:20 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam having long hair until don't resemble a man like a woman or a group of unbleivers has no problem but having medium length hair is recommended 

What is meant by medium hair? Can you tell length

13 minutes ago, Flying_Eagle said:

What is meant by medium hair? Can you tell length

I associate medium length hair as long enough to sweep back or to the side but no longer in length than your chin. Anything longer is long. 

The Prophet's hair was medium length according to descriptions.

1 minute ago, aaaz1618 said:

I associate medium length hair as long enough to sweep back or to the side but no longer in length than your chin. Anything longer is long. 

The Prophet's hair was medium length according to descriptions.

I will keep such hair in my life.