Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AmirioTheMuzzy

How did YOU increase your Islamic knowledge?

Rate this topic

I want to increase my knowledge. Any advice? I know this is a vague question, and it varies from person to person, so that is why I would like to simply hear how YOU increased YOUR knowledge. Even if the advice does not apply to me, eventually I will get a response that will. Insha'Allah.

JazakAllah Khair

Wassalam

Guest Aonfc
21 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

I want to increase my knowledge. Any advice? I know this is a vague question, and it varies from person to person, so that is why I would like to simply hear how YOU increased YOUR knowledge. Even if the advice does not apply to me, eventually I will get a response that will. Insha'Allah.

JazakAllah Khair

Wassalam

Salam brother 

You should listen to majalis on youtube it's easily available these days.. 

And then you can also read a book of Allama majlisi ie Hayat ul qulub vol 1 &2 there you will get to know from creation of this duniya , Adam as and stories  about all Prophets and so on you may gain some insight into Islamic knowledge.  

1 hour ago, Guest Aonfc said:

Salam brother 

You should listen to majalis on youtube it's easily available these days.. 

And then you can also read a book of Allama majlisi ie Hayat ul qulub vol 1 &2 there you will get to know from creation of this duniya , Adam as and stories  about all Prophets and so on you may gain some insight into Islamic knowledge.  

:salam:

Hayat al qulub is a good option. I would recommend the Torah and some of tbe New Testament too, it may help understand the differences between Islam as it is today and how it was prescribed for bani Israel... and also identify some Quranic references.

Yeah, as the above really. I read some books by scholars, watched lectures put on YouTube and whatnot, read Qur'an, read the works of Imam Ali ibn Husayn,  peace be upon him, such as Risalat Al-Huquq. They all give you an idea not just on knowledge but also on how we should live our lives which is some of the best knowledge of all.

Alhamdulilah, 

Great Recommendations in the comments. I absolutely love Qulub 1-3.

The increase in Knowledge however comes in measurements from Allah. Your struggles and experiences in life plays a part in as to how the knowledge disperses itself and how it reflects upon you through self reflection.

There are a lot of people who increase their reading to increase their knowledge but they don’t have the wisdom to go along with their knowledge. So ask Allah for not just knowledge but to increase your Hikmah(wisdom) to go along with your knowledge.

Inshallah Keep doing what your doing by studying and talking to those with knowledge. It will all come together as your life progresses and you experience the joys and sorrows of life, And it’s ups and down and success and failures.  

Actually One of my favorite stories in Qulub is in the story of Yunus (عليه السلام). in regards to his follower Tanookhaa and Roobeel. Absolutely awesome and so many lessons in that story. 

Another thing is don’t be prejudiced in reading. Everything doesn’t have to be Shia based to learn. Al-Islam.org is my favorite but there are subjective opinions in certain books on there that I don’t agree with sometimes. Everything else dealing Ahlul Bayt is great. 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola

What would people recommend to read first, Hayat Al-Qulub Vol. 2 by Allama Majlesi, The Message by Sheikh Subhani, The Life of Muhammad by Allama Qarashi, or a different book?

And for the life of the Imams, would people recommend Hayat Al Qulub Vol. 3 by Allama Majlesi, the many books by Allama Qarashi, or Kitab Al Irshad by Sheikh Mufeed?

Thanks

12 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

JazakAllah Khair

Wassalam

We must understand that Knowledge is nothing else but the Divine in us. It reveals Itself when our hearts are pure enough to receive It. Not by our doing, but by Its own doing is It revealed; that is why It is referred to as grace of Allah.

Grace of Allah cannot be explained. If it was something that could be explained in terms of cause and effect, then it wouldn’t be grace. Grace means something freely given, without cause or effect. You can’t earn grace; but, on the other hand, grace is never withheld from those who seek it with a pure heart. That Divine grace manifests in many different ways but is always leading the individual to the path of spiritual realization. The truth is that it is Allah’s grace that is the only cause of Self-realization; and it is entirely independent of human effort.

If you are willing to spend a few coin ($450 US) per semester eHawza.com is pretty awesome. I can not recommend it enough. I have no doubt you are more knowledgeable than I so you may not find the same value in it that I do. However, I would like to point out it is self-paced with a 9-month window allowed per semester.  So if you find the course material unchallenging you can always speed through to reach the interesting bits. I really like Sheikh Mansour (his personal story is also interesting) the founder of the school who is also the lecturer. 

I have only completed the first course, Introduction to Islam and am now working on the course Ahlul-Bayt ((عليه السلام)). I am only 4 lessons in and am honestly excited to learn more. Please find some reference links below should you wish to explore more. 

School:

eHawza.com 

Founder and lecturer:

https://ehawza.com/hawza/about/founder 

Elephant jumping on a trampoline, because why not? 

raw

I will respond to this as modestly as I can.

I read the entire Qur'an in a translation I understood at least 4 times. And every time I did, there was always something that seemed NEW and relevant to what I was going through at the time. It was like whoa. 0_0

Also I read the entire contents to a translated version of Bukhari's compilation of hadiths once. I'm currently in the middle of the compilations of Muslim and then plan to do Tirmidhi's, but I'm kinda stuck right now. I recently got a PS4 Pro and the Resident Evil 2 remake. >___< So good.