Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Ramadan Kareem everyone,

Hope you all are doing well in this blessed month,

I would like to talk about something that a lot of people tend to struggle with - and that is motivation.

Being motivated isn't just about gaining motivation from others or hearing spoken words or watching an inspirational video; no ones going to motivate you other than yourself. Receiving motivation from others isn't enough. You can motivate others and they'll feel inspired, but its all up to them if they act upon it, rather than just listening. I feel like most people nowadays just listen but not take action, including those like myself.

In life, we can only suffer and go through pain to get where we want to be; we must go through many trials and difficulties to reach our goals. And a lot of people don't want to have to face that, so they choose to delay and procrastinate. We've all been there. As I mentioned in another post, I used to always give up when it came to my health, you know why? Because I listened to others and not myself. Some people would say that I didn't need to lose weight and others would say I should; and I didn't know who I was meant to listen to. That's why when it comes to achieving your goals, only listen to what your mind tells you and don't listen to what others need to say. A lot of people will bring you down, say stuff that'll make you feel worthless and hopeless, because they think you will never be able to succeed. I never thought I'd able to shed a lot of pounds until I motivated myself regardless of what people had to say. 

In the end, all that pain and suffering was truly worth it. You've finally reached where you wanted to be, that's when you'll look back and realise the amount of effort you chose to put to make your dreams a reality. You thank Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) because He willed you to get there and He knew that you wouldn't give up.

@Ruqaya101 @2Timeless @ali_fatheroforphans @Sumerian @Gaius I. Caesar @Islandsandmirrors

@Tima  @strength=Abbas @Bakir

Beautiful thread - I really needed it to be honest.

I may go off-topic a little, but what I am going to talk about is very relevant when it comes to motivation.

This disease of caring too much about "what others think of you" can hinder our personal growth and progression in life. Even if you pick a crowd of one hundred people, there will always be that one dude who will hate you for the silliest reasons you'd ever imagine. This is the nature of life, not everyone will support us in our journey to achieve our desired goals. 

Like you said, "only listen to what your mind says", this mindset can actually be life-changing.  We often create these mental images in our heads and want everyone to validate it. There are times where we subconsciously find that we're constantly seeking the approval of others. It's different if you ask your loved ones, such as your parents etc. but constantly asking people actually lowers your confidence and you will find it hard to achieve your goals. Think about it, if we constantly want people to tell us how to live life, then that means we have no idea of the life we want to live. It's this mindset which affects a lot of the youth in the West - they live their life trying to fit in society, and in turn forgetting about the actual true path which will bring them salvation. I myself was affected by this disease, and now I'd like to think that it's not as intense as before. I always gave too much thought about the opinion others held of me. This is mentally draining because why should other people affect the way I want to live life? I am certain that the path of Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) is the only pure path that will bring me success in this world as well as the hereafter. If I start paying attention to the good and bad opinions of others, then it means that I really don't have conviction. We shouldn't depend on these random opinions people constantly throw like stones, because it's just a part of life. For example, when I started going to the mosque, my own dad started calling me an extremist. Back then, I actually got very affected and would turn away from faith at times. However, now I've realised that you won't always have support, even if it's someone from your own family. Even when Prophets started preaching, not everyone supported them, a lot actually mocked them. Imam Hussein (عليه السلام) was willing to sacrifice his life by standing up against oppression, but how many supported him? These great personalities had true faith and only focused on the path which really mattered to them.

So yeah, the biggest motivation for me is to simply focus on what I need to do in life to live a life which is worth living. If we live life having a firm foundation and belief system, not a single person can affect us. If you want to lose weight, don't let it be because of the fact that you got called fat etc. It should simply be because you truly want to do it for yourself. If someone wants to be achieve high levels of iman, our intention should be pure and our only aim should be to please Allah. I agree with you so much!!!!! Change comes from within. People can say stuff to us constantly, but if we have no desire to change ourselves, nothing will change. 

I hate to be a buzzkill but pain and suffering can be subjective. Sometimes I'll talk about my  life and somebody will  say "That must be difficult" and yet, I did it anyway. I don't realize that they wouldn't last a mile in my shoes or that I did it the difficult way at all. I agree with Ali that if there is no desire to change, nothing will ever change and people will stagnate in doing so.

17 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

iA maybe I’ll tell y’all when I decide to read this post later. 

brother you can't motivate yourself to read this post rn, don't know what advice to expect from you :hahaha:

Oh Maryam.  Well done. A nice thread .

First of all, tnx for tagging me!

To be honest, I've been always struggling with being motivated ! Wish I could share the pic of my room which I have a board in it that I've written many many inspirational words on it . 

One of the reasons that I ended up being an introverted is that I prefer to have my own world with no expectation from anyone. I should cheer myself up when I feel down ,I do get help from others too but I'm not dependent on them, actually whenever I relied on them for this , I learned that I shouldn't have !

It's good that ppl correct u when ur wrong, but they also kinda make u doubt urself . I mean imagine u have a goal n ur supposed to do as hard as u can to achieve it but instead u waste ur time thinking if ur goal is right or not , bcuz ur friend has made u doubt ur goal ! This is another reason of me being introverted!

So yeah , I know these all, but after all I find myself with self doubt !! I could be a way muuccchhhh better n more successful person if I didn't doubt my abilities...

46 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

brother you can't motivate yourself to read this post rn, don't know what advice to expect from you :hahaha:

I'm done :hahaha::hahaha:

@3wliya_maryam I hope you're not getting annoyed by all the laughter in your thread, I'm sure your post is probably really nice.

Edited by AStruggler

Motivation comes from proper contemplation. When the subconscious is convinced that it must act, then it will drive you to act. If it has doubts (or is forgetful) then it will falter. You must teach the subconscious through exhaustive contemplation. You can also teach it through action that removes it's aversion to performing that act.

BTW listen to David Goggins. He swears a lot but you will benefit from him. His life-story is extraordinary and it will make you feel humble. He shares that view with you about (not benefiting from) listening to the motivational speech of others.