Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Fouad

Ruling of Wolves/Dogs and their Najis Qualities

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Guest Fouad

My question is surrounding the Najis nature of dogs. If a dog is a pure breed and direct descendant of the wolf would it still be considered Najis? The dog breeds in question include but are not limited to the Siberian Husky, Shiba Inu, and the Alaskan malamute. From my understanding, these dogs originate as wolves and are bred for certain characteristics and personality traits until the desired creature is achieved. In essence, the Alaskan Malamute, for example, was bred from wolves for sled pulling and aiding humans in their treks through the cold tundra. As a result of the breeding, the Alaskan Malamute was created, a more tame version of the wolf who's goal was to aid the human. 

Technically still a wolf right even though considered a breed of dog. I realize if the dog is a cross breed between a purebred and dog then it would be considered Najis. 

Clarification regarding this matter would be very much appreciated. 
Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Guest Fouad said:

If a dog is a pure breed and direct descendant of the wolf would it still be considered Najis? The dog breeds in question include but are not limited to the Siberian Husky, Shiba Inu, and the Alaskan malamute. From my understanding, these dogs originate as wolves and are bred for certain characteristics and personality traits until the desired creature is achieved.

All dogs are descended from a common wolf ancestor.

There is no "direct descendent" of the today's grey wolf. Some breeds share more DNA than others though.

According to a DNA study of 85 domestic dog breeds performed by members of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, published by National Geographic, the Shiba Inu and chow chow are the two breeds most closely related to wolves. Other breeds more closely related to the wolf include the Akita, Alaskan malamute, basenji, and Chinese shar-pei While these breeds tend to share more of their DNA with the gray wolf, keep in mind that our canine companions separated from their distant wolf relatives around 15,000 years ago or more, when they first became domesticated by humans.

Even hybrid wolf dogs are still consideres dogs.

Wolves are pure but good luck in having one as a pet. Would be cool though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolves are not dogs even though they look similar. And I haven't read a hadith declaring them najis. Also some may be surprised to know that wolves do not consume human flesh even if available, unless properly starving. Whereas people who die alone in their homes are often found half eaten, eaten by their pet dogs and cats, leaving only the hands that fed them intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Vader said:

Wolves are not dogs even though they look similar. And I haven't read a hadith declaring them najis. Also some may be surprised to know that wolves do not consume human flesh even if available, unless properly starving. Whereas people who die alone in their homes are often found half eaten, eaten by their pet dogs and cats, leaving only the hands that fed them intact.

It is sad the cultural vilification wolves (and sharks) get, especially in European folklore which contributed to their persecution and near extinction.

It was only later many realised their presence in the food chain was beneficial for eco systems and the environment (less grazing, destruction of plant wild life, etc). They were successfully reintroduced in Yellowstone.

There is also debate to gave them back in Scotland, which has not yet materialised.

Such beautiful, misunderstood creatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was actually going to get one of those wolfdogs before, I did days of research and everything, but then I find out that EVEN they [the wolfdogs] are HARAAM!! :ranting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

I was actually going to get one of those wolfdogs before, I did days of research and everything, but then I find out that EVEN they [the wolfdogs] are HARAAM!! :ranting:

Get a cat brother, they are the best creatures in the world. XD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Diaz said:

Get a cat brother, they are the best creatures in the world. XD 

Oh I have one actually, his name is Biscuit, will be 3 years old in September, had him since he was a tiny kitten. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Haraam to keep indoors

 

8 hours ago, Ali~J said:

I was actually going to get one of those wolfdogs before, I did days of research and everything, but then I find out that EVEN they [the wolfdogs] are HARAAM!! :ranting:

@Hassu93 , @Darth Vader

Not Haram actually according to Sayyed Al Sistani (May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) prolong his life). Not sure about other Shia authorities. 

Question: Is it permissible to keep a dog as a pet in my house?

Answer: It is better not to, and its preferable to choose another animal as a pet, as a dog is ritually impure (Najis) according to Islamic law, and thus it would cause one to live with considerable difficulty. It's also been mentioned that prayers in a place with a dog around is abominable (Makrooh).

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01130/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Answer: It is better not to, and its preferable to choose another animal as a pet, as a dog is ritually impure (Najis) according to Islamic law, and thus it would cause one to live with considerable difficulty. It's also been mentioned that prayers in a place with a dog around is abominable (Makrooh).

Yes, but if keeping a najis animal interferes with practicing the religion (because it is najis) then as an obligatory precaution it must be haraam to keep one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wolves don't make good companion animals for humans. Why throw 10,000 years of domestication out the window? Even northern breeds are challenging sometimes. Mine is sweet but stubborn. The wolf-dog that used to live down the street was a mess. Howled all day,got loose and  attacked my dogs. Wolves belong with their own kind,In my humble opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would a dog interfere with practicing Islam ? 

You wash before prayer and you never wear my everyday clothes to pray. I always use an abaya. This way I ensure that my clothing is clean. We have a prayer room for our prayers and religious time such as meditation and reading Qur'an. 

The reason why we have this set up is because we wouldn’t read the Qur'an sat on the sofa because we sometimes lay down on the sofa  therefore our feet would be where the Qur'an has been or their abouts. 

The reason why I ask the question is because the are very smart from a young age. They listen to command. And can be restricted to parts of the house. It doesn’t change the way you practise the religion, it just makes your more swear of what you are doing and how. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

@Hassu93 , @Darth Vader

Not Haram actually according to Sayyed Al Sistani (May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) prolong his life). Not sure about other Shia authorities. 

Question: Is it permissible to keep a dog as a pet in my house?

Answer: It is better not to, and its preferable to choose another animal as a pet, as a dog is ritually impure (Najis) according to Islamic law, and thus it would cause one to live with considerable difficulty. It's also been mentioned that prayers in a place with a dog around is abominable (Makrooh).

https://www.Sistani.org/english/qa/01130/

May Allah keep with us the dear sayyed Sistani, he is the flower we all wear on our heads and chests, and without him I fear bad things for our world. Please all pray for his health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...